• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
As in, the bass gets exaggerated? Or the old firmware had a high pass filter implemented for some reason?

Danddd

Not even close. The Holo May leaves it in the dust:

As it should for $3K more...

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It should, shouldn't it? But then you add ~$9K more and get this miserable result:

High-end audio math is weird :D

Last edited:

BitPerfect_

As in, the bass gets exaggerated?
The bass it sounds almost like the way it was using the first factory firmware imo as far as I remember. I can’t say that it was / it is exaggerated. (There are 3 versions of Firmwares now for Ares II).

pinpoint_oxford

The bass it sounds almost like the way it was using the first factory firmware imo as far as I remember. I can’t say that it was / it is exaggerated. (There are 3 versions of Firmwares now for Ares II).
In the release notes it specifies they tweaked the bass:

* Reduce sampling rate change/switching noise with certain transport/streamer
* Fine-tune the sound quality in the mid-range and lower octave of the bass, to achieve a balanced, organic, analog-like sound signature that is characteristic of Denafrips
I will install it on mine tonight and see if I notice anything.

pinpoint_oxford

I still don't get it.

What "quality" could possibly make the bass stand out more? It makes absolutely no sense, other than if they "cheat" and d¤ck around with the frequency response.
Who's to say? They don't publish the source code so there's no way to know what they actually changed.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
True, but the effects of the change can be measured. Although, it would be pretty sadistic to ask @amirm to measure the ARES II one more time, just to see what (if any) difference the new firmware makes.

It's just completely nonsensical to me that a DAC would be able to influence the bass like that. Other than if dirty tricks are being deployed.

pinpoint_oxford

So I listened to a couple of tracks with good bass variety and then upgraded and listened again. The bass might sound a bit tighter and less worbly, but if there was a change it's really subtle. Either way, still sounds great to me!

BitPerfect_

I’ll try to put the v1.0 to see how it sounds compared with the last version. I remember when I upgraded to v1.2 the scene was wider. I know some will say ‘get out of here’ but it was, letting all the other components of the audio chain untouched.

I’ll get back just to see if there is a difference.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't get how a firmware update that provides extra bass is supposed to be a good thing.
The job of a DAC is a 1:1 conversion from digital to analogue, preferably/hopefully being transparent, nothing more nothing less.

A DAC should NOT alter the bass or anything else in any way that is not the job of a DAC.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The bass it sounds almost like the way it was using the first factory firmware imo as far as I remember.

I’ll try to put the v1.0 to see how it sounds compared with the last version. I remember when I upgraded to v1.2 the scene was wider.

You do know that the reliable echoic memory of humans is only 3-4 seconds....

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Two really, really good points.

A/B'ing for subtleties requires instantaneous switching between sources to reach any kind of reliability.

And if the effect is pronounced enough to enter your long term memory, it will be caused by something "violent", like large changes to the frequency response. That does not belong in a DAC. It's the job of an equalizer.

BitPerfect_

It’s possible to have a DSP inside? Dunno, just asking. The sound is changed for sure it’s not placebo :)

Overall, I don’t hear it like having a violent bass but there is a change in low freq part of the spectrum.

BitPerfect_

How about if you know a melody well enough and you have listen that song many times before? I agree with your statement, don’t get me wrong …

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It’s possible to have a DSP inside? Dunno, just asking.

Of course. But DSP without a user interface is just a baked in deliberate deviation from the digital source.

I see no good reason whatsoever to make that choice in a DAC design, other than a cheap trick to stand out from the crowd.

Placebo is still the most probable explanation.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
How about if you know a melody well enough and you have listen that song many times before?

Like @Lupin told you above, roughly 3-4 seconds after you're done listening to something, your brain deletes all the memory you have of nuances. All that's left is "the big picture" and the feeling they gave you. Just a sad fact of biology.

Top Bottom