• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did Nvidia just kill the game ?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Me, looking at new RTX 3000's performance and pricing...
media.gif

2080 Ti owners...
89h3.gif

...Me, looking at the specs and realize the RTX 3080 Founder's Edition is only 5mm too long to fill in my itx SFF case...
4DTJ (2).gif

Last edited:

HerbertWest

Depending on the case internal layout, maybe you can go back to picture #1 with the help of a dremel tool. ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

bribur

Forum Donor
I also have a 970 and a 7 year old cpu, it will barely run some new stuff, especially MS Flight Simulator. But most of the parts are in for a new mid-tower to run one of these cards. It will be interesting to see some test results from the review sites, I watched the nvidia presentation and it was hard to tell how they came up with their claims. Not that it matters, I've got the gotta haves.

Vasr

Major Contributor
The power requirements for the new cards are going to have some ripple effects in your system to upgrade. None of these will likely be suitable for any small form factor cases. The case is going to need some very good ventilation or you risk the card fans screaming like banshees. Hopefully, EVGA won't come out with those ridiculous single fan cards as price-leaders (and to match Founders Edition in price at the bottom) for small form factor cases where the card will stay throttled most of the time.

This is NOT because the previous generation with similar performance were more power-efficient. But the new pricing has placed higher performance within reach of many more people who may not have appropriate cases/cooling/PSUs and may not realize the total cost of an upgrade.

I may be tempted to upgrade my RTX 2060 to higher 20-series if the prices crash or stay put. But I am not a gamer. Just use it for video processing in the HTPC - upscaling, HDR color management, etc.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I also have a 970 and a 7 year old cpu, it will barely run some new stuff, especially MS Flight Simulator. But most of the parts are in for a new mid-tower to run one of these cards. It will be interesting to see some test results from the review sites, I watched the nvidia presentation and it was hard to tell how they came up with their claims. Not that it matters, I've got the gotta haves.

I watched it too, and have to say, that light shaded marble demo was pretty remarkable...

My old GTX 980 is getting a little long in the tooth...i think that new 3080 is going to be just the thing.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Intel is planning on getting in the game soon and AMD was not doing anything special so I guess Nvidia decided to finally get aggressive and put out this stuff. Biggest step up in video card history according to Nvidia. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gaming is some apparently huge alternative universe I just don't inhabit. No friggin' idea what this thread is about.
It's about a new line-up release from Nvidia a video card maker. This new 3000 series is supposed to have the most gains ever in new video card product.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Gaming is some apparently huge alternative universe I just don't inhabit. No friggin' idea what this thread is about.

It's like this...let's say you purchased a GPU above US$500 (say a higher-end one like $1500) recently, you better sell it ASAP and get as much money from it as you can. In October, buy the $500 GPU, you'll get the same or better performance, and you'll have an extra $1,000 in cash to spend on a new set of speakers! ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's like this...let's say you purchased a GPU above US$500 (say a higher-end one like $1500) recently, you better sell it ASAP and get as much money from it as you can. In October, buy the $500 GPU, you'll get the same or better performance, and you'll have an extra $1,000 in cash to spend on a new set of speakers! ;)
The entire used video card market is going to go through some serious pains in the next months. All the peeps that bought into the 2000 series are going to be very annoyed that their cards are in low demand as used. I never bought into the 2000 series. I suspected something major was going to happen. It had to happen with Ray Tracing as the new rage. I'm still 1080P gaming at 144 Hz so I think I'll pick up a used GTX1080Ti to replace my GTX1080 after the market prices drop. That's good enough for what I am doing. :D

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How's AMD's existing GPU and coming GPU? Is AMD's GPU better or worse at cost to performance ratio?

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did N'Vidia just kill the PSU?
650W 750W without any OC?
Ok I got a 1kW PSU at home, but I do not believe that these gpu are of any interest for the commun user.
Let us just dream of a 350W gpu able to play 4k 90hz for $250.
I know, I am dreaming.

Top Bottom