• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DDC + miniDSP: Does it make sense?

yllanos

I have been thinking about making changes to my stereo setup.

I have been interested in getting a miniDSP Studio (the digital-only one) and to try an R2R DAC since I have never tried that kind of sound before.

Anyway, when researching about R2R DACs, I got to Denafrips offerings (Ares II 12th-1) but I also discovered Iris DDC.

So a possible option would be to connect my system like this:

Streamer (USB out) -->> Denafrips Iris (AES-EBU Out) -->> miniDSP Studio (AES-EBU Out) -->> Denafrips Ares II 12th-1 (XLR out) -->> Amp -->> Speakers

But it got me wondering: does the DDC even makes sense in this setup? Wouldn't I be somehow... "polluting" the signal by going through the miniDSP into the DAC?

Connecting the Iris DDC right before the DAC is not possible as MiniDSP Studio has no USB out (only in).

All comments are welcome.

Many thanks.

RandomEar

In the suggested signal chain, the Iris looks useless to me. It's just a signal converter from USB to AES-EBU, but the miniDSP Studio also has a USB input, so why convert twice? It should make absolutely no difference to sound quality, but might lead to obscure compatibility problems or add a ground loop.

Depending on what DAC you currently use, I wouldn't expect any audible change at all by switching to the Ares II. It is certainly capable for an R2R device, but hundreds of somewhat modern DAC models are technically equal or better (but will still sound the same). The miniDSP on the other hand can make a big difference to your listening experience if you calibrate and use Dirac. It is also a streamer itself, so your old streamer might technically become obsolete, too.

OP
yllanos

yllanos

In the suggested signal chain, the Iris looks useless to me. It's just a signal converter from USB to AES-EBU, but the miniDSP Studio also has a USB input, so why convert twice? It should make absolutely no difference to sound quality, but might lead to obscure compatibility problems or add a ground loop.

Depending on what DAC you currently use, I wouldn't expect any audible change at all by switching to the Ares II. It is certainly capable for an R2R device, but hundreds of somewhat modern DAC models are technically equal or better (but will still sound the same). The miniDSP on the other hand can make a big difference to your listening experience if you calibrate and use Dirac. It is also a streamer itself, so your old streamer might technically become obsolete, too.

Yeah that is what I am suspecting as well. Seems irrelevant. But I still would like to get opinions on the matter, I am not sure if I'm missing something.

I am currently using the built-in DAC on my Eversolo DMP-A6. I will keep it as a streamer only device in the future: I like the screen and the app ecosystem.

unpluggged

But I still would like to get opinions on the matter
It's not a matter of opinion. USB input is better on the miniDSP, no need for another converter. And if we are talking, no need for R2R snake oil, either. Better get the RME ADI-2 DAC FS instead.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Minidsp studio is for running PEQ and integration of subwoofers? The Eversolo streamer has a good Dac and they're implementing some PEQ as well as the GEQ.

OP
yllanos

yllanos

The Minidsp studio is for running PEQ and integration of subwoofers? The Eversolo streamer has a good Dac and they're implementing some PEQ as well as the GEQ.

Yes, the idea is to self-learn how to do room measurements and/or use Dirac Live. I am not actually interested in GEQ/PEQ on device.

RandomEar

Yes, the idea is to self-learn how to do room measurements and/or use Dirac Live. I am not actually interested in GEQ/PEQ on device.
If that is the only thing you want to use on the Studio, you're wasting some money on the streaming capability it comes with. In that case, why not consider the Flex? It's available as analog version (-> Dirac processing + DAC) and as a digital only device (-> just Dirac).

OP
yllanos

yllanos

If that is the only thing you want to use on the Studio, you're wasting some money on the streaming capability it comes with. In that case, why not consider the Flex? It's available as analog version (-> Dirac processing + DAC) and as a digital only device (-> just Dirac).

Yeah you are correct. But I would like to go back to the original question: is a DDC irrelevant as explained on original post?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a DDC irrelevant as explained on original post?
Yes. The Minidsp SHD Studio is an all digital device. Inputs digital, outputs digital. I can't see any reason to have digital out of a streamer sent to a digital converter to convert USB digital stream to AES3 digital stream to send on to a device that can accept USB digital stream that does its processing in digital. The only reason for a digital converter is if you have an interface mismatch and there are cheaper devices that can do that.

unpluggged

I can't see any reason to have digital out of a streamer
The OP meant it the other way around. And it's even less reasonable to feed the SHD from a DDC when its own USB input is more than adequate,

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The OP meant it the other way around. And it's even less reasonable to feed the SHD from a DDC when its own USB input is more than adequate,
That's what I said. Device that accepts USB digital stream is the Minidsp
I can't see any reason to have digital out of a streamer sent to a digital converter to convert USB digital stream to AES3 digital stream to send on to a device that can accept USB digital stream that does its processing in digital.
He didn't say the other way around and yes it makes no sense.
Streamer (USB out) -->> Denafrips Iris (AES-EBU Out) -->> miniDSP Studio (AES-EBU Out) -->> Denafrips Ares II 12th-1 (XLR out) -->> Amp -->> Speakers

Megaken

I have a DDC going into a MiniDSP Flex, but the whole point of the DDC in my construct is to BYPASS the noisy USB circuitry entirely.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 12.41.58 PM.png

Top Bottom