• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did Nvidia just kill the game ?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gaming is some apparently huge alternative universe I just don't inhabit. No friggin' idea what this thread is about.

If all the hype turns out to be true...

Imagine Benchmark just announced new AHB3 and AHB4 amps.

The 3 will have identical performance to the 2 but will only cost 1K. The 4 is supposed to have similarly low noise and distortion as the 2 and will be the same price but will put 750W into 4 ohms.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's like this...let's say you purchased a GPU above US$500 (say a higher-end one like $1500) recently, you better sell it ASAP and get as much money from it as you can. In October, buy the $500 GPU, you'll get the same or better performance, and you'll have an extra $1,000 in cash to spend on a new set of speakers! ;)
Yeah I would not do this unless you have a back up GPU, or are willing to wait in line very early in the morning when these are available. The initial production run is supposed to be relatively small because they are using a new manufacturer (Samsung) for the chips, so I think it’s going to be until the end of the year or even next year when they are readily available.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I checked the prices on used cards and from a few days ago to today the prices for a GTX1080Ti cards dropped $100-$150. People are dumping them.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
How's AMD's existing GPU and coming GPU? Is AMD's GPU better or worse at cost to performance ratio?

Here's a breakdown of the current cost/performance:
As indicated by the green arrow, I've added where the RTX 3070 will fit in....basically crushing everything else on the market.
If the claims are true, of course!

new2.png

Vasr

Major Contributor
I would be curious about what the street prices will be for partner card variants.

EVGA is going to be hurt by this unless Nvidia has significantly cut their chip pricing. With no competition from AMD in sight at these levels, they are not going to cut.

There isn't enough margins in a $500 card when you factor in all the careful cooling system you have to redesign for the higher powered cards. The partners will have to phase out anything over the 2060 super as irrelevant and sell those at sub $300 to fill the gap there.

The 3070 will be the toughest for them because all the OC/XC ultimate/blah blah cards the partners bring out will bump against the 3080 base pricing. Nvidia has always made this a problem for their partners with tight pricing between chips. The best margins will be for the 3080 because there is a large gap between it and the next one up so they can bring several tiered prices (unless Nvidia quickly introduces a Ti or Super to fill that gap!).

I expect the partners will try to bring out cards quickly first with the same cooling as the 20 series which will likely be inadequate but will be priced near the bottom of the range (the Founders edition pricing will be the bottom of the range). I would skip these early versions if you intend to buy a 30 series and wait for one that passes the heat and noise tests in reviews reasonably with a cooling redesign.

A decent 3070 with sufficient cooling and not too noisy will likely be in the $600-$650 well into the next year.

These might look like great prices but note that it is only in comparison to the bitcoin induced mania jumps in pricing and cards never came back down as much once that mania died. This is Nvidia's way of maintaining higher average price for a card by giving much more. Just when you think 1TB SSDs are coming down in price, they start pushing out 2TB SSDs at higher margins.

Nvidia is better at this than anybody else.

Timbo2

My expectation is marginal availability and retailer markup. I hope I'm wrong of course.

It also wouldn't be Nvidia if they didn't have some first generation "feature" of marginal importance that only works with the 3000 series cards. However, that will be because it is software locked at the driver and not because the older hardware won't support it.

/GTX1080 Owner who would like to upgrade

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How's AMD's existing GPU and coming GPU? Is AMD's GPU better or worse at cost to performance ratio?
We don't know yet enough about AMD's coming GPUs. Existing GPUs are completely obliterated, regarding performance and price/performance just by a 3070.

Competition is a good thing. I hope they really have something to put on the table for RDNA2...
If all the hype turns out to be true...

Imagine Benchmark just announced new AHB3 and AHB4 amps.

The 3 will have identical performance to the 2 but will only cost 1K. The 4 is supposed to have similarly low noise and distortion as the 2 and will be the same price but will put 750W into 4 ohms.
Definitely. Couldn't have found better analogies...;)

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I understand the call from something new and with more power... But what are the use cases. I mean, what is it for? Do you think your job will be changed with faster rendering or things like that?

Vasr

Major Contributor
I understand the call from something new and with more power... But what are the use cases. I mean, what is it for? Do you think your job will be changed with faster rendering or things like that?

Gaming. You can never have enough performance in the graphics card so you buy as much as you can afford if you are a gamer.

If you aren't into gaming, you will never understand. It is an alien parallel world. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm ~6.7 hours into Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. It's good. 144 FPS min frame rate adaptive and 200 FPS if not synced to the monitor and with mein leben max settings everywhere. It's trippy for sure. :D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is there an audio DAC in it?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm ~6.7 hours into Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. It's good. 144 FPS min frame rate adaptive and 200 FPS if not synced to the monitor and with mein leben max settings everywhere. It's trippy for sure. :D

Screw that. I'm going retro with the original Wolfenstein 3D on a DX2-66 and a 12" CRT in DOS mode under Win95! SB-16 sound. Yeah!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Screw that. I'm going retro with the original Wolfenstein 3D on a DX2-66 and a 12" CRT in DOS mode under Win95! SB-16 sound. Yeah!
I never played the original Wolfenstein 3D or Return to Castle Wolfenstein but I read how it started a genre and is very good. I started on Doom and Duke Nukem. I still play Duke Nukem 3D from time to time. After I got my own PC I went on to Quake 3D, Unreal Tournament Game of the Year Edition and the Half Life series. I'm up to 77 games on Steam, Epic Games and Origin and all but 2-3 are first person shooters. Apparently that's not many. I read more than a couple of times that some peeps have hundreds. :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I never played the original Wolfenstein 3D

I have the original DOS game files if you want to play it. It will run in a true DOS box under WIn95 but it needs DMA to the SB-16 for sound AFAIK. I've never tried to run it on anything other than a machine from a 286 to maybe a DX4-100. Above that, it will just crash and be unplayable.

It runs well on an AMD P166+ I actually keep alive for fun.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the original DOS game files if you want to play it. It will run in a true DOS box under WIn95 but it needs DMA to the SB-16 for sound AFAIK. I've never tried to run it on anything other than a machine from a 286 to maybe a DX4-100. Above that, it will just crash and be unplayable.

It runs well on an AMD P166+ I actually keep alive for fun.
I'm going to pass but thank you very much for the offer. I have several games lined up that I need to start or finish. Many hours of new travels on the pooder lined up. :D

Top Bottom