• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton RSS390HE

Axelpowa

Hi,

Im planning on building a DIY subwoofer with the Driver Dayton RSS390HE powered with a Behringer NX3000 in bridge mode.

Sealed enclosure with 3 net cubic feet.

Ive read in many places this is a very good driver that can dig deep in low frequencys without a massive enclosure thanks to his great xmax.

Use is home theater.

It will be paired with another Dayton Ultimax 18UM-22, also sealed in a 6 cubic feet box.

I dont need the RS390HE to dig very deep, the ultimax already does enough. Im not expert in winisd, but making a simulation the f3 in 3cf sealed was arround 40hz which seems not very deep...

It will be eqd with Dirac in a Onkyo RZ70.

Do you think I need DSP to set a HPF arround 30hz to protect the driver in such a small box or will Dirac be enough?

Regards!

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, it doesn't naturally play low in a sealed cabinet. EQ/DSP would get the -3dB point lower, although small rooms may not need it due to the natural room gain below 40Hz.

No, you won't need a high-pass filter for the sealed config. You can actually give it the full 800 watts of power rating without hitting xmax. It may not sound good at that power level but it will definitely survive.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
RSS390HE is NLA.
Site says backordered, estimated availability 3/8/24....

ps Damn searched right used RSS390HF-4 result....and HO is another option. Is HE a thing?

mcdn

Forum Donor
Assuming you want THX levels there’s no such thing as a driver that ”naturally plays low” in a sealed cabinet unless the cabinet is huge. You need high excursion and high power handling as a start point, and then DSP to shape the response.

Ported subs are a bit different - it’s possible to get an f3 down to 20Hz without DSP in a box that is large but not the size of a small car.

Wolf

Came from PE staff themselves. It was apparently costly to manufacture, and the demand wasn't high enough. The 10/12 HE are still stock items.

The HF and HO are the older models with lower xmax and single spiders.

The Ultimax, I'm told, was to be replaced with the HE eventually. I think it turns out that even though the specs shifted a bit in manufacturing changes, that the demand or draw of the Ultimax drivers is still higher than that of the HE lineup. The box models for the HE vs Ultimax really are not different enough to be concerned with hampered driver availability.

OP
A

Axelpowa

Users in AVSForums claim the HE be better driver than Ultimax series, but regarding sound quality I dont expect any significant changes.

As I have both oh them (although my ultimax is the 18" model) I can compare them in the upper bass.

Regards!

Wolf

I suppose if the cone mass is lighter on the HE, that it may have better transient response. The Ultimax cones are heavy suckers.

Top Bottom