• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon DRA-800H Review (Stereo Receiver)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much for the description, it helps me a lot.

As I explained before, at the same output voltage, a 4 ohm load will draw 2X the current that an 8 ohm load will draw.

AVRs, receivers, and many integrated amps are not designed to handle 2 times the current so in order to say their devices are compatible with 4 ohm loads, they want their customers to use the 4 ohm setting.

No receivers that I am aware of are truly/officially rated for 4 ohm loads on "continuous" basis without stipulating some conditions.

Blaireau

Ebben a tesztben a 4 Ω beállítási teljesítménykorlátozás is le van írva
"A Denon a specifikációban 100 W-ot ígér 8 Ω-on, a csomagoláson pedig 145 W-ról van információ - de az impedancia megadása nélkül. Talán 4 ohmon?...
Valójában a 8 Ω egy csatornával 162 W-ot, kettővel pedig 2 x 141 W-ot szolgáltat. Remek, de 4 Ω bekötése sajnos nemhogy nem növeli a teljesítményt, hanem annak jelentős csökkenéséhez is vezet (feltéve, hogy a gyártó ajánlása szerint az ún. impedanciaválasztóban kiválasztjuk a megfelelő üzemmódot).
Ekkor a DRA-800H-ból csak 57 W-ot (2 x 57 W) préselünk ki, ami hasonló a Denon többcsatornás vevők viselkedéséhez, úgy kalibrálva, hogy 4 Ω-ra csatlakoztatva a hőmérsékleti határértékeket ne lépjék túl, definiálva akár az EU fogyasztóvédelmi szabványai, akár magának az eszköznek a sajátosságai alapján. eszközöket.
Sok esetben azonban 4 ohmos hangszórókat fogunk úgy csatlakoztatni, hogy azok 8 ohmosak (annyit a gyártók mutatnak be). Akkor mi lesz? Általában semmi rossz, csak egy kicsit melegebb..."
Kösz. Nagyon jó, hogy ilyen jó fejek vagytok. A hozzászólásod sokat segít és megnyugtat. Most már tudom, mire számítsak.
As I explained before, at the same output voltage, a 4 ohm load will draw 2X the current that an 8 ohm load will draw.

AVRs, receivers, and many integrated amps are not designed to handle 2 times the current so in order to say their devices are compatible with 4 ohm loads, they want their customers to use the 4 ohm setting.

No receivers that I am aware of are truly/officially rated for 4 ohm loads on "continuous" basis without stipulating some conditions.
In any case, I will use the 8Ω setting based on your suggestions.

Blaireau

If it can put out 2x141W with an 8Ω setup and 8Ω speakers, then maybe it can do even more with 4Ω speakers, which is fine by me. But if it can only deliver 2x141W with the 4Ω speakers, it is also much better than my current 2x100W amplifier.

Last edited:

GiBo61

If it can put out 2x141W with an 8Ω setup and 8Ω speakers, then maybe it can do even more with 4Ω speakers, which is fine by me. But if it can only deliver 2x141W with the 4Ω speakers, it is also much better than my current 2x100W amplifier.
If you read the first post of this thread you will find that the DRA800H delivers 145W at 4Ω. and 108W at 8Ω in Amir's test conditions.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you read the first post of this thread you will find that the DRA800H delivers 145W at 4Ω. and 108W at 8Ω in Amir's test conditions.

Short term such as during the speaker's impedance dips, yes, but if the speaker is 4 ohm nominal then no, in that case, the DRA amp can only do it at lower volume setting.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kösz. Nagyon jó, hogy ilyen jó fejek vagytok. A hozzászólásod sokat segít és megnyugtat. Most már tudom, mire számítsak.

In any case, I will use the 8Ω setting based on your suggestions.

Be clear, I never suggested that at all, was just quoting others.

Personally, I will not use the DRA-800H with 4 ohm nominal speakers, unless the specific application only needs 60 W or so into 4 ohms. That means it will depend on one's listening habits, distance and the speaker's sensitivity.

The amp puts out more in those bench tests mainly because the test duration don't last very long.

Blaireau

Be clear, I never suggested that at all, was just quoting others.

Personally, I will not use the DRA-800H with 4 ohm nominal speakers, unless the specific application only needs 60 W or so into 4 ohms. That means it will depend on one's listening habits, distance and the speaker's sensitivity.

The amp puts out more in those bench tests mainly because the test duration don't last very long.
If you take into account that I will be sending a limited bandwidth low frequency signal to the dra-800h (40Hz-250Hz), then maybe this will also improve the situation. So the dra-800h doesn't have to worry about amplifying the entire bandwidth, since I'll only be sending the sub-low frequency signal to it. I think the "direct mode" will be the most suitable for this task.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you take into account that I will be sending a limited bandwidth low frequency signal to the dra-800h (40Hz-250Hz), then maybe this will also improve the situation. So the dra-800h doesn't have to worry about amplifying the entire bandwidth, since I'll only be sending the sub-low frequency signal to it. I think the "direct mode" will be the most suitable for this task.

That won't matter much because you are using the amp as a subwoofer amp so the amp will be amplifying the whole low frequency range full time. If the contents you play have lots of bass, the amp will have to work hard, limited bandwidth or not. Good subwoofer amps are typically rated hundreds of (even over 1,000 W) watts for good reasons. Even the entry level SVS PB1000 is rated 300 W.

In my opinion, by now, you have the information you need to make your decision. You seem still concerned if the DRA amp has enough power, but the simple fact is, while most people won't use a relatively low output integrated amp with an AVR to drive subwoofers, almost any decent 50 W amp can drive any speaker or subwoofer if you don't listen too loud and don't sit too far.

