• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Wow, really? How long has it been gone at this point? Do you recall which repair center it was sent to? I sure as heck hope mine's not gone for months.

We are FAR from the only ones I've seen online mention this exact same issue with their X700 line Denon, and even in some other lines. I would hope at this point the techs would be like ... yup, we know what this problem is, and just knock out a fix. Guessing it's a bad board. But a problem might be getting replacement if enough of these are bad in the same way they might not have made enough replacements, and everyone moving forward is SOL cause they're not making more. Could be why yours is held up so long, just a guess.

I suppose I should update this...

I received it back two weeks ago. They said they replaced a power supply board and an amplifier board. They said the delay was waiting on parts. The repair cost me $0 out of pocket, fortunately. Rather than place it back in service, I elected to sell it to a friend with a 1 year "SteveDallas" warranty. AFAIK he has not done anything with it yet, as he bought it for a future home theater project he has not started.

So far, the 4800 I bought to replace it serving me well, and I like its feature set better than the 4700. And no, I cannot hear any difference in the DACs.

brettjv

I suppose I should update this...

I received it back two weeks ago. They said they replaced a power supply board and an amplifier board. They said the delay was waiting on parts. The repair cost me $0 out of pocket, fortunately. Rather than place it back in service, I elected to sell it to a friend with a 1 year "SteveDallas" warranty. AFAIK he has not done anything with it yet, as he bought it for a future home theater project he has not started.

So far, the 4800 I bought to replace it serving me well, and I like its feature set better than the 4700. And no, I cannot hear any difference in the DACs.
Thanks for the update! Now you have me wondering if the reason they replaced that audio board on mine was because it was related to the actual malfunction on the amp, rather than my requested update to the video capability. The repair invoice was not clear about 'why they did what for each task at hand'.

Of course I'd *rather* have the X4800H, but couldn't really afford it, esp. cause I know I'd want all the Dirac stuff if I bought it. Plan to rock the 4700H for awhile, until something that's really 'must have' comes into play. My upgrades meanwhile will likely be limited to subs (I'd like a 2nd Monolith V12 V2), external amp(s), room treatments, and most importantly an OLED 75" (or bigger) ... and maybe speakers ... though still pretty happy with my old Energy RC series (RC-70, RCR, RC-10) on the floor and Best-Buy house brand ceiling set.

Last edited:

alienmuppet

I found an open box (but not return or ex demo) X4800H for a great price, 5 year warranty etc. so going for that. They had one black and one silver like that.. decided to try the silver for a change.. hopefully won’t regret that. It’ll balance out my silver record player on the other side of the cabinet :cool:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I found an open box (but not return or ex demo) X4800H for a great price, 5 year warranty etc. so going for that. They had one black and one silver like that.. decided to try the silver for a change.. hopefully won’t regret that. It’ll balance out my silver record player on the other side of the cabinet :cool:
Wow, not return or ex demo, yet box opened? I guess someone opened it just to look, to compare the black and silver lol..., lucky you if it the price is great, such as at least 20% off... For $1,000 difference, as much as I prefer the C40, I would not pick it, but I would if the difference is between 0 and even $250, that's just me.

So, congrats! You will not likely regret it, and 5 year warranty is truly great for such as AVR, we've got only 3 years in Canada.

alienmuppet

Yes they were opened to take a look. It’s £300 off (so also £300 cheaper than the Marantz) - so saving £300 is a lot considering I’m already spending more than I originally intended. Plus I’m not convinced I’d get on with the porthole, hehe.
I am curious about the marantz “sound” as I am sensitive to any harshness, but wasn’t prepared to spend £300 to check that out. Maybe next time.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they were opened to take a look. It’s £300 off (so also £300 cheaper than the Marantz) - so saving £300 is a lot considering I’m already spending more than I originally intended. Plus I’m not convinced I’d get on with the porthole, hehe.
I am curious about the marantz “sound” as I am sensitive to any harshness, but wasn’t prepared to spend £300 to check that out. Maybe next time.
Sounds like you got yourself a reasonbly good deal. I don't believe the so called Marantz sound is real but to those who do, great for them.

In at least one Masimo/Audioholics YT review, as well as the owner's manual, the dac filter 1(iirc) offered by the AV10 and C30, was cited as the reason for that "sound". The C40 does not even offers the filter choice so it is supposed to offer the default Marantz sound only.

If that's true, you can use MultEQ editor, X, or Dirac Live to achieve the same effects anyway. That's only if you are curious to find out, otherwise just sit back and enjoy.

alienmuppet

Yeah I’m curious about Dirac. That’s another reason I didn’t want to spend more.. because I knew I’d want to try it at some point. Is the license per receiver same as audyssey multieq-x?

Top Bottom