• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did I make a mistake?

JAJDACT

What was your impression of them?
They are excellent,I demo'd the KEF R3's,Philharmonic BMR's,CSS Criton 1TDX's and the Sierra LX's and I picked the LX my overall favorite. I felt they had the best dynamics and I don't feel like they have a glaring weakness,they handled all genre's of music very well and were great with movies. Even though they have low sensitivity they didnt need a ton of power in my room . I would have to go back and look on Ascend's forums but I don't think they dip below 5 ohms,so they aren't hard to drive.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, thing is, I could get a used pair of Revels M105 for 1 grand, whereas it will be hard to find a used pair of Ascends.Which do you think would be better bang for the buck?
Even though subjective opinions are only that and objective measurements are facts, speakers still live largely in the subjective world.

It is not uncommon for an individual to actually prefer a speaker that measures slightly poorer than another speaker. There is no substitute for in person auditions... and trust your ears. After all, YOU are the one who will be listening.

RMW_NJ

That close to the wall and that close to the listening position, I’d say the aforementioned Neumann and Genelec monitors are good choices. If you’d like passive, something like the Kef LS50, Arendal 1961 bookshelf, or Ascend Acoustics Luna/Duo would work. Arendal and Ascend are internet direct, but have a good demo/return policy.

P.S., as an owner of the Ascend LX I don’t think they’d be great in your setup, but if you go that route I’d pick up the port plugs too. Dave at Ascend is awesome and can help recommend a speaker for your situation.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice, thing is, I could get a used pair of Revels M105 for 1 grand, whereas it will be hard to find a used pair of Ascends.Which do you think would be better bang for the buck?
At equal price, the ascend sierra lx most likely...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd definitely go make an appointment with Ascend since you're relatively close. I've been very happy with my Sierra-1 NrTs, as well as my 170SE and 200SE speakers. David and company are nice to deal with, too.

OP
Springfeel

Springfeel

I'd definitely go make an appointment with Ascend since you're relatively close. I've been very happy with my Sierra-1 NrTs, as well as my 170SE and 200SE speakers. David and company are nice to deal with, too.
I will probably visit next week. Also they do have a nice try-out period for shipped orders, but do you know how much the return shipping would cost?

OP
Springfeel

Springfeel

That close to the wall and that close to the listening position, I’d say the aforementioned Neumann and Genelec monitors are good choices. If you’d like passive, something like the Kef LS50, Arendal 1961 bookshelf, or Ascend Acoustics Luna/Duo would work. Arendal and Ascend are internet direct, but have a good demo/return policy.

P.S., as an owner of the Ascend LX I don’t think they’d be great in your setup, but if you go that route I’d pick up the port plugs too. Dave at Ascend is awesome and can help recommend a speaker for your situation.

Are the ascends something you recommend for bigger rooms or mid-range listening?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will probably visit next week. Also they do have a nice try-out period for shipped orders, but do you know how much the return shipping would cost?
You're so close I'd probably just return 'em in person, if you actually want to return them.....shipping costs vary with buying power with the carriers.....got an account at work?

OP
Springfeel

Springfeel

You're so close I'd probably just return 'em in person, if you actually want to return them.....shipping costs vary with buying power with the carriers.....got an account at work?
Nah was just wondering, they're close enough for me to go do business directly

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I think this will probably be a multi-week effort for me, I really need to listen to a bunch of speakers before I commit
Yep, take your time listen to a few....hopefully in your own room if you can.

RMW_NJ

Are the ascends something you recommend for bigger rooms or mid-range listening?
I think the issue would be how close they are to the wall. The LX can put out a lot of bass, and it may be too much that close to the wall. Ascend does sell these now which would help, but I’d still talk to Dave about it to get his thoughts.

steve59

Major Contributor
Hifi is a bottomless pit. I was in audio nirvana when I owned a pair of Bose 901 VI driven by a Realistic 235b receiver. A neighbor (audiophile)introduced himself and brought me into the hifi fold and I now nearly 40 years, and many thousands of dollars later am no happier than I was back then. Embrace your ignorance, buy a pair of Cerwyn Vega 215's and never come back to an audio forum. This is what I would tell myself if I could all those years ago.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hifi is a bottomless pit. I was in audio nirvana when I owned a pair of Bose 901 VI driven by a Realistic 235b receiver. A neighbor (audiophile)introduced himself and brought me into the hifi fold and I now nearly 40 years, and many thousands of dollars later am no happier than I was back then. Embrace your ignorance, buy a pair of Cerwyn Vega 215's and never come back to an audio forum. This is what I would tell myself if I could all those years ago.
I can't say I would go with Bose 901s or the Cerwin Vegas, but I take your point and agree with it.

Audio nirvana comes to us when we stop listening to the gear and start listening to the music.

OP
Springfeel

Springfeel

I'll pick something in the next few weeks but you'll probably see me again within a year or two, ngl

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are some great relatively full range tower speakers at $598 for a pair:

The KEF speakers already recommended are better (and more expensive).

Martin

Top Bottom