• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

nothing1

here is the Change log for the Ares II FPGA chip EP4CE22F
REVISION HISTORY
-----------------------------------------------------
v1.0 (Jan 01, 2020)
* Original Firmware
v1.6 (March 08, 2023)
* Improved Adaptive FIFO Buffer & Reclocking Architecture
* Reduced the effect of Buffer overrun/underrun due to the Source's Clock and the DAC's Clock differences
* Eliminate Phase Difference between L/R Channels
* Optimised DSP to improve the sonic performance
v1.8 (July 06, 2023)
* Reduce sampling rate change/switching noise with certain transport/streamer
* Fine-tune the sound quality in the mid-range and lower octave of the bass, to achieve a balanced, organic, analog-like sound signature that is characteristic of Denafrips

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
REVISION HISTORY
v1.0 (Jan 01, 2020)
* Original Firmware
v1.6 (March 08, 2023)
* Reduced the effect of Buffer overrun/underrun due to the Source's Clock and the DAC's Clock differences
v1.8 (July 06, 2023)
* Fine-tune the sound quality in the mid-range and lower octave of the bass, to achieve a balanced, organic, analog-like sound signature that is characteristic of Denafrips
So, they are adjusting the "tone controls" via DSP so you don't have to. Assuming that this the case, then measuring a sweep response should easily demonstrate the "bass" improvement described. At least they are "admitting" the reason why their DAC sounds the way it "sounds" - assuming the posted info is accurate.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course it is totally possible that they're intentionally messing with the frequency response, filters and/or deliberately adding distortion to create a sound that some experience as more "pleasant" and therefore "better".

Again I feel this is totally not the job of a DAC and personally I would never even consider buying a DAC that incorporates those "trickeries".

nothing1

So, they are adjusting the "tone controls" via DSP so you don't have to. Assuming that this the case, then measuring a sweep response should easily demonstrate the "bass" improvement described. At least they are "admitting" the reason why their DAC sounds the way it "sounds" - assuming the posted info is accurate.
Taken straight from the Denafrips firmware update page(password protected)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 121

Klipscher

One other noticeable improvement is it seems to fix the micro skip I was getting about 2 seconds into a song whenever the resolution change. I listen to a lot of playlist on tidal and it no longer happens. I think this issue mostly effected audio when using the Ares 2 with WiiM Pro.

Overall think this is my favorite firmware of the 3 nice to see the continued support of there products.
REVISION HISTORY
v1.0 (Jan 01, 2020)
* Original Firmware
v1.6 (March 08, 2023)
v1.8 (July 06, 2023)
Just wanted to add it depends on the chip used in the Ares 2 when it come down to the firmware number. I’m using the EP4CE6F chip and my choices are.
IMG_0976.png

pinpoint_oxford

Overall think this is my favorite firmware of the 3 nice to see the continued support of there products.
Yeah, I am happy about the updates. For a $700 DAC that didn't advertise itself on continuous updates (like the PS Audio DirectStream), I never anticipated any firmware updates. It's moves like this that will keep Denafrips in my mind for recommending to others and, if I ever need a new DAC (which I don't suppose I will).

BitPerfect_

I’m back to the v1.0 and I'll stick with it for the moment.
The bass in v1.8 it’s too much in my system. I usually listen at the first quarter of the volume and sometimes the bass looks like it’s cover the high freq.
By the way, regarding the Phase Difference between L/R Channels corrected in v1.6 I suppose that is referring at Pontus II because, I've found some measurements tests of both Denafrips models and no phase difference mentioned for Ares II but it's mentioned in Pontus II review.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I’m back to the v1.0 and I'll stick with it for the moment.
The bass in v1.8 it’s too much in my system. I usually listen at the first quarter of the volume and sometimes the bass looks like it’s cover the high freq.
By the way, regarding the Phase Difference between L/R Channels corrected in v1.6 I suppose that is referring at Pontus II because, I've found some measurements tests of both Denafrips models and no phase difference mentioned for Ares II but it's mentioned in Pontus II review.

