• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital to Analog Using Roon Nucleus

SWH

I have a Roon Nucleus (new) with Samsung 2 TB SSD, 2 Bryston 7B mono amps, and 2 B&W 802D Speakers. I have no analog files and am only interested in playing back digital hi-res files from Tidal and Qobuz. All my gear and internet connection are in my basement except the speakers which are on the 1st floor. I am seeking a good DAC/preamp to connect between the Roon & Bryston amps. It appears that I must place any new DAC/Preamp in the basement. The DAC/Preamps I have been looking at would seem to be very hard to use making changes and going up and down stairs to evaluate. Their remotes or apps seem very limited. Curious about suggestions to a solution such as a robust app with a very good DAC/Preamp. I have been looking at the Topping D90SE and the RME ADI-2 FS 2 Channel DA Converter. Open to all opinions and appreciative of all suggestions.

OP
S

SWH

Are you talking about volume control or something else?
I am talking about all aspects of the DAC/Preamp including volume control. For instance, the Topping D90SE has a series of options/settings available manually on its small screen to scroll through and modify and it can only be done at the unit. Other DACs that I have seen have multiple buttons on the units to press to hear different filters that are applied (hopefully the right terminology) that also require you to be at the unit to touch. Hopefully, this helps explain what I mean. I am new to this so please ask for clarification on any statement that may be ambiguous. And thanks for your interest.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately -- as you point out -- the remotes on DACs (the ones that have remotes) are not fully featured: power on/off, volume up/down, that's about it. But even if they were:
  • You still almost always need the on-screen display to know what you're doing with the remote.
  • The remote won't have a strong enough single to transmit between the 1st floor and the basement. (IR remotes, for example, need line of sight to function.)
Others on ASR may know of an app-based solution to your problem; off the top of my head I can't think of a DAC that has a mobile/desktop app that allows you to control volume, filters, inputs, etc. And if there are some that do you might be limiting yourself to a very small set of DACs that don't measure well and/or don't have the features you want.

Not saying this is the solution you're looking for but how do you feel about wiring between the basement and the 1st floor in order to have your DAC on the 1st floor? I can't imagine those would be incredibly long runs.

Reactions: SWH
OP
S

SWH

Thanks Rick for your thoughts. I have thought about wiring to the 1st floor, but was unsure what would be required. I am guessing that I would have to run a wired internet connection to my basement from the 1st floor to plug into my hub. Then locate my Roon Nucleus on the 1st floor and connect it to by USB 3 connection to my DAC/Preamp. And then connect my DAC/Preamp with Balanced Connectors XLR to my amps wherein lies my problem. Can't easily move my Amps to the 1st floor and I don't think I can get the XLRs through the conduit to the basement.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I don't think I can get the XLRs through the conduit to the basement.
Got it, I see the problem. On the plus side XLR cables are great for doing long runs, but if there's not a good way to run them through to the basement that's a big issue. The only alternative there -- assuming you have the tools and the know-how -- is to build your own XLR cables. Buy the cable and connectors yourself, then run the cable to where it needs to go, and then install the connectors on either end.

TimW

Major Contributor
Guys... isn't this the perfect application for a streamer? Do you have wifi in your home?

I connect my miniDSP SHD to the network wirelessly and stream to it from my Roon server. That is very common and many Rooners recommend it over direct connection to the server. There are a ton of brands selling Roon compatible streamers and you could definitely find one with a remote and filters to play with if that's what you want. Around here most people aren't interested in luxurious items and they recommend DIY rpi based streamers, but if you wanted to stick with Bryston you could get the BDA-3.14.

The Roon Whirlwind just came out. I'm not sure if it would meet your needs, especially since you already own a Roon Nucleus, but if I understand it correctly (and I may not), it appears to be a Roon Nucleus with a built in DAC (at least I think that's the case given it has analog out), and then you could just use Roon for volume control?

Again, I'm still unclear on the Whirlwind, so I'll let others weigh in on this idea, but thought it was interesting.

Top Bottom