• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Different" music for bored music lovers

Robin L

Master Contributor

Offler

Author and Punisher - Disparate

Orbital - Sad but True

Anaal Nathrakh - Man at C&A (The Specials Cover)

Nitzer Ebb - Promises

Robin L

Master Contributor
:eek:
The thread's subject is "music" @Robin L , can't put you any like here ! :p
I think he's the 20th century's greatest composer.
Think of how foley and music scores now thread together in films and TV, or of the uses of assembled sounds in dramatic settings, be it the theater, an opera, a music track by a "rock" group and so on. Xenakis, among other things, was the master of Musique Concrete, that jolly musical genre embraced by Stockhausen and John Lennon, among others.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think he's the 20th century's greatest composer.
Think of how foley and music scores now thread together in films and TV, or of the uses of assembled sounds in dramatic settings, be it the theater, an opera, a music track by a "rock" group and so on. Xenakis, among other things, was the master of Musique Concrete, that jolly musical genre embraced by Stockhausen and John Lennon, among others.

I may sound old fashioned, but I prefer the other Greek, like Ευάγγελος Οδυσσέας Παπαθανασίου ( Papathanassíou )

Blaspheme

This is certainly also "different", perfect for testing noise in equipment: John Cage's 4'33"
4'33" entirely meets the criteria for "stuff that really tries (or more probably tried) to push the boundaries; basically, the modern Stravinsky" and "really artists going their own way that can make you say "I'm sure there's nothing quite like this"." There wasn't. Well played.

Perhaps the OP was frustrated by divergence from expected/desired 'different' but I think this thread will take me a while to work through as I want to listen to most of it.

Nice thread! I don't usually enjoy/listen to metal, but the albums in the 1st post actually do it for me!

Ok, my turn for some "different" music.

Tod Dockstader ‎– "Luna Park; Traveling Music; Apocalypse" (1966)

Cosey Fanni Tutti - "Time to Tell" (1983)

Les Joyaux de la Princesse - "Aux Petits Enfants de France" (1989)

... I hope you enjoy the trip.
Cosey Fanni Tutti was magnificent—and an old favourite—I expect I'll enjoy the rest.

... And Autechre Confield. One of the most difficult albums I own

All of Autechre is good. Of course they went from 'different' to 'masters of a core genre' for me over time. I'll offer some suggested digressions. As Cage delineated the outer boundary of different with his (not quite) silent piece, this is merely filling in the gaps.

LEYA do some romantic neo-classisicm by themselves (enjoyment may depend on your personality type):

... and get more divergent in collaboration. Eartheater adds a raw edge to the vocalisation:

... for contrast, a less divergent selection with the same players (but different haircuts):

... saving the best for last perhaps, Liturgy adds some black metal (may also appeal more to the OP) which I rather like:

Bandcamp links: Liturgy and LEYA

Last edited:

Blaspheme

For some more experimental hip-hop, clipping. are (more mainstream than the above but still) interesting (bandname punctuation intentional):

The YT album playthrough interrupts with ads for me, so try your usual streaming platform, or the Bandcamp link: clipping.

Robin L

Master Contributor
This is certainly also "different", perfect for testing noise in equipment: John Cage's 4'33"
I've got a recording of Frank Zappa's. It's on a 2 CD tribute on Koch, lots of Laurie Anderson stories of Merce Cunningham. Cage's early prepared piano music is a semi-successful Western attempt at Javanese Gamalan at times. It is also surprisingly pretty now and then:

Speaking of very weird 20th century piano, here's a Colon Nancarrow piano roll:

Bang on a Can grooves on some Nancarrow boogie-woogie:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Psy sings and performs "Gangnam Style". 3.9 billion views don't lie.
The genius of Gangnam Style is the video. This video is a particular favorite, the music's anodyne but the video's on acid:

More cute strangeness from Kyary Pamyu Pamyu:

Last edited:

Blaspheme

... Cage's early prepared piano music is a semi-successful Western attempt at Javanese Gamalan at times. It is also surprisingly pretty now and then:

Speaking of very weird 20th century piano, here's a Colon Nancarrow piano roll:

Bang on a Can grooves on some Nancarrow boogie-woogie:

The analog experimental days are amazing. So, to meet the criteria of "basically, the modern Stravinsky" we can't only consider Cage's avant-garde compositions without also recalling Stockhausen. Hard to find continuous contemporary film, the first is just a still image unfortunately, then some with documentary intros, then recent performances by others:

... intro shows graphical scoring (the film is a gem) for the analog dark ambient stylings:

... fairly famous composition—somewhat dark thematically:

... constructivist, perhaps:

... great to see this performed, non-music intro goes on a bit, starts about three minutes in:

Last edited:

Urgelle

Don't known if it's different enough and they're not obscure if you're into this kind of music but Von Magnet is pretty good :

and a song from Pierre Henry who (i think) i mainly known for his collaboration with Béjart, i think it fits with the "I'm sure there's nothing quite like this", at least when he started making this kind of music :

Top Bottom