• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have started a thread with poll on AH to lobby Denon for a paid (can't expect it to be free) FW upgrade for a flexible preamp mode. I can be wrong but I do believe the hardwire are already wired in place for it because it has the full preamp mode.
Full pre-amp mode is one shared relay for all channels. For you to be able to shut down individual channels you would need a separate relay for each. Relays take space, cost money and use up current while on. So I am pretty sure there is no support beyond what is given to us.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the original (now closed) review thread, I remember that there was quite a bit of animosity expressed towards Denon. It was assumed that a highly defective device had been developed, and there was a call to arms be because Denon did not immediately acknowledge their supposed design flaw.

I hope that the outcome here is that people respect the process of examining unexpected measurement findings, attempting to reconcile differerences, and allowing other parties (particularly the manufacturer) time to respond and help investigate.

What Amir did is, in my opinion, what makes his forum unique and special.

Last edited:

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is still a bug in the Denon channel down-mixing that needs to be fixed.
Amir found a configuration where this bug degrades the audio performance.
It could exist another channel configuration, not yet tested, triggering the same bug.
Let us be very prudent as long as this bug has not been fixed.

Amir made a very good work finding the bug and helping Denon to point to the root cause.
Now it is Denon that needs to find a fix (software update?).

In the original (now closed) review thread, I remember that there was quite a bit of animosity expressed towards Denon. It was assumed that a highly defective device had been developed, and there was a call to arms be because Denon did not immediately acknowledge their supposed design flaw.

I hope that the outcome here is that people respect the process of examining unexpected measurement findings, attempting to reconcile differerences, and allowing other parties (particularly the manufacturer) time to respond and help investigate.

What Amir did is, in my opinion, what makes his forum unique and special.
No. Denon = bad = more memes.
I need something for my pitchfork and torch.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A quick check with ECO mode ON would be nice.
Here you go:

Denon AVR-X4700H 8K Home Theater Receiver AVR Dolby Atmos Surround 8K vs 4K UHD Eco mode power...png

Seems like there is no penalty in auto mode.

:D I like short and sweet reviews! Have you ever used an NAD AVR? It would make you love Denon, haha. Lucky to get a first wave 3700, its going to be a month and a half until more of those are released from what I understand.
Yeah I was number 2 on the pre-order list from ABT. This is my first AVR actually. Im trying to get my TV remote to work with it but it's frustrating. Also the AVR is not compatible with spade connectors. Which is bs to me.
A few minor things: for both my plex windows machine and my gaming pc, I needed to adjust the window alignment of the picture on the display.
Also it made me smile when I was watching LOTR blueray. That's all I needed from it.
One minor issue : got occasional popping when closing videos without pausing them.
Hopefully it's not a big problem.

My set up is... Interesting: JBL 530/520 fronts, kanto yumi rears, and (soon) a 12" rythmik ported subwoofer

Zone 2 is a pair of vanatoo t0 using the preout because they are powered speakers.

Platypus

Full pre-amp mode is one shared relay for all channels. For you to be able to shut down individual channels you would need a separate relay for each. Relays take space, cost money and use up current while on. So I am pretty sure there is no support beyond what is given to us.

Is it safe to assume that the 3600 model wouldn't be able to get the 'full pre-out' as a firmware update?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for sharing your perspective. I for one find it can make for interesting discussion. Just don't get so offended if not everyone, or no one, agrees with you. I'm opinionated as hell, and have to work hard to keep an open mind and really think about and consider other peoples opinions. Do you know anyone else like that? ;)

This reminds me of someone asked earlier on, why should the AVR-X4700H be recommended? Below is my opinion, and my attempt to put things in perspective, assuming Denon will fix that bug via FW update. Note: I won't be surprised that while it is a bug that should be fixed, many may not consider it a show stopper. From what I gathered, people who are now aware of this bug are still putting their orders in..

