• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-A110

Descartes

Major Contributor

bigguyca

You have posted what are essentially nice press releases with pictures. There appear to be no measurements in the "reviews."

If you are familiar with the X8500H, X6500H or several other Denon pieces then you know the capabilities of the A110.

The A110 has Denon's standard circuitry with an occasional upgraded part. Unfortunately the power amplifier channels are the same design as those in the X8500H, X6700H or Marantz SR8015. These amplifier channels come with mediocre measurements and inconsistent measurement results between samples. The larger power transformer may provide a little more power.

None of the above says that the A110 is a bad AVR. It's an X6700H or X8500H (with the HDMI 2.1 upgrade long promised for the X8500H) in a really nice case. The performance "should" be similar to the X8500H, which would mean a very good preamp section with so-so power amplifiers. There no doubt would be some pride of ownership.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Exactly I am looking for measurements since they say it was substantially improved? Or was it?

bigguyca

Exactly I am looking for measurements since they say it was substantially improved? Or was it?

Your original post asked for opinions from owners. Now you want measurements. Are you actually asking for what you want now or is this a game?

Golfx

Forum Donor
I have this AVR. I use it as a prepro for 7.2.4 system. I WAS going to buy a traditional prepro from Marantz for instance the HDMI 2.1 replacement for the 8805–until I started reading this forum. I was also toying with the idea of waiting for the Anthem AVM 70 or 90. But BOY am I glad I didn’t go that route. Whew. This unit will measure as good or better than 8500 and with the extra two years of warranty Denon at least has an incentive to QA it’s release quality. Mostly I can say it works, flawlessly as a prepro. Flawlessly! No surprise hiccups or dumb firmware release issues. I also like streaming ultra hd music via HEOS straight over my wifi at 24/192 without being limited via Bluetooth, airplay or having to buy a separate DAC. It also runs surprisingly cool. Much cooler than the Marantz SR 8012 it replaced. So guaranteed good SINAD numbers, good QA, good streaming via HEOS. Oh, and yes, I’m “not” using the internal amps. This will draw criticism from some readers as waisting money. But hey—it’s my money. I suppose I wish it had the two speaker presets but not sure what I’d use them for. The AVR already switches between sound modes. So,hmmm, drapes closed preset 1, drapes open preset 2? Not sure I’m that fussy. My two SVS subs switch between presets via a phone app. So again not sure what I’d use the two presets for. This will serve me very well until/unless ASR tests the lyngdorf MP 60 2.1 version or the trinnov altitude 16 and they show SINAD numbers above say 115. Right now I’m smugly content. Think of my purchase decision as mistake avoidance.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
I have this AVR. I use it as a prepro for 7.2.4 system. I WAS going to buy a traditional prepro from Marantz for instance the HDMI 2.1 replacement for the 8805–until I started reading this forum. I was also toying with the idea of waiting for the Anthem AVM 70 or 90. But BOY am I glad I didn’t go that route. Whew. This unit will measure as good or better than 8500 and with the extra two years of warranty Denon at least has an incentive to QA it’s release quality. Mostly I can say it works, flawlessly as a prepro. Flawlessly! No surprise hiccups or dumb firmware release issues. I also like streaming ultra hd music via HEOS straight over my wifi at 24/192 without being limited via Bluetooth, airplay or having to buy a separate DAC. It also runs surprisingly cool. Much cooler than the Marantz SR 8012 it replaced. So guaranteed good SINAD numbers, good QA, good streaming via HEOS. Oh, and yes, I’m “not” using the internal amps. This will draw criticism from some readers as waisting money. But hey—it’s my money. I suppose I wish it had the two speaker presets but not sure what I’d use them for. The AVR already switches between sound modes. So,hmmm, drapes closed preset 1, drapes open preset 2? Not sure I’m that fussy. My two SVS subs switch between presets via a phone app. So again not sure what I’d use the two presets for. This will serve me very well until/unless ASR tests the lyngdorf MP 60 2.1 version or the trinnov altitude 16 and they show SINAD numbers above say 115. Right now I’m smugly content. Think of my purchase decision as mistake avoidance.

