• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a budget receiver, possibly with arc - any recommendations?

kaffe

Hello

I'm looking to buy a new receiver for music listening, gaming (ps5) and watching tv.
The music listening experience is surely this most important aspect of the planned use.

My budget is around 750 €/585 £.

The thing must "work" with an LG C3 tv and Dali Blue 6006 Loudspeakers: https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/3259/blue-series-brochure.pdf
I am going for a 2.0 stereo setup.
The tv has an optical audio port as well as HDMI eArc and Arc: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/lg_c3_oled_2023.php

Allegedly some LG C2/C3 tvs have problems with the optical audio port (I don't know if this is a common issue of if it may in fact have been fixed via firmware update or whatever). Whether that is the case or not, I'd prefer to be able to control the receiver via the tv remote, so I'm leaning towards a receiver with HDMI Arc connectivity.
I expect to connect the ps5 (and Apple TV as well) directly to the tv. Not sure if there would be anything to gain by alternatively connecting those via the receiver (given the receiver has the necessary ports). The LG C3 has a 120 hz refresh rate while the receiver will probably have a 60 hz refresh rate considering my price limitations.

I have considered buying the Marantz nr-1200 since at first hand it looked like a decent choice, but now I am kind of discouraged after seeing it mentioned in this review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../denon-dra-800h-review-stereo-receiver.26743/ (see #15).
As I understand it, I am not necessarily better off buying a 2.0 stereo receiver in this case, even if I'm going to use a 2.0 setup.

Can you guys recommend a (network) receiver within this price range based on the above-mentioned?
Naturally, I am hoping to get as much value for the buck as possible.

Any help appreciated.

EDIT:

How about the forthcoming WiiM AMP? https://www.wiimhome.com/index

Best regards
Mark

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Hello

I'm looking to buy a new receiver for music listening, gaming (ps5) and watching tv.
The music listening experience is surely this most important aspect of the planned use.

My budget is around 750 €/585 £.

How about the forthcoming WiiM AMP? https://www.wiimhome.com/index

Best regards
Mark
I like the idea of using a WiiM AMP if it has all the functionality you need. I would choose a vendor that makes it easy to return the WiiM AMP because it will be new to the market.

OP
K

kaffe

I like the idea of using a WiiM AMP if it has all the functionality you need. I would choose a vendor that makes it easy to return the WiiM AMP because it will be new to the market.
Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I read somewhere that you might still be better off pairing a separate power amp with a WiiM Pro, depending on how the WiiM AMP turns out.
Out of curiosity, considering the WiiM AMP will come with a TPA3255 class-D amp chipset, is it possible to say anything about what sort of separate amp you would expect to need in order to compete with the WiiM for better sound?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I read somewhere that you might still be better off pairing a separate power amp with a WiiM Pro, depending on how the WiiM AMP turns out.
Out of curiosity, considering the WiiM AMP will come with a TPA3255 class-D amp chipset, is it possible to say anything about what sort of separate amp you would expect to need in order to compete with the WiiM for better sound?
Perhaps. We'll see how the WiiM AMP measures. I am expecting the WiiM AMP to measure well enough such that I would have a hard time distinguishing it from another choice that measures as having lower SINAD - if I had access to double-blind testing. I would pass on the WiiM AMP if I needed more power or differential (balanced) inputs and outputs.

OP
K

kaffe

Perhaps. We'll see how the WiiM AMP measures. I am expecting the WiiM AMP to measure well enough such that I would have a hard time distinguishing it from another choice that measures as having lower SINAD - if I had access to double-blind testing. I would pass on the WiiM AMP if I needed more power or differential (balanced) inputs and outputs.
Right. Hopefully we'll know soon enough! I'm on a "Black Friday" spree here.

I doubt I will need more power since I'm living in a small apartment. My living room in which the speakers are placed is 16 m2, 4x4. It's a wonder how I'm even able to use them, I suppose. However, since I am a total newbie, I can't be sure if the WiiM AMP will supply a sufficient amount of power. My current receiver, which seems more than sufficient for my uses, at least in terms of power, is an NAD C 326BEE (which I expect to trash since the sound keeps "disappearing"on my right speaker).