First of all, I recognize that Ron is right about "reduced SINAD" but really that's only if compared to separate components or AVRs not measured yet such as the AVR-X8500H but even then I am only speculating, we don't know until Amir gets DJ7675's to measure and only if Amir doesn't mind risk hurting his back (just joking, I am sure he can get help..) .:D

If compared only the units measured by ASR so far, this Denon is right behind the X3600H as it beats all the Arcams (even if we ignore the potentially similar bug in the HDMI input measurements that might have affected the Arcam DUTs), NADs and Anthems except may be the flagship MRX-1120.

The interesting thing is, if you compared the MRX-1120 and AVR-X4700H, they are equal in SINAD up to around 3 V, a slight edge for the MRX here and there, but in a few important areas that may have audible effects for people with apparently better than average hearing and the ability to detect minor sonic differences even in blind listening tests.

Such important (imho) areas would include:

Used as an AVR without external amp:

THD+N at low output level, such as at 100 mW - Denon measured significantly better at -72 dB versus the Anthem at -54 dB, that's literally huge!!

THD+N at high output level - Denon did better in the 4 ohm test, max out at 173 W at 86 dB SINAD, Anthem's 151 W at 76 dB SINAD, again huge

Denon's 9 channels of power amps are identical, so equal rated power.

Anthem has 11 channel internal amplifiers, so that's a win, but only 5 channels are rated 140 W, the other 6 channels are rated 60 W so if Amir measured them, the output graph wouldn't pretty.

Used as Processor/Controller, with external power amp:

IMD - The Denon did much better between -60 to -20 dBFS, above -20, Denon still did better but the gap reduced to almost 0 at 0 dBFS

THD+N - Denon measured significantly better than the Anthem (5-7 dB) at below 1.4 V with internal amps connected or not.

Note: Anthem did a good job not allowing the power amp clipping effects to influence the preamp SINAD, evidenced in the SINAD vs output level curve, but Denon has preamp mode so as preamp that is moot point, up to 3 V output level for sure.

Distortions and noise vs frequency - Again Denon did a lot better, 15 to 20 dB better from 20-20,000 Hz, again, that should be considered huge!

Linearity - Denon is about 2 dB better, perhaps not too significant.

List price - Anthem $3,499 vs Denon $1,699, difference of $1,800

REQ - Hard to say, subjectively I bet most would say AARC is better and a overriding factor, but objectively speaking, now that Audyssey has the help of D+M's $20 App, and the free Ratbuddyssey user interface, I see no reason at all for AARC to be better, in fact I believe it is the other way around based on the fact that I could get 2 to 2.5 dB peak to peak from 20 to 120 Hz within an hour post Audyssey run and 1.7 to 2.5 dB peak to peak within a few hours of tweaking using Ratbuddyssey with the App. So for those who only want to EQ up to the room transition frequency, I believe Audyssey+App+Rat UI is likely better, but who knows..I can only speculate.

To summarize:

Not counting the AVR-X3600H, the Anthem MRX-1120 and Denon AVR-X4700H's measurements seem comparable, but if you look deeper the Denon may have enough edge in areas that may actually result in audible effects for some people under the right/wrong conditions such as in:

Preamp output THD+N and IMD at low output level.
AVR output at low output level, remember the "first watt" thing that many hobbyists especially audiophiles are keen on.
Surround channel performance at high output level, the Denon would have more than 3 dB advantage, assuming the Anthem's class D amps have comparable distortions below their clipping point.

So that's pretty much how I would put things in perspective, that, yes the Denon should be recommended (someone question why it should be, don't remember who and which post, but was asked at least twice,, even after seeing the updated measurements). Put it this way, if it doesn't get the panther with head, neither should the Anthem.:D

My source of data used for the above comparisons

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...anthem-mrx1120-home-theater-avr-review.11911/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x4700-avr-review-updated.14493/

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok thanks.

I agree with Amir, at least for the reason that the 3600 would not have enough switches to do it. I am confident (again can be wrong) that the 2020 models has enough switches because they can already disconnect all internal amps (not powering them off but disconnecting them from the power amps only). So it should be a matter of adding codes to tell the switches what to do, as long as enough switches are there, and wired, to do the job already.

Newman

Major Contributor
Yes, well argued #431.

