• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-A110

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The A110 has unique windings, caps and uses a different manufacturing method for the boards. I would assume none of this is audible but could affect long term reliability. I owned one and it didn't sound any better then the X4700 I owned before it but my current RMC-IL sounds better than both. I agree with the thought they would be a bit more exclusive and there wouldn't be a .2 (so to speak) model.
You failed to mention resistors and copper plate under the transformer. ;):) Just kidding.
Yeah, without underplaying, or underestimating the Sound Master(s) at Denon/Marantz, I'm wondering how much these 250-plus parts can change the sound. Going from elna silmic to elna silmic 2 cap, does it make it audible? Also, it appears to me they don't practice any double-blind tests and everything depends on one man's ears (can you say golden ears). I personally would prefer the panel of listeners (Revel, KEF) to be used in hearing tests since each one of them may be listening for different things and combined input will result in a more complete product.
That being said, if I had a chance to exchange my 8500H for A110, would I do it? In a heartbeat, cause Denon marketing has me convinced, and a 5-year warranty doesn't hurt. LOL

bo_knows

Hear the politically correct answer from Denon's rep when put on a spot and needs to answer the question on what is the difference in sound between A110 and the new upcoming flagship. She's stating that the new model has "more power". Well, both receivers have the same power rating per channel. The question starts at the 3:57 mark.

bo_knows

I hope his long hair doesn't get in the way of hearing the upper frequencies. :)
Also, I hope his not tuning those AVRs listening through the B&W N800D series speakers.

Here we go:

Last edited:

Mark K

That is what I think.
I first switched from Demon A1x to Marantz 7705 with noticeable difference and upgrading to 8802a with another level up.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is what I think.
I first switched from Demon A1x to Marantz 7705 with noticeable difference and upgrading to 8802a with another level up.
What were the particular differences?

Mark K

AVC A1 sounded very dull, and my 7705 pre much cleaner. Then came the 8802a more musical

Mark K

Am I stupid to use a110 to replace my study's audiolab 8000 which is currently hooked to my computer, an old Matantz streamer NA7004,
I knew I shouldn't ask....
That were AB comparison..
However nothing come close to those 2 channel audiophilic setolup

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know, you're the one calling it "dull". The only Audiolab 8000 I remember was a cd player. You seem to "hear" far more from such a unit than I do. I have no idea how some electronics can be more "musical" than others either....
Am I stupid to use a110 to replace my study's audiolab 8000 which is currently hooked to my computer, an old Matantz streamer NA7004,

That were AB comparison..
However nothing come close to those 2 channel audiophilic setolup

Mark K

Nevertheless it must be my fault looking forwardfor better music reproduction from home cinema gears ...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nevertheless it must be my fault looking forwardfor better music reproduction from home cinema gears ...
Once you get to the midrange gear, quality of the source contents is often more important than the "gear", in terms of sound quality.

Joe63

Anyone use the 110 7.1 analog inputs?

Last edited:
Top Bottom