• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did I make a mistake?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These are some great relatively full range tower speakers at $598 for a pair:

The KEF speakers already recommended are better (and more expensive).

Martin
Likewise the 590s when on sale are a pretty good value too. Or even a new pair of 698s, even at list....

chang

They are excellent,I demo'd the KEF R3's,Philharmonic BMR's,CSS Criton 1TDX's and the Sierra LX's and I picked the LX my overall favorite. I felt they had the best dynamics and I don't feel like they have a glaring weakness,they handled all genre's of music very well and were great with movies. Even though they have low sensitivity they didnt need a ton of power in my room . I would have to go back and look on Ascend's forums but I don't think they dip below 5 ohms,so they aren't hard to drive.
How would you compare the LX's to the R3's?

JAJDACT

How would you compare the LX's to the R3's?
Wider dispersion,not as treble forward,digs deeper bass wise. Imaging isn't quite as focused as the R3's,due to the wider dispersion. The R3's sounded bright to me and measured 3-4 db hotter from around 3khz to 16khz in my room. I didn't like them.

chang

Wider dispersion,not as treble forward,digs deeper bass wise. Imaging isn't quite as focused as the R3's,due to the wider dispersion. The R3's sounded bright to me and measured 3-4 db hotter from around 3khz to 16khz in my room. I didn't like them.
Appreciate it. I'll have the R3's soon, but I'm already under the impression I won't enjoy them for the brighter sound. Good to know there's a nice alternative

JAJDACT

Appreciate it. I'll have the R3's soon, but I'm already under the impression I won't enjoy them for the brighter sound. Good to know there's a nice alternative
Try not to let my experience influence you too much,many people love the R3's. I think their issues could have been mitigated with posistioning and or equalization. But I had them in room at the same time as the LX's and Philharmonic BMR's and I generally like wider dispersion speakers. I gave the KEF's a shot just because they were totally different than most other speakers that I had owned in the past.

jae

Major Contributor
I think you made a mistake solely by the virtue of buying a pair of speakers without spinorama measurements. There are speakers in the spin database that have verifiable performance at almost every price point, so it really is just as simple as narrowing them down solely on score and availability based on your budget and some other factors like size/spl requirements etc. and you don't really have to look much further than what has already been measured.

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
If placement close to the wall is necessary, I would recommend going active. My KEF LS50 Wireless II system allows me to adjust the settings based on distance from the wall. No additional amp required. All in one systems like this have their pros and cons, of course, but I would say worth a look. JBL makes a similar system as well.

chang

Try not to let my experience influence you too much,many people love the R3's. I think their issues could have been mitigated with posistioning and or equalization. But I had them in room at the same time as the LX's and Philharmonic BMR's and I generally like wider dispersion speakers. I gave the KEF's a shot just because they were totally different than most other speakers that I had owned in the past.
That'll be tough since I'm trying out the R3's for the same reason haha. Thanks for the feedback

chang

I see that you might be selling the LX's... mind if I ask why after they ended up beating out some stiff competition?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I won't advise against trying out stuff in general, it won't help you much when selecting speakers. This sounds counter-intuitive, but the problem here is that you will be listening to speakers in a room, which isn't your room. But the room determines a lot of what you hear below ~300 Hz and the balance between bass and treble is very important to judge, whether you like a particular pair of speakers or not.

If you're very lucky and find a dealer with a listening room that is similar in size and setup (tables, window positions and sizes, amount of carpet and so on), it might still be useful to go there to compare. In most other cases, it may be better to look at the measurements of the 707 S2, see what you would like to change about them and then look for measurements of other speakers to see if they fit your target.
I agree, I'd say go mostly from the measurements - so buying a good measuring speaker that's been measured here on ASR is the way to go, I think demoing them in a Hifi shop is going to be more confusing than enlightening.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hifi is a bottomless pit. I was in audio nirvana when I owned a pair of Bose 901 VI driven by a Realistic 235b receiver. A neighbor (audiophile)introduced himself and brought me into the hifi fold and I now nearly 40 years, and many thousands of dollars later am no happier than I was back then. Embrace your ignorance, buy a pair of Cerwyn Vega 215's and never come back to an audio forum. This is what I would tell myself if I could all those years ago.
Or just use ASR instead.