Yeah I believe the wide soundstage that was mentioned in many "audiophile" places was actually a channel imbalance.

But nice that denafrips is still updating the Ares 2. And if they adjust the tone controls in the FGPA chip that's fine too.
I imagine this is a DAC for people that prefer a "hands off" approach and are less likely to play around with PEQ.

:)

BitPerfect_

It could be the missing burn-in stage. I’ve read some reviews and I remember when I installed the second update. In the first hours the sound was weird and after a few days the sound overall it was significantly changed.

I’ll keep you updated. I’ll try again with the latest.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
:)) I know. Not sure what is happening, but it works …
Wasn’t that the firmware with the channel phase difference? Possibly your brain had to adjust to the new (and correct) setup

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Firmware burn in, how long does firmware take?
Keith

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
It could be the missing burn-in stage. I’ve read some reviews and I remember when I installed the second update. In the first hours the sound was weird and after a few days the sound overall it was significantly changed.

I’ll keep you updated. I’ll try again with the latest.
Oh boy. This is nonesense. Sorry to say. What is happening is that people simply get either used to the changed FR response and or imagining (human bias) the change.

On a different remark: I would never ever want a product where the manufacturer is screwing with an otherwise linear FR response. If I want emphasis in bass I apply my own EQ.

KSTR

Major Contributor
On a different remark: I would never ever want a product where the manufacturer is screwing with an otherwise linear FR response.
But nice that denafrips is still updating the Ares 2. And if they adjust the tone controls in the FGPA chip that's fine too.
There is zero evidence that there really was a frequency response change and it is competely unlikely.

Yeah I believe the wide soundstage that was mentioned in many "audiophile" places was actually a channel imbalance.
There never was a channel imbalance. One channel was a fraction of sample late (probably one or several samples after upsampling) which has zero impact on soundstage width.

BitPerfect_

Wasn’t that the firmware with the channel phase difference? Possibly your brain had to adjust to the new (and correct) setup
Yes, and I've said, I suppose ...
[...] regarding the Phase Difference between L/R Channels corrected in v1.6 I suppose that is referring at Pontus II because,[...]

Your brain plasticity is happening. And yes, it works. The firmware doesn't change.
Could be. In the end, if there is another scientific name for this and we are pleased with the "new" signature sound, I'm happy with that.
By the way, if you are a Denafrips owner, you can try this. Then, you can revert back to the initial firmware, we don't have to believe what other people say ... imho. Thanks for sharing, I didn't know about the brain plasticity.

Oh boy. This is nonesense. Sorry to say. What is happening is that people simply get either used to the changed FR response and or imagining (human bias) the change.

On a different remark: I would never ever want a product where the manufacturer is screwing with an otherwise linear FR response. If I want emphasis in bass I apply my own EQ.
It's ok, it could be nonsense like it was for me in the first phase when I've updated from first to the second Firmware.
Yeah, I understand your point of view. On the other hand, now that I have the Ares II and also 3 options of firmware, I am interested to see which one fits better in my system, that's all. As long as I don't have the possibility to do an AB test, I'll just keep listening until I'll say, this is enough, this is the sound that I was looking for, if there is such thing.

But again, here from page 54 there are reports by Denafrips owners, describing the way sound was shifted almost the in same way.
If there is something like mental group manipulation, this is huge.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But again, here from page 54 there are reports by Denafrips owners, describing the way sound was shifted almost the in same way.
If there is something like mental group manipulation, this is huge.
There are thousands of forum posts on the internet about how a power cable change impacts sound. That doesn’t make any of it more true either.

BitPerfect_

I agree. Like others that say that Hi-res doesn't matter and so on. And I'm not here to sell Denafrips :)

By the way, this could be a very interesting test to be made by @amirm using a Denafrips DAC if there is any available.
Before burn-in and after let's say 100-200 hours with a new firmware update.

Top Bottom