• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A dac to use with wiim mini. What to choose? pricerange up to around 200 usd

Dopus

My audio system as of know, consist of the following components:

Xindac XA6950(09) amp
Vienna Acoustics Hyden SE speakers
SVS SB1000 sub
Henry audio dac 128 mk2 USB DAC (no optical or coax) (Asahi Kasei AKM4430 DAC)
Raspberry Pi4 8GB with distor supporting Tidal.

I wish to have have tidal connect and looked at the Wiim product line. My problem is that my current DAC is USB only and the Wiim products are OPTICAL ore Coax out, not USB
A wiim pro plus is around 270 usd in my country.
The alternative is a a wiim mini ( aroud 80usd in my country) and a new dac (up to around 190-200USD) that will be the same total price as a wiim pro plus.

What DACS is recomended in this price range (need optical in) ?

My amp has balanced input, but I have never used that input so I am a little unshure if it bypasses the preamp with the volume control, meaning if to use balanced out from dac, the dac also might need a volume control.

Any suggestions for a DAC that is on par or better then my old one? I dont mind ordering from ebay/aliexpress/amazon etc.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What DACS is recomended in this price range (need optical in) ?
Take a look at the SMSL D-6 or D-6s.
It has both single-ended and Differential output, so you could connect the SVS via RCA and the Amp via XLR.
I'm fairly certain that you can still use the Xindak's Preamp, even with XLR input.

Edit:
If you split the sub and mains at the DAC, then both will receive a full-range signal.
It might be worth using the SVS' Line out to the Xindak, since that will high-pass the mains.
In that case, you would only need a DAC with RCA output, so could save some money there.
Some options are: E30 II, E30 II Lite, Atom DAC 2, Schiit Modi+, SMSL SU-1, SMSL C100.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dopus

Both the the speakers and the sub get a speaker level signal out from the amp. Doing it your way might be an option. I have to check the SVS SB1000 manual.
I have set the volume and the low pass filter using testtone and a db meter to not get any spikes where the speakers roll off and the sub takes over.

From the SVS sb1000 manual:

Line Level Outputs
These outputs are used in 2-channel applications to high pass the signal being
sent to the loudspeaker amplifier. The line level outputs feature a fixed 80 Hz
12 dB/octave high pass filter.

If i read this right, if I connect my dac to the linelevel input and the linelevel output to my amp, I will be stuck with 80HZ "cutoff" . My manual settings are 60-65 i think. Could be worth a try :)

I have managed with only RCA plugs from my dac, so I will consither options that does noe feature XLR out.
smsl d6s is twice the the price of the SU-1. Is it worth it regarding soundquality?

The DAC I have was around 200 USD and was a lot of sound quality for the money in around 2015. Can a su-1 have the same or even better sound for under half of the price??.

I am only going to to use the DAC in my amp+speakers system, so I dont need bluetooth or headphone amp

staticV3

Master Contributor
If i read this right, if I connect my dac to the linelevel input and the linelevel output to my amp, I will be stuck with 80HZ "cutoff" . My manual settings are 60-65 i think. Could be worth a try :)
Your manual settings of 60-65Hz are just the sub's LPF. Currently, I think you're using the towers without HPF at all.

When you use the sub's Line in+out, you can still choose the LPF frequency manually, just like before, but you gain the ability to HPF your towers for cleaner playback.

smsl d6s is twice the the price of the SU-1. Is it worth it regarding soundquality?

The DAC I have was around 200 USD and was a lot of sound quality for the money in around 2015. Can a su-1 have the same or even better sound for under half of the price??.
Most modern DACs are fully, 100% transparent, which means they don't have inherent sound qualities. They just output whatever you input.
This is also true for the DACs I have listed above. You don't get better sound quality by spending more. You just get more features.

OP
D

Dopus

Your manual settings of 60-65Hz are just the sub's LPF. Currently, I think you're using the towers without HPF at all.

When you use the sub's Line in+out, you can still choose the LPF frequency manually, just like before, but you gain the ability to HPF your towers for cleaner playback.

Most modern DACs are fully, 100% transparent, which means they don't have inherent sound qualities. They just output whatever you input.
This is also true for the DACs I have listed above. You don't get better sound quality by spending more. You just get more features.
"Currently, I think you're using the towers without HPF at all."

You are correct. The speakers start to roll off around this frequency. I have set the LPF frequency on the sub so that there is a little of a "bump" as possible in volume where they overlap. It is not perfect. I might try the config where i go from dac to sub to amp, even if i think 80Hz is a bit high.

"When you use the sub's Line in+out, you can still choose the LPF frequency manually, just like before, but you gain the ability to HPF your towers for cleaner playback."

I dont think you can...only for volume, and phase

From the SVS sb1000 manual:

Line Level Outputs
These outputs are used in 2-channel applications to high pass the signal being
sent to the loudspeaker amplifier. The line level outputs feature a fixed 80 Hz
12 dB/octave high pass filter.

