• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

Danddd

Understandable - Denafrips has a support location in Texas that we can ship ours to in the US. If a person accidentally bricks their Dac while applying an update (firmware) they can send it back to support in Texas - the only thing is the owner has to pay shipping both ways. I haven't had a problem performing firmware updates on my DAC but I'm also a PC Tech...so that's something I understand. Being in Italy with no guarantees...I can see why you're a bit ski-dish about purchasing one. I feel the same way about my S.M.S.L. as documented in this thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/s-m-s-l-su-9n-issue.35526/ . I haven't had an issue with it yet. It seems that a lot of the cheaper, well measuring dacs are having QC issues.
From the Denafrips site instructions, the update doesn't seem too difficult to do. Is there anything to look out for so as to not brick the unit?

prerich

From the Denafrips site instructions, the update doesn't seem too difficult to do. Is there anything to look out for so as to not brick the unit?
Make sure you stop windows signed drivers process. Also follow the directions exactly has given....do that, you'll be alright

Zerviscos

Does this have a delay-start? Like it's switching between sample rates, or buffer audio delay and can someone confirm me how much? Because I've had an IDAC-6 before and that was very noticeable with songs basically getting cut at the start around a few milliseconds after.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Does this have a delay-start? Like it's switching between sample rates, or buffer audio delay and can someone confirm me how much? Because I've had an IDAC-6 before and that was very noticeable with songs basically getting cut at the start around a few milliseconds after.
I have a raspberry pi hat with AD1865 that has a relay that causes the same delay.. it also shuts off the output if a track is super quiet, which was very annoying and the main reason I don't use it anymore. I don't believe the Denafrips does that

Danddd

The ARES II has been flawless with the WiiM Pro connected via Coax cable for me.

ethanhallbeyer

Has anyone tried the latest ARES II firmware? Have you noticed a good difference vs the stock firmware?

Klipscher

Has anyone tried the latest ARES II firmware? Have you noticed a good difference vs the stock firmware?
In my case it was an improvement with the slight pop-click sound whenever bitrate changed btw tracks, I no longer hear it. I prefer the sound quality more with new firmware.

Seems like people with Ares 2 were mostly happy with new firmware. On the Pontus there seemed to be mixed feeling concerning the upgraded firmware.

The good news is they offer both the new and old firmware so if you don’t like the improved version can just flashback to the original.

ethanhallbeyer

In my case it was an improvement with the slight pop-click sound whenever bitrate changed btw tracks, I no longer hear it. I prefer the sound quality more with new firmware.

Seems like people with Ares 2 were mostly happy with new firmware. On the Pontus there seemed to be mixed feeling concerning the upgraded firmware.

The good news is they offer both the new and old firmware so if you don’t like the improved version can just flashback to the original.

Interesting that the Pontus FW gets mixed reviews. I've yet to update FW on my ARES II, but plan to give it a try in the coming weeks/months. Sounds like the difference between old and new FW aren't that great.

Klipscher

Interesting that the Pontus FW gets mixed reviews. I've yet to update FW on my ARES II, but plan to give it a try in the coming weeks/months. Sounds like the difference between old and new FW aren't that great.
I definitely like the improvement with the Ares 2 so I would suggest to at least try it out. You can always flash back if you’re unhappy with results. Head fi has a bunch of post on new firmware if you’re looking for more subjective opinions on sound quality.

funnychap

One thing I will say about Denafrips is this....They have great customer service! If you have an issue, they attempt to resolve it within 24-48 hours. I have two external DACs, one is a Delta Sigma ...SU-9N and the other is the Denafrips Ares II with the 12th Anniversary firmware installed now (R2R dac). I love both but find myself listening to the Denafrips more....I just do - users choice :cool: not proclaiming one is better than the other.
I was in San Antonio and Austin this past weekend and I enjoyed the live music there.
So yesterday I ordered the Denafrips Ares II 12th generation (more power, better firmware, and i2s input) which reviewers say sounds even more realistic than the original Denafrips Ares II. I'm looking forward to hearing the Denafrips (R2R technology) compared to Delta-sigma chip based from ESS Sabre (I have the Topping E50, Topping E70, Arcam AVR5 receiver that has the ESS Sabre 9026Pro).

