• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Different" music for bored music lovers

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Thread that does what it says on the tin. Too much normal and accessible music for a place dedicated to music, so let's post about stuff that really tries (or more probably tried) to push the boundaries; basically, the modern Stravinskys.
By the way, I don't mean self-indulgent garbage like free jazz, but really artists going their own way that can make you say "I'm sure there's nothing quite like this".

I'll start with some classics:
Swans - (1984-85) Cop / Young God
index.php

index.php

Legendary double EP that crystallized brutality in a way that went beyond traditional genres. Justin Broadrick (Godflesh) was inspired by it when making the almost as important Streetcleaner:
"The first Swans record I owned was [the Young God] EP, and it absolutely blew me away... it was a sound that I always wanted to hear, just the bleakest and blackest. The minimalist approach of the music, that was what really influenced me. It was non-genre-specific, with a total lack of baggage... purely abstract, surreal, and violent. It communicated to me in a very special way, and taught me that heavy metal could be stripped of everything and reduced to its most primal form."

And honestly, who doesn't love an EP that says "designed to be played at maximum volume" on the cover?

Beherit - (1993) Drawing Down the Moon
index.php

Descended from black metal, but forgoing many conventions of the genre to maximize the ambiance. Like a lot of BM bands of such type, they later switched to Dark Ambient and similar electronic genres.

Comus - (1971) First Utterance
index.php

Really hope everybody heard it already, but for the late people, this is an unequalled album of progressive/psychedelic dark folk. Sad that this first utterance was also their last.

Scraping Foetus off the Wheel - (1985) Nail
index.php

Most polished project amongst the multitude made by crazy Australian JG Thirlwell, this mixes incredibly disparate genres with a healthy dose of catchiness and genius.

Demilich - (1993) Nespithe & Gorguts - (1998) Obscura
index.php

index.php

Firmly grounded in death metal, both of these made even more experimental forms of it than Atheist, Cynic and Pestilence who brought in some fusion jazz. Expect strange rhythms, otherworldly voices and dissonance a-go-go.

Good enough for now, I guess. As you can see, my showcase is mainly made of metal, but I can't really help it: it's a big part of my discography, and extreme metal is one of the genres that really went to other places; industrial and electronic based music being another I know of.

Attachments

• cop.png
    cop.png
    297.1 KB · Views: 2,200
  • young god.png
    young god.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,212
  • drawing down the moon_s.jpg
    drawing down the moon_s.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 2,176
  • first utterance_s.jpg
    first utterance_s.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 2,161
  • nail.png
    nail.png
    340 KB · Views: 2,195
  • nespithe_s.jpg
    nespithe_s.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 2,172
  • obscura_s.jpg
    obscura_s.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 2,202
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Contrast:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Define different...

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Well, I tried my best in the OP. First one is simply quite simplistic as far as composition (melody, harmony and rhythm) goes and certainly doesn't break any grounds.

Second isn't music, it's YouTube attention whoring. There can't be anything "different" about it as there's no composition; can't even call it interpretation, as it's exactly the same thing played with a different instrument.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting idea for a thread, I think the past tense use of tried as you use in the OP makes more sense to me, if it's worth recommending it's likely no longer seen the same challenging way now, e.g. Joy Division were pushing in their own way, but are almost normal now.

The swans live were more like a physical assault than a concert.

This was never musically that radical, but the sheer malevolent intent Albini gets from his skinny guitar noise against the crude drum programming achieves it's goal.
big-black-songs-about-fucking.jpg

(I only ever play the A side of this, it gets the job done nicely)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Disintegration Loops by William Basinski.
0015509885_10.jpg

The recordings consist of tape loops that gradually deteriorated each time they passed the tape head, the unexpected result of Basinski's attempt to transfer his earlier recordings to digital format.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disintegration_Loops

This has a mediative effect on me, but is it music?

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The Disintegration Loops by William Basinski.
0015509885_10.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disintegration_Loops

This has a mediative effect on me, but is it music?
Personally, it goes into my "music for intellectuals but not intelligent people" bag; maybe interesting, but actually selling it is beyond pretentious. Can be quite hard to make the difference between the Emperor's new music and the real deal when going to the bottom.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Sometimes, for me, "different" includes transcription of a known piece for an unexpected instrument (maybe not unlike the transcription of the Philip Glass above from piano to harp)

"Different", I suppose, includes vocals from folks that gargle battery acid, but there is just something about those genres which doesn't "do it" for me.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Sometimes, for me, "different" includes transcription of a known piece for an unexpected instrument (maybe not unlike the transcription of the Philip Glass above from piano to harp)

"Different", I suppose, includes vocals from folks that gargle battery acid, but there is just something about those genres which doesn't "do it" for me.
That I can understand (and Demilich isn't far from that description), but still, I'm talking about something that initially should shock your musical sensibility, but you keep coming back to it because, subconsciously, it fills a void you didn't know you had or just satisfies some kind of morbid curiosity. And then, you may "get it".

It took me a few forceful listens of Obscura before it clicked and I stopped acting like this:
index.php

Attachments

• sickened but curious.jpg
    sickened but curious.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,441

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This seems to either alienate or enthrall people when I play them it. I love the minimal bleeps that open up with the bass line. I have hazy memories of this from clubs when it came out, but never knew what it was at the time.
Easiest way to get it these days is as part of the brilliant Warp 10+2 classics compilation.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Thread that does what it says on the tin. Too much normal and accessible music for a place dedicated to music, so let's post about stuff that really tries (or more probably tried) to push the boundaries; basically, the modern Stravinskys.
By the way, I don't mean self-indulgent garbage like free jazz, but really artists going their own way that can make you say "I'm sure there's nothing quite like this".

Good enough for now, I guess. As you can see, my showcase is mainly made of metal, but I can't really help it: it's a big part of my discography, and extreme metal is one of the genres that really went to other places; industrial and electronic based music being another I know of.

I have a copy still of "Young Gods" from the original release and have a large collection of "industrial" collected around 1980 - 1984. The usual TG, EN, SPK and various David Tibet projects, as well as stuff like Test Dept, Controlled Bleeding, small indie groups, Japanoise, the list goes on. I wouldn't call Big Black, Flipper, DK's, etc. industrial but most employ a somewhat confrontational (to something) style. More recent stuff would include Sunn o))).

I would be disappointed if you dismissed Albert Ayler as self indulgent.

A favorite French music critic speaks.

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And not having grown up Indian, these old show tunes are all new to me:

TimW

Major Contributor
Maybe not different enough for you, but here's a couple of my favorite albums:

1608247234200.png

Starts to get more strange at untitled track 3.

1608247278480.png

This album is an adaptation of Biblical passages from the Book of Revelation.

Top Bottom