• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for Airplay 2 device with analog input

Satx

First of all, I hope this is the right place to post this. I couldn’t decide if it should be in the adc or streamer section.

Anyways, I’d like to get recommendations for a streamer/Airplay device that accepts an analog input and has source selection on the unit. Under about $500 new or used. With a good quality adc. Most don’t have analog in and the few that do force input changes in the app. The only device that I found that can do it is the B&W Formation Wireless Audio Streamer, but it’s $800 and seems to have minimal functionality for the money.

The WIIM Pro comes close as it has auto source sensing, but from what I’ve read, it’s not sensitive enough to activate from a phono preamp (my use case).

My system is currently a turntable and phono pre, Bluesound Node 2i, RME ADI 2 dac and mono NC500MP amps. I use Apple Music exclusively for streaming, so I don’t really need a streamer so much as AirPlay, but both is fine too. The Bluesound has an analog input, but auto source sensing is only for digital in. Otherwise I have to dig through the app which I don’t use at all normally. I currently use a SwissSonic adc to digitize the phono into the dac. This works well enough, but I can’t escape the nagging feeling that the quality is less than ideal. I have a solid mid-fi system with about 2k in my analog gear and it’s run through a cheap little adc box. Someone measured the unit I have: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...c-converter-ad-24-192-adc-measurements.24187/ Perhaps someone with more knowledge of measurements than myself can tell me if I’m worrying about nothing or if this could be improved upon somehow?

And before it’s suggested, I’ve considered the RME ADI 2 Pro but it’s pretty expensive. Another option is of course a preamp, but I like the RME in that role for all it’s functionality. Thanks

OP
S

Satx

Another option that I forgot about is to use the Minidsp Flex digital between the sources and the dac and keep the Node 2i for airplay. Unfortunately I haven’t really seen measurements of the adc except what was shown in the balanced Flex review. That is only partially relevant because I’d be using digital out so no Flex dac. Would this likely improve upon the Swissonic’s performance? Not counting all the added functionality of course.

Top Bottom