I do NOT recommend my Denon X3700H with an unknown dac that is not dynamic and is terrible for 2-channels music.

pinpoint_oxford

I was in San Antonio and Austin this past weekend and I enjoyed the live music there.
So yesterday I ordered the Denafrips Ares II 12th generation (more power, better firmware, and i2s input) which reviewers say sounds even more realistic than the original Denafrips Ares II. I'm looking forward to hearing the Denafrips (R2R technology) compared to Delta-sigma chip based from ESS Sabre (I have the Topping E50, Topping E70, Arcam AVR5 receiver that has the ESS Sabre 9026Pro).

I do NOT recommend my Denon X3700H with an unknown dac that is not dynamic and is terrible for 2-channels music.
Curious to hear your thoughts! I moved from a topping d10s in my main system to the ares ii and enjoy it quite a bit! I think it sounds better, more alive maybe? I also like the R2R topology and the engineering behind it. It's very clear denafrips takes pride in their engineering work and craftsmanship, which I appreciate.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So yesterday I ordered the Denafrips Ares II 12th generation (more power, better firmware, and i2s input) which reviewers say sounds even more realistic than the original Denafrips Ares II.

Of course they do! It wouldn't do at all to say it sounds the same... How could they sell stuff if they did that?

I'd bet a fair bit of money that none of them could tell them apart under any normal music listening circumstance in any kind of controlled test.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In almost 40 years I have never seen a paid reviewer say 'I couldn't tell the difference between the old one and this new improved model.'

Not once. Doesn't matter if it's a DAC, an amp, a cable, whatever.

And the new one is never worse, Everything always gets better and better.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Yeah, it's always an improvement, and you can keep going indefinitely. Don't enjoy your Britney Spears albums? Not a problem! Just add more and more of the stuff the reviewers rave about as being "analogue", and she'll turn into Joni Mitchell :D

I moved from a topping d10s in my main system to the ares ii and enjoy it quite a bit! I think it sounds better, more alive maybe? I also like the R2R topology and the engineering behind it.

I'm not a deity, so this is just a guess: I wouldn't be surprised if that 'also' is actually the main cause of your impression. The idea of R2R and your admiration of the design fabricates an audible difference in your mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that. An impression is an impression. But it shouldn't be allowed to skew any attempts at finding causation.

Klipscher

Yeah, it's always an improvement, and you can keep going indefinitely. Don't enjoy your Britney Spears albums? Not a problem! Just add more and more of the stuff the reviewers rave about as being "analogue", and she'll turn into Joni Mitchell :D

I'm not a deity, so this is just a guess: I wouldn't be surprised if that 'also' is actually the main cause of your impression. The idea of R2R and your admiration of the design fabricates an audible difference in your mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that. An impression is an impression. But it shouldn't be allowed to skew any attempts at finding causation.
There definitely a difference in the sound btw the R2R and a chip based dac imho.
Of course they do! It wouldn't do at all to say it sounds the same... How could they sell stuff if they did that?

I'd bet a fair bit of money that none of them could tell them apart under any normal music listening circumstance in any kind of controlled test.
The biggest difference I feel is the newer ares has the I²S connection.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
@Klipscher :

Klipscher

@Klipscher :
Doesn’t I²S allow a better connection to a DCC device? After reading link will have to read the follow up post since test was done 4 years ago. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Doesn’t I²S allow a better connection to a DCC device?

To a DAC? Yes, technically a better connection, but the DAC does not need it. A good s/pdif implementation gives you zero audible artifacts. If you look at if from a "black box" point of view (the most sensible approach), you'll realise that you gain nothing from using I²S.

After reading link will have to read the follow up post since test was done 4 years ago.

It was an overkill solution to a non-existent problem 4 years ago, and it's still an overkill solution to a non-existent problem.

Top Bottom