Try an online calculator to estimate your actual estimated power need if you want to have a better idea:

I don't know the impedance and phase angle characteristics of your subwoofers. If they are 4 ohm nominal, then whatever those calculators results show, double it, and it will be the "watts" you need. That's because those calculators are based on using 8 ohm loads.

Again, it is usually not a good idea to use such an integrated amp (especially one such as the DRA-800H) as a power amp for subwoofers, but you seem so fixated on going this route, so good luck to you. A weird case as it seems, you will be fine as long as your power need based on your specific listening habits and distance is well within the amp's capability, that is about 100 W 8 ohms, less for 4 ohms (except for short term, peaks etc.).

Blaireau

That won't matter much because you are using the amp as a subwoofer amp so the amp will be amplifying the whole low frequency range full time. If the contents you play have lots of bass, the amp will have to work hard, limited bandwidth or not. Good subwoofer amps are typically rated hundreds of (even over 1,000 W) watts for good reasons. Even the entry level SVS PB1000 is rated 300 W.

In my opinion, by now, you have the information you need to make your decision. You seem still concerned if the DRA amp has enough power, but the simple fact is, while most people won't use a relatively low output integrated amp with an AVR to drive subwoofers, almost any decent 50 W amp can drive any speaker or subwoofer if you don't listen too loud and don't sit too far.

Try an online calculator to estimate your actual estimated power need if you want to have a better idea:

I don't know the impedance and phase angle characteristics of your subwoofers. If they are 4 ohm nominal, then whatever those calculators results show, double it, and it will be the "watts" you need. That's because those calculators are based on using 8 ohm loads.

Again, it is usually not a good idea to use such an integrated amp (especially one such as the DRA-800H) as a power amp for subwoofers, but you seem so fixated on going this route, so good luck to you. A weird case as it seems, you will be fine as long as your power need based on your specific listening habits and distance is well within the amp's capability, that is about 100 W 8 ohms, less for 4 ohms (except for short term, peaks etc.).
I understand that it is certainly not the best choice, but if the DRA will know a little more compared to my current 2x100W/4Ω amplifier, then I will be satisfied. Thanks.

Blaireau

Peak SPL calculator

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211_172412_com.hsv.freeadblockerbrowser.jpg
    Screenshot_20230211_172412_com.hsv.freeadblockerbrowser.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 64

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Peak SPL calculator
40 ft, really?

Like I said, if you don't listen too loud, such as the 92 dB peak, then you will be fine.

The TDA7293 appears to be a chip amp, what kind of power supply are you using with the pair? If sized well, it can be quite powerful (based on specs), at least as good as the DRA-800H.

Blaireau

40 ft, really?

Like I said, if you don't listen too loud, such as the 92 dB peak, then you will be fine.

The TDA7293 appears to be a chip amp, what kind of power supply are you using with the pair? If sized well, it can be quite powerful (based on specs), at least as good as the DRA-800H.
Is 40 feet realistic? I've counted more, usually 20-30 feet.
I made the power supply, I don't know how many W, maybe 250, but I know that the output voltage is +/-28V.

Last edited:

Tomzzi

I have one problem with my Denon.
Almost every day when I switch it on it plays for minute or two then switches off.
Sometimes it's only once per day but most of the time receiver does this few times.
I switch it on and it shuts off. Switch on again and it switches off soon after switching on.

I think that there is no flashing red light when it swithches off

Firmware is latest. Also did factory reset.
All standby/Eco functions are off.

It's so annoying and almost hate this receiver because of this.

I have Dali Spektor 2 connected to receiver.
And TV, turntable.

Receiver is set to 6ohms.

Mostly using with Tidal streaming.
Does anyone knows why would my receiver act like this?

Thanks.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does anyone knows why would my receiver act like this?
Yes, it is broken! :D Failures like this are common in electronics. Components heat up and then fail. If you were good with electronics, you could open it up, and use a hair dryer to heat up different sections and see if you can make it fail on demand then. Then apply some freezing spray to do the opposite and see if it starts to work. If so, you could narrow it down to the failing component. But then you need to have skill in replacing the part.

For components like this, sadly they are not worth the time to repair professionally.

Tomzzi

But its "only" year old. I bought it year ago.
Strangely that once its switches off few times (which is very annoying) then it works almost everytime normally for few hours.

Good suggestion for trying to find what is the cause for this.
Maybe i can try this. But i doubt its heat that is problem because this behaviour happens only on first use of the day. So receiver is cold.

I am capable of replacing components. Maybe i can try.

Tomzzi

I need to find bill. Then I will probably send it to repair.

Strange is that after few tries it works ok.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to find bill. Then I will probably send it to repair.

Strange is that after few tries it works ok.

I don't know about the DRA-800H, but for AVRs, in the some cases, multiple factory reset had reportedly fixed such explainable issues.
You can also try entering the protection history/service mode to find out what exactly the unit tripped on:

ZONE 2 SOURCE / SPEAKER / STATUS

Protection History Procedure: Press and hold all listed buttons while powering the unit on / Using the down arrow key scroll to "2.Protection" and press ENTER / Unit will power cycle / When power cycle is complete press the STATUS button for the Protection code (Therm = Heat issue, ASO = Speaker or Impedance issue, DC = Voltage issue) / Power cycle the unit to return to normal operation.

Tomzzi

Thank you. Will try this.

Edit:
Tried and all I get is no protect on screen.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. Will try this.

Edit:
Tried and all I get is no protect on screen.

That means the unit never shutdown by the protection system. Have you tried multiple factory resets in a roll?
jdsmoothie of avsforum has once said something like "....If yet still no joy, try resetting the microprocessor a few more times in a row....."

Top Bottom