Thank you for your feedback! Spare Change has the Trinnov ans loves it!

Golfx

Forum Donor
Thank you for your feedback! Spare Change has the Trinnov ans loves it!
I saw that. But I would feel silly buying it without some real SINAD measurements. I’ll wait for ASR or Audioholics to come back with math. That’s a lot of money for what could be worse than the a110. Plus, sounds like you have to hire someone to use their room EQ for you.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Yes Trinnov and Storm Audio are too rich for my blood! Same with Steinway-Lyngdorf.

SKBubba

You should buy it and send it to @amirm for measurement! :)

(P.S. Get it from some place that has a liberal return policy, just in case.)

Golfx

Forum Donor
Heh, there is a lot of positive mystique thrown at those companies because of their higher costs. I believe that is why ASR is a leveling experience. Math doesn’t have a subjective opinion.

walt99

Forum Donor
I returned a couple of Anthem units (720, 740, AVM70) for the A110. The Anthems just had too many bugs, always messing with something to get it working almost every time I used it. For me it needs to be easy or the wife ain't happy. With the A110 it has worked perfect from day one with zero issues. The reason I chose it over the 8500 was what I perceive as a higher quality unit with upgraded caps, circuit boards and HDMI 2.1 for future plus longer warranty. As silly as it sounds I use it with external amps in 2 channel pure direct mode and 5.0 only.
Very happy with my decision, unit sounds great.

Steve James

I got mine last week. I am building a new system around it so I don’t think I can add value to the thread just yet.

I have been a long time (25 years) fan of KEF speakers - so going with the R series for the front sound stage (R11) for left and right and their in wall (https://us.kef.com/architectural/in-wall-speakers/ci3160rl-thx.html) for the surrounds and back.

Tthinking about the Ci3160rlb-THX in wall subs to go under each of the surrounds and backs.

I already have a pair of Ci200RR-THX in the ceiling (will add two more pairs).

Going for a 7.2.6 setup (but kind of 7.4.6 as the subs will be run from two KASA500 subwoofer amplifiers.

This isn’t a dedicated home cinema room. It is our family/games room so the in wall speakers is partly to free up space.

Attachments

• F7FE707E-7E61-4B62-A55C-3CBAF75C6C87.jpeg
    F7FE707E-7E61-4B62-A55C-3CBAF75C6C87.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 620

Steve James

Haven’t thought too much about sources yet.

Attachments

• 3EC551E9-EE9B-4EF6-867F-D77C3FF9BF30.jpeg
    3EC551E9-EE9B-4EF6-867F-D77C3FF9BF30.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 815

tparm

Forum Donor
Anyone have any idea how many of these were produced? Strictly a curious question. Thanks

This is was exactly my scenario as well, I had an 8806 pre-pro on order. Thankfully I found this site and switched to the AVR-110. Amir's tests are the "truth serum" in my opinion.

It looks like the A110 has considerably more power than the X8500h when driving 5 channels (the totals are 795 vs. 655 watts into 6 ohms in the summary and 990 vs 805 watts into 4 ohms in the chart)) - this is from the links below. Granted, its a 1K test but it's apples to apples. The A110 has a rewound transformer (presumably better controlled to allow it to perform closer to its original design potential).

https://audiovision.de/denon-avc-8500h-test/

1622362278112.png

https://audiovision.de/denon-avc-a110-test/

1622362327373.png

Last edited:
I was surprised frankly, its the same transformer footprint and as far as I can tell, the same EI Laminated core. From logarithmic standpoint, it's below the 1 db threshold as you said, but its considerable from an engineering standpoint + 23% (for the 990 vs 805 watts into 4 ohms) from tweaking the same design? - very impressive in my opinion. It makes you wonder what other gains they made. Interestingly it gained 2.1 kg in weight relative to the X8500.

Top Bottom