What is meant by differential (balanced) inputs and outputs?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Right. Hopefully we'll know soon enough! I'm on a "Black Friday" spree here.

I doubt I will need more power since I'm living in a small apartment. My living room in which the speakers are placed is 16 m2, 4x4. It's a wonder how I'm even able to use them, I suppose. However, since I am a total newbie, I can't be sure if the WiiM AMP will supply a sufficient amount of power. My current receiver, which seems more than sufficient for my uses, at least in terms of power, is an NAD C 326BEE (which I expect to trash since the sound keeps "disappearing"on my right speaker).

What is meant by differential (balanced) inputs and outputs?

I suspect a WiiM AMP will provide as much power as your NAD.

I am the wrong person to talk about differential (balanced) audio gear. It is a way of designing the gear to virtually eliminate hum from an AC power ground loop. It seems to be of varying importance to ASR members. Amir believes strongly in implementing it when the budget allows. He regards it as an 'investment' in the video at the link below.

OP
K

kaffe

I suspect a WiiM AMP will provide as much power as your NAD.

I am the wrong person to talk about differential (balanced) audio gear. It is a way of designing the gear to virtually eliminate hum from an AC power ground loop. It seems to be of varying importance to ASR members. Amir believes strongly in implementing it when the budget allows. He regards it as an 'investment' in the video at the link below.

Thanks for the information and link. Will need to watch a couple of times

OP
K

kaffe

Good evening, folks.

I’m considering alternatives to the WiiM Amp.

Thinking of buying a Fosi Audio V3 and a WiiM Pro (perhaps a Pro Plus?).

Is there anything that would prevent me from using these devices in combination to connect an LG C3 tv to passive speakers using an optical cable?

I would miss out on hdmi arc with this setup, but the price of getting an amplifier with that interface has made me consider how much I really value the benefits arc connectivity provides. WiiM Amp has it, I know, but the fact that several people have experienced what could potentially prove to be grounding issues (or whatever, I’m no expert) makes me a bit sceptical about the product.

Recommendations are much welcome, incl. alternative options.

Thanks!

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Good evening, folks.

I’m considering alternatives to the WiiM Amp.

Thinking of buying a Fosi Audio V3 and a WiiM Pro (perhaps a Pro Plus?).

Is there anything that would prevent me from using these devices in combination to connect an LG C3 tv to passive speakers using an optical cable?

I don't know if the optical output of your LG C3 will give the optical input of a WiiM Pro (Plus) a problem or not - I suspect some ASR members have an LG TV hooked up to a WiiM Pro and may be able to comment.

I believe I read some LG TV owners have found older generation DAC chips to be more tolerant of jitter from the optical output of their TV

The Yamaha A-S301 integrated amplifier has similar power to your NAD. It has not been measured at ASR but seems to have a following among ASR members as a reliable option. A WiiM Mini could be connected to give the Yamaha Wi-Fi connectivity. The Yamaha has a USB power port on the back panel with a modest 2.5 watt output. I believe this may be enough to power a WiiM Mini.

OP
K

kaffe

I believe I read some LG TV owners have found older generation DAC chips to be more tolerant of jitter from the optical output of their TV

The Yamaha A-S301 integrated amplifier has similar power to your NAD. It has not been measured at ASR but seems to have a following among ASR members as a reliable option. A WiiM Mini could be connected to give the Yamaha Wi-Fi connectivity. The Yamaha has a USB power port on the back panel with a modest 2.5 watt output. I believe this may be enough to power a WiiM Mini.
Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated.

While the Yamaha is pretty large and not really to my taste in terms of aesthetics it does look to provide great value. Interesting.

I think I would need to buy the WiiM Pro to have the necessary connectivity, however. With the Pro version I could connect it to the amp via coax, then the tv via spdif.

Curious how bad that jitter is and how well the Yamaha is likely to tackle it.

Top Bottom