The weakest bit (of the argument) is probably the defence of Audyssey. The product seems a bit abandoned.

My interest in music playback is key, which brings the upmixer into the comparison. Looking forward to sophisticated and subtle 2-ch music upmixers, that demur on spectacle and insist on authentic-seeming soundfield generation and room 'removal'.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Do you know that for sure, or just assume, educated guess? From the SMs of the X4500H, they don't use external relays for the amp assign function that could be used to disconnect the front left and right channels. They use the NJU72750 switch that is an IC, to do the switching for the assign function to select whether the FL, FR pre-out should be connected the power amps or not. Yes I do hear relay clicking but the relays are for connecting/disconnecting the power amp channels to the speaker binding posts, every channel has it relay in place for that, but again that has nothing to do with the connection between the preamp channels and the power amp channels.

bigguyca has posted the link to the NJU72750 switch many times, so one more time won't hurt:

https://www.njr.com/electronic_device/PDF/NJU72343_E.pdf

Note that it says A-channel and B-channel switches are controlled independently, so if there is enough to disconnect each amp channel, they should be to offer a paid upgrade via FW, to disconnect at least one group that includes the center channel.

If you have any spare time:D, would you try asking Denon about this anyway? I bet we have enough ASR members crazy enough to pay $30 for such FW update.:D:D Even if just allow the extra option to disconnect the LCR only, in addition to the LR and all channel options currently available.

1593955176629.png

Gedeon

Forum Donor
Here you go:

View attachment 71949

Seems like there is no penalty in auto mode.
Great news that auto mode works as intended and no serious penalty (but power, obviously).

Maybe in the next review you could do the same test (ECO vs Non-ECO) at the RCA/Pre-outs. Specially when the model doesn't allow to disconnect internal amps.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the 4700:

View attachment 71694

1593957820205.png

As you see, you can push it to 3.6 volts but after that, it severely clips the output from pre-out.

Amir, in the first graph, why is the red line below the blue? Is it because the blue is for volume lower than 88.5 and/or the two were measured with different input level?

Also, can you include these two graphs in the review, that is page 1?

Not expecting you to include those in future reviews but since you have done such a super detailed review with the best measurements set on the planet, it would be a pity not include those two graphs that could be very useful to a lot of us.
1593957820205.png

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great news that auto mode works as intended and no serious penalty (but power, obviously).

Maybe in the next review you could do the same test (ECO vs Non-ECO) at the RCA/Pre-outs. Specially when the model doesn't allow to disconnect internal amps.

Keep in mind auto mode did not suffer because it depends only on the volume position. So if Amir set the volume to above say around -30, that is above 50 then ECO will be "Off" anyway. For a lot of people ECO set to auto is virtually the same as setting it to "Off" unless they listen at rather low level.

Its a bit like the internal fans that are temperature sensing/activated, they probably never turn on for "normal" use with adequately ventilated even though they are set to "auto".

Gyroscopics

Thank you so much for this guidance! I'll read up on the parasound. I was struggling with how to get bass management and room correction in both cases with one set of speakers!

If you want to save a few bucks but still achieve the same functionality, you can use Parasound's lower pre-amp model (Parasound NewClassic 200 Pre Preamplifier) instead of P6 or HINT. The 200 is cheaper than P6 but adopted the digital components from P5 (older model of P6).

With the NewClassic 200 option, you have the flexibility to choose your amp. I would go for NC252MP based amp modules. The NC252MP has been reviewed here at ASR. This combination would give you better bang for the buck than going the HINT route (or even the P6) route. I had my HINT before these NCores came out, otherwise I would have jumped on this combo. (On a side note I do own a pair of monoblock NC500MP directly fed by balanced DAC in another music setup. I don't use it for HT at this time.)

Vasr

Major Contributor
If you want to save a few bucks but still achieve the same functionality, you can use Parasound's lower pre-amp model (Parasound NewClassic 200 Pre Preamplifier) instead of P6 or HINT. The 200 is cheaper than P6 but adopted the digital components from P5 (older model of P6).

What is the technical reason for an amp to have the same power rating for 8ohms and 4ohms? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Top Bottom