JAJDACT

I see that you might be selling the LX's... mind if I ask why after they ended up beating out some stiff competition?
A few reasons,none of which are really the fault of the Sierra's. I might be making a switch to Arendal 1723 monitor speakers. I want something with narrower directivity and I have zero need for a speaker that has bass extension below 70hz. I have always been into home cinema first with music coming in second and I am revamping my listening space to focus more on multi channel/Atmos and I want all matching speakers.

chang

A few reasons,none of which are really the fault of the Sierra's. I might be making a switch to Arendal 1723 monitor speakers. I want something with narrower directivity and I have zero need for a speaker that has bass extension below 70hz. I have always been into home cinema first with music coming in second and I am revamping my listening space to focus more on multi channel/Atmos and I want all matching speakers.
Glad to hear, as I'm considering the LX's. Those 1723's sound amazing from all the reviews... nice choice. If you have the time, would you mind comparing the 1TDX to LX's? I'm currently running M105's and while they're great speakers, there's just something "plain" or missing with them (for my taste)... but I love their tone and wouldn't mind trying to find something with a similar tone that's a little more exciting (for lack of a better term). As of now, I seem to be favoring a warm, full sound with excellent resolution, and it sounds like the 1TDX would fit the bill.... but curious to hear about your experience regarding these two. Thanks

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Glad to hear, as I'm considering the LX's. Those 1723's sound amazing from all the reviews... nice choice. If you have the time, would you mind comparing the 1TDX to LX's? I'm currently running M105's and while they're great speakers, there's just something "plain" or missing with them (for my taste)... but I love their tone and wouldn't mind trying to find something with a similar tone that's a little more exciting (for lack of a better term). As of now, I seem to be favoring a warm, full sound with excellent resolution, and it sounds like the 1TDX would fit the bill.... but curious to hear about your experience regarding these two. Thanks
Are you in the US, if so look into the bmr monitors as well.....same price range as the m105s, but a full range 3 way ....

chang

Are you in the US, if so look into the bmr monitors as well.....same price range as the m105s, but a full range 3 way ....
Funny you mention that... I'm actually hoping that's my end game speaker (at least for a long time). Just waiting for the walnut finish to come out next year. I wish there were more 3-ways on the market in monitor form. In the meantime, I figured I would try out a bunch of speakers until that time. Maybe one might surprise me and become the new "end game" for now.

tw 2022

Funny you mention that... I'm actually hoping that's my end game speaker (at least for a long time). Just waiting for the walnut finish to come out next year. I wish there were more 3-ways on the market in monitor form. In the meantime, I figured I would try out a bunch of speakers until that time. Maybe one might surprise me and become the new "end game" for now.
That's a great idea, and the bmr or even the Sierra lx may be an end game for you...the m105 looks interesting, but I'd bet the lack of low end would be tough to overcome.... I have some emotiva b1s that Dennis Murphy modded, they are very nice, but the lack of low end does reveal itself... they sure are clean sounding....

Last edited:

chang

That's a great idea, and the bmr or even the Sierra lx may be an end game for you...the m105 looks interesting, but I'd bet the lack of low end would be tough to overcome, imo.... I have some emotiva b1s that Dennis Murphy modded, they are very nice, but the lack of low end does reveal itself.... But they sure are clean sounding.... K
Yeah, I really didn't think I would like the 105's as much as I do. The integration between the drivers is so good, it almost makes up for the lack of low end. I was hoping subs would lead to some balance, but I'm just having the damnedest time filling in the perceived gap. I bet those B1's are some fun.

JAJDACT

Yeah sure,from your preferences and what you are describing that would be really tough to pick one. I had fun building my 1TDX's and they really are great speakers. They don't measure as well as the LX or M105 but in room they perform well. The LX's can come across as plain sometimes too,I'm not sure what it is,they are very neutral. The 1TDX's had more presence in the 4khz-8khz going off of measurements at my mlp,but never sounded bright to me. I enjoy both for music. If I had to pick between those two for music only I might pick the 1TDX but mainly for sentimental reasons since I built mine. The LX is objectively the better speaker.

tw 2022

Yeah, I really didn't think I would like the 105's as much as I do. The integration between the drivers is so good, it almost makes up for the lack of low end. I was hoping subs would lead to some balance, but I'm just having the damnedest time filling in the perceived gap. I bet those B1's are some fun.
I would guess the b1s are a less refined , similar type voicing to the m105s, they're certainly nice for the smaller investment.. The sierra's and bmr should sound a lot fuller than the m105s and have similar clarity....enjoy whatever you end up with....

Top Bottom