• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

enormity32

Forum Donor
Adjustable for each input, yes. Adjusting the "source level" will affect only the current source.
Thank you!!! It wasn't clear and the manual link was broken on the Denon site when I tried to download it. I chickened out and set it back to "0"

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As Audyssey explains it

Dynamic EQ – As the volume is turned up or down, Audyssey Dynamic EQ maintains consistent bass response, tonal balance, and surround impression.

One is not a substitute for the other.
I think it is. You can't achieve a perceptually balanced sound at all volumes with a static curve. Therefore the Audyssey approach is superior. I agree they stumbled on the implementation, specifically the surrounds. I hope they continue to develop the app to allow us to disable that.

Fillius

Forum Donor
Actually streaming it thru the 4700 via wi-fi using Audirvana
If the 4700 is outputting the sound to speakers, then it is using a DAC in the 4700.

The only exception to this would be if you are using an analogue input and it is in Pure Direct mode.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it is. You can't achieve a perceptually balanced sound at all volumes with a static curve. Therefore the Audyssey approach is superior. I agree they stumbled on the implementation, specifically the surrounds. I hope they continue to develop the app to allow us to disable that.

It seems to me the surround level mess up (levels being too high) apply to the new codecs only, for the older Dolby/DTS surrounds it sounded more balance. There has been no XT32 version update for quite a few years, the only thing new is the Editor App, may be that's why, that is the newer surround codecs are just not compatible.. but enough people complain, this may be something they can fix via FW.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the 4700 is outputting the sound to speakers, then it is using a DAC in the 4700.

The only exception to this would be if you are using an analogue input and it is in Pure Direct mode.

I suppose they meant bypass the ADC/DSP/DAC path so that there is no double converting. The ADC path would have limited sampling rate to 96 kHz because of the lower end ADC chip used.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this is not a fair response. No word about the problem @amirm found which lets it look as if his measurements were wrong.:mad:

I wish I have a way to contact those gentlemen via email or something and remind them that they should acknowledge the downmix "bug" and tell us if they are going to fix it. It may be better if we, the customer (being that customers are kings..) ask them to do it. If Amir insist on the same, it may get misunderstood if the receiver end gets a little sensitive. Shouldn't be a problem either way, but again, better we do it, just my opinion though.

miike888

Earlier I said that only the Denon 6700 is here. Actually the 3700 had also arrived. :) It was double boxed so I could not see it by just glancing. So with the Marantz SR6104, I have a full schedule measuring all of these!

Been waiting for the 6014 review for a while now!:)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Been waiting for the 6014 review for a while now!:)

You do know there is a lot of work to measure such an AVR right so we have to be very patient.;) I would guess it takes several times the time required to measure a simple power amp or a slightly more complicated DAC.

miike888

You do know there is a lot of work to measure such an AVR right so we have to be very patient.;) I would guess it takes several times the time required to measure a simple power amp or a slightly more complicated DAC.

Of course!

Also saw the new 2020 series has been listed on the Marantz homepage now.

And i cant stop wondering how they would measure;) but i cant read anything about pre/pro mode that the Denon has.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course!

but i cant read anything about pre/pro mode that the Denon has.

I hear you, but why can't you read anything about Denon's?? For example: Marantz SR7013 - HDAM = Denon AVR-X4500H for analog input, and for digital, Marantz AVRs likely also use the slow roll off DAC filter so for those with good hearing up to 20 kHz may hear a difference, but that does not affect SINAD in the audio band. It is a sure bet that the SR6014 is like a AVR-X3600H, but has a slightly stronger power supply and has HDAM.

We don't know the effect of HDAM on SINAD, and I can't wait to see it either, but I though the Denon's measurements should give you an idea,like getting you in the ball park.

You can also reference to the measurements of the AV7705. The SR6014 may measure better, but again, should be in the same ball park though.
Anyway, I bet Amir will be ready this week to measure the SR6014 because iirc, he did say he would do it before the Denon X3700H.

Baff

Forum Donor
I hear you, but why can't you read anything about Denon's??
I think he means that he hasn't seen anything about pre-amp mode (like the Denons) on the comparable Marantz models.

tparm

Forum Donor
But until there is a fix, can you not just select 5.1 from your source content/media player? All my 7.1 BR discs have a selectable 5.1 track, for example.
Also, I can't figure out why 5.2.4, or 5.1.2 for that matter, would be problematic? Both are the 8 or more channels which has been referenced multiple times in this thread as being the magic number.

Baff

Forum Donor
Also, I can't figure out why 5.2.4, or 5.1.2 for that matter, would be problematic? Both are the 8 or more channels which has been referenced multiple times in this thread as being the magic number.
It would still be downmixing the back channels. I think the real question here should be does this go on with any kind of mixing? What happens when you upmix 2 channel audio to 13 speakers?

tparm

Forum Donor
It would still be downmixing the back channels. I think the real question here should be does this go on with any kind of mixing? What happens when you upmix 2 channel audio to 13 speakers?
Got it, I guess that makes sense. My system will likely forever be 5.2.4 so I'll use @peng suggestion of selecting playback to match channels used when possible. And, I like your question as I plan to play around with Auro for 2CH music. My X4700 and A52+ are almost to my house acccording to UPS tracking....

Baff

Forum Donor
If Amir insist on the same, it may get misunderstood if the receiver end gets a little sensitive. Shouldn't be a problem either way, but again, better we do it, just my opinion though.
Amir will be testing for it in the X3700 and X6700 (and other D&M models), and mentioning it in his upcoming reviews. That is enough from Amir. If it is found to be universal across Denon models (or all D&M, or even other brands), news will quickly spread to other sites.

Fillius

Forum Donor
Amir will be testing for it in the X3700 and X6700 (and other D&M models), and mentioning it in his upcoming reviews. That is enough from Amir. If it is found to be universal across Denon models (or all D&M, or even other brands), news will quickly spread to other sites.
Do we know definitively yet whether the 6 other channels were silent?

And also if bitstreamed audio has this issue? For instance, a Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio 7.1 track downmixed into 5.1.

As far as I can tell, the issue was only present when sending 8 channel PCM from a Windows machine to the Denon to output as 2.0.

I'm also not clear if the Denon was set up as 7.1 but 'Pure Direct' forced the down mapping to 2.0. Or if the Denon only had 2.0 speakers configured.

Top Bottom