I will check the d-6 and the d-6s and the SMSL SU-1, SMSL C100.

I have a topping dx3pro for my headsets. so I have good experience with topping. I will check E30 II, E30 II Lite that you recommended

staticV3

Master Contributor
"When you use the sub's Line in+out, you can still choose the LPF frequency manually, just like before, but you gain the ability to HPF your towers for cleaner playback."

I dont think you can...only for volume, and phase
You can choose the LPF frequency, phase, and volume manually.

You cannot choose the HPF frequency, phase, or volume.

OP
D

Dopus

hmm. You are correct:

from manual:

With this connection method, you do have the option of using the subwoofer to high pass
the signal being sent to the loudspeaker amplifier. The line level outputs feature a fixed 80
Hz 12 dB/octave high pass filter. In order to high pass the loudspeakers, connect the pre/pro
outputs to the subwoofer line level inputs. Then connect the subwoofer line level output to
the loudspeaker amplifier inputs. Adjust the low pass filter on the subwoofer to 80 Hz and
then do final low pass blending by ear.

If i set the low pass filter to far away from 80hz there will be a "gap"

But since the HPF is set frequency, it should be easier to adjust the sub lpf, as there will be less overlap .

I do have a UMIK-1 microphone and i can download REW and do a meassuring. Sounds like a weekend project :)

OP
D

Dopus

I found out that one of my local electronics store have the Wiim line of prodcuts. the mini at my local shops warehouse and the pro+ at their central warehouse. I have some bonus points at this shop that I can exchange for around 40usd rebate/discount. a Wiim pro + will then be cheeper then a combo of a wiim mini and topping e30v2. Same goes for wiim mini and D-6S. Will the pro+ built inn DAC solution be on the same level as the wiim mini with the external DACS i listed??

OP
D

Dopus

jeenam

I recently had to put together a (relatively) inexpensive system to use at a temporary location. My primary system is in a storage unit and I do not know when I'll have a permanent residence again so I decided to purchase another setup for use until my living situation is sorted.

Speakers = Paradigm Active 40v2 ($1250)
Source = WiiM Mini ($60)
DAC = Chord Mojo ($200)

Total cost was around $1500. As to why I chose the Chord Mojo, this is a copy of the text I wrote in the head-fi forum thread for the Mojo:

New Mojo owner here. I'd been looking to put together a low budget system while I'm on the road since my main system is in a storage unit at the moment. After doing a ton of research on DACs <$200 used from SMSL, Topping, Schiit, Cambridge Audio and a few other vendors I ended up coming back to Chord. I rarely listen on headphones and am mostly a 2-ch listener so the Mojo will be in a far-field setup. I'd previously using been using NAD M51 and RME ADI-2 FS DACs and have to say the Mojo sounds fantastic for $200 used. I haven't had a chance to hook it up to regular speakers yet, and have only had the chance to listen to it using lowly Sony MH1C IEM's at this point.

The most important thing I was looking for a in a DAC was musicality and the ability to listen for long periods without fatigue. The Mojo definitely fits the bill. It's more detailed than the M51, but does not come across as stridently bright at all. I'm pretty certain the low end Topping and SMSL DACs would sound cold, sterile and lifeless compared to the Mojo which is why I avoided them.

For $200 for a used Mojo compared to $800 for a used RME ADI-2 FS, the Mojo is a phenomenal value.

The fact you're running Vienna Acoustics speakers tells me you do NOT want dry, bright, cheap chi-fi DAC's. So pretty much cross Topping, SMSL, and all the other chinese brands out the window. For around $200 these are the options I considered:

Geshelli - J2
Chord - Mojo 1
Cambridge Audio - DACMagic 100
Schiit - Modi Multibit

I have a RME ADI-2 FS for my main system, and prior to that had a NAD M51. The Paradigm Active's have yet to arrive so all I've been able to listen on so far are Sony MH1C IEM's. The Mojo is definitely better than the M51, and considering the RME cost $900, the Mojo is a phenomenal value at $200. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mojo even outperforms the RME once I can get around to comparing the two components. The best compliment I can give for the Mojo is that I can listen to it for hours without fatigue. It's one of those DACs that just lets you listen to music. I plan to use the digital volume control of the WiiM Mini so no preamp needed. I could care less about the minimal loss in sound quality the WiiM Mini's volume control may impart on the sound. This is a budget system, so c'est la vie.

I judge equipment with my EARS, plain and simple. I could care less about numbers.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
There are a dozen or more amazing DACs in that price range. The Topping E50 is one. Just look at the latest reviews and look for a DAC that fits your budget and has the features you require.

threni

Major Contributor
I recently had to put together a (relatively) inexpensive system to use at a temporary location. My primary system is in a storage unit and I do not know when I'll have a permanent residence again so I decided to purchase another setup for use until my living situation is sorted.

