• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC suggestions with minimal connections?

C0mbat

Hi all,

Any thoughts and suggestions on next step up from the DAC in the WiiM Pro Plus? I don't need a plethora of connections. Just a digital in (from the WiiM) and then RCA outputs will be fine. I'll also be using the PEQ from the WiiM so it can be light on features.

One potential feature that I may need is a preamp as I'm thinking about getting two of the Fosi Audio V3 Mono amps due for release this month. But that's not a given.

OP
C

C0mbat

What would you expect from a "next step up"? The DAC in the WiiM Pro Plus is already excellent by all accounts.
Good point. My other question should have been whether I really need to buy anything more expensive.

Right now I'm feeding the analogue signal from the WiiM Pro Plus to a Kef KC62 Subwoofer and then using the high pass filter to feed two Aiyima A07 Max amps that then feed the Kef LS50 Metas. I'm thinking that I might try the new Fosi Audio V3 mono amps when they come out. I was just wondering if I need to also upgrade the DAC but maybe not. Even the new amps might be a very marginal upgrade?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Good point. My other question should have been whether I really need to buy anything more expensive.

Right now I'm feeding the analogue signal from the WiiM Pro Plus to a Kef KC62 Subwoofer and then using the high pass filter to feed two Aiyima A07 Max amps that then feed the Kef LS50 Metas. I'm thinking that I might try the new Fosi Audio V3 mono amps when they come out. I was just wondering if I need to also upgrade the DAC but maybe not. Even the new amps might be a very marginal upgrade?
It doesn't get any better than the WiiM Pro Plus' DAC as far as perceivable audio fidelity is concerned.

If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend you buy a UMIK-1 to measure your system's in-room response and apply room correction via the WiiM's Parametric EQ.

That's one of the best ways to clearly improve sound quality.

OP
C

C0mbat

It doesn't get any better than the WiiM Pro Plus' DAC as far as perceivable audio fidelity is concerned.

If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend you buy a UMIK-1 to measure your system's in-room response and apply room correction via the WiiM's Parametric EQ.

That's one of the best ways to clearly improve sound quality.
Thanks. I'm part way through this process. I'm pretty sure you started to help me back in Jan. I've used it to get the right crossover between the sub and speakers and to help with placement. The last step is the use of the PEQ slots. I need to find the time with family life.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all,

Any thoughts and suggestions on next step up from the DAC in the WiiM Pro Plus? I don't need a plethora of connections. Just a digital in (from the WiiM) and then RCA outputs will be fine. I'll also be using the PEQ from the WiiM so it can be light on features.

One potential feature that I may need is a preamp as I'm thinking about getting two of the Fosi Audio V3 Mono amps due for release this month. But that's not a given.

The reasons to add an external DAC to the Wiim Pro Plus is if you want or need extra features or more/different inputs.

Top Bottom