• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

decoupling capacitor issue !

day747

Is this warning comprehensive on all Amplifier? Or just AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC ?
1689689647129.png

Because I decided to buy AUDIOPHONICS LPA-S500NC For use with the Denon 3800h by (trigger)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That is true of any DC-coupled amplifier and there are many such.

The definition is wrong, however: a capacitor in series with the signal, a DC-blocking capacitor, is a coupling, not decoupling capacitor. A decoupling capacitor is meant to decouple (isolate) the voltage from any AC signal and so is typically found in the power supply. The DC filtering capacitors in a power supply are decoupling capacitors. The series capacitors in the signal path are coupling capacitors used to pass through AC signals whilst blocking DC.

HTH - Don

OP
D

day747

So what to do? Or how do I avoid this thing?

Inquiry: Can I use the Amplifier through the smart plug? So I don't have to use the trigger?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
So what to do? Or how do I avoid this thing?
Make sure whatever is driving the amplifier is not DC-coupled or has a correction circuit (feedback loop) that suppresses DC on the signal to the amplifier. DC coupling is usually advertised as a "feature" in the specifications or you can ask the manufacturer of whatever component is driving the amplifier.

Inquiry: Can I use the Amplifier through the smart plug? So I don't have to use the trigger?
Ask Audiophonics unless someone here owns one and can answer. A smart strip is usually the same as turning on and off the power switch so should work as long as it has a physical power switch you can leave on. Some devices use a "soft" power switch that requires power to be applied to activate (turn on) the device. Worst case you can buy or build a trigger circuit, but in your case the simplest solution is to use the trigger output from your Denon to drive the amplifier.

OP
D

day747

Ask Audiophonics unless someone here owns one and can answer. A smart strip is usually the same as turning on and off the power switch so should work as long as it has a physical power switch you can leave on. Some devices use a "soft" power switch that requires power to be applied to activate (turn on) the device. Worst case you can buy or build a trigger circuit, but in your case the simplest solution is to use the trigger output from your Denon to drive the amplifier.
I want to use trigger but I'm afraid of this warning

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

SSS

I want to use trigger but I'm afraid of this warning
This warning is valid for all amplifiers with DC coupled input. To avoid the DC fed into the power amp you may use a capacitor in the signal line (the inner conductor of the shielded audio cable). The value depends on the input impedance of the power amplifier. The data of the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC don't tell it, also Amirs evaluation not as far as I saw.

OP
D

day747

I found this question on the site Denon
What is the max voltage output from my AVR's RCA pre-outs?
When using the Pre-Out section from your AVR model, the RCA pre-outs can output up to 1.2V
Is there a problem with the voltage 1.2V

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I think you are a bit confused. There are two types of current: 1) alternating (AC) which includes mains power, video and audio signals (whether analogue or digital) and 2) Direct Current (DC) which is the sort of thing generated by batteries and power supplies.

There is nothing wrong with a DC-coupled power amplifier, except if you put a DC signal into it, in which case it can amplify this signal and send it to your speakers. Speakers hate DC, they like AC. So, to avoid this problem, make certain your device that is plugged into the power amplifier is AC coupled (has a capacitor in series), or is working well and not sending DC on its outputs.

This has a) nothing to do with how much AC signal your previous device outputs which is that 1.2V AC value above.
This has b) nothing to do with trigger circuitry at all

You might find it helpful to read up a bit about Alternating and Direct Current e.g. https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/alternating-current/chpt-1/what-is-alternating-current-ac/

Top Bottom