Source = WiiM Mini ($60)
DAC = Chord Mojo ($200)

Total cost was around $1500. As to why I chose the Chord Mojo, this is a copy of the text I wrote in the head-fi forum thread for the Mojo:

New Mojo owner here. I'd been looking to put together a low budget system while I'm on the road since my main system is in a storage unit at the moment. After doing a ton of research on DACs <$200 used from SMSL, Topping, Schiit, Cambridge Audio and a few other vendors I ended up coming back to Chord. I rarely listen on headphones and am mostly a 2-ch listener so the Mojo will be in a far-field setup. I'd previously using been using NAD M51 and RME ADI-2 FS DACs and have to say the Mojo sounds fantastic for $200 used. I haven't had a chance to hook it up to regular speakers yet, and have only had the chance to listen to it using lowly Sony MH1C IEM's at this point.

The most important thing I was looking for a in a DAC was musicality and the ability to listen for long periods without fatigue. The Mojo definitely fits the bill. It's more detailed than the M51, but does not come across as stridently bright at all. I'm pretty certain the low end Topping and SMSL DACs would sound cold, sterile and lifeless compared to the Mojo which is why I avoided them.

For $200 for a used Mojo compared to $800 for a used RME ADI-2 FS, the Mojo is a phenomenal value.

The fact you're running Vienna Acoustics speakers tells me you do NOT want dry, bright, cheap chi-fi DAC's. So pretty much cross Topping, SMSL, and all the other chinese brands out the window. For around $200 these are the options I considered:

Geshelli - J2
Chord - Mojo 1
Schiit - Modi Multibit

I have a RME ADI-2 FS for my main system, and prior to that had a NAD M51. The Paradigm Active's have yet to arrive so all I've been able to listen on so far are Sony MH1C IEM's. The Mojo is definitely better than the M51, and considering the RME cost $900, the Mojo is a phenomenal value at $200. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mojo even outperforms the RME once I can get around to comparing the two components. The best compliment I can give for the Mojo is that I can listen to it for hours without fatigue. It's one of those DACs that just lets you listen to music. I plan to use the digital volume control of the WiiM Mini so no preamp needed. I could care less about the minimal loss in sound quality the WiiM Mini's volume control may impart on the sound. This is a budget system, so c'est la vie.

I judge equipment with my EARS, plain and simple. I could care less about numbers.
I can see why you posted that at head fi. Not quite so sure why you posted it here, though.

OldTimer

Wiim Mini can only be AirPlay receiver. It can’t be AirPlay transmitter, whereas Wiim Pro/Plus can. You’ll miss the feature along with very low processor/ram but both the Pro and Plus same processor/ram only different DAC. Better get the Pro, not the Plus or Amp.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I'm pretty certain the low end Topping and SMSL DACs would sound cold, sterile and lifeless compared to the Mojo which is why I avoided them.

I'm pretty certain the low end Topping and SMSL DACs would sound cold, sterile and lifeless compared to the Mojo which is why I avoided them.

What!!??

formdissolve

Forum Donor

What!!??
Money sounds good!

Overseas

Major Contributor
I find myself on the subjective side sometimes, but to just issue blanket judgements is very nasty.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I find myself on the subjective side sometimes, but to just issue blanket judgements is very nasty.
Fair enough, but to judge a DAC by saying it is "Cold" and "Lifeless" means nothing to a lot of people. I listen to a lot of digital music through a cheap "lifeless" DAC and it sounds amazing. That said, I also have custom R2R DAC that I listen to digital stuff through and I often prefer that sound over the Delta Sigma DACs. Like I said before: Buy something in your price range and see what you like. The Denafrips Ares II measured really well here and from what people have said here it sounds amazing.

OP
D

Dopus

Source = WiiM Mini ($60)
DAC = Chord Mojo ($200)

Geshelli - J2
Chord - Mojo 1
Schiit - Modi Multibit

You are right about my speaker choice. I used to have B&W speakers when i was in my youth. But I think they where to bright.
The Vienna acoustics speakers I have, I chooesed because of the way the the mids and the treble sounds.
The xindac amp is also sound a bit on the "warm" side. its a ChiFi amp. But amazing value (only paid around 3oo usd for back in 2012)
My old DAC is also based on AKM DAC chip (AKM4430) So mabye a bit of the same "sound". Time will show. I can always upgrade the dac later :)
My current system is not an expensive one.
amp 300usd
speakers 1200usd
Sub 600usd
DAC 200usd
Rpi4 60 usd

I find it very good sound for the price i paid.

I have ordered the wiim pro plus and I am probably gone get it delivered at the start of next week, and the shop do offer money back if i return it within 14 days. If i dont like the sound of the PRO + , i will return it and go for a mini and a standalone DAC.

Silvestrus

I have tried Topping E30 with WiiM mini and my Rotel A11 Tribute with MA Silver 100. The sound was too harsh and fatiguing. I prefer internal DAC in WiiM mini until I find something better for external DAC.

Top Bottom