• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

David Salz of WireWorld screws the pooch on Ethernet Cabling

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh this is friggin hilarious:

He passes WW off as an 'engineering not marketing' outfit and then they release this gem of a video.

1:14, 1:28, 2:10 are the real highlights.

WireWorld has no clue what they are talking about.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Gosh. He says since there is error correction in networking protocols, it must mean that bits are lost. What he doesn't know is that these networking protocols were designed to transmit data across long distances. It just happens that we also use them when we go short distances in a home. The error retransmission rarely if ever gets used in that scenario. And when it does, it is because of some fault or error condition, not because the Ethernet cable all of a sudden starts to corrupt the bits so much.

I just went out and looked at my Ethernet switch. Here are its stats:

upload_2017-10-13_14-48-56.png

See how there is a sea of zeros for Receive and Transmit despite the high traffic on the ports.

And this is key: we can instrument such things. So if their cable has less errors, all they have to do is run it against a generic cable and report the difference. There is no mystery here.

And oh, the cables above run through our home and are far, far longer than any short run to a DAC or streamer. How is their cable supposed to remedy the long lengths already behind walls???

Reactions: trl
OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the netstat -e output from one of my work stations:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32>netstat -e
Interface Statistics

Received Sent

Bytes 3331061880 2556193652
Unicast packets 6038920 4308132
Non-unicast packets 1370184 1082588
Discards 0 0
Errors 0 0
Unknown protocols 0

He'll probably argue that these numbers don't show the # of re-trys and that their cabling would mean less of them therefore even though no data is lost that the MAC PHY had to work harder with affordable (like $0.50 a foot) cable.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
upload_2017-10-13_19-31-44.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Reactions: trl

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I use a wireless mesh network, with cable modem and top node router being in the garage. No other physical connections.

Where in my topology should I insert this wonderful Cat 8 cable for best sonic results?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I use a wireless mesh network, with cable modem and top node router being in the garage. No other physical connections.
You sir are in dire need of an audiophile power supply for that cable modem/router then! :)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You sir are in dire need of an audiophile power supply for that cable modem/router then! :)

The previous owner was a journeyman electrician. The house is wired for a generator and has 400 A circuits. :)

I would love to get his take on those silly little power supplies.

A.wayne

Oh this is friggin hilarious:

He passes WW off as an 'engineering not marketing' outfit and then they release this gem of a video.

1:14, 1:28, 2:10 are the real highlights.

WireWorld has no clue what they are talking about.

Does this mean his cat8 cable is no good .... ??

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this mean his cat8 cable is no good .... ??

The cable is most likely fine. The 3 meter Starlight I had worked no worse than my 98 meter CAT5e. One was $27.50 a foot and the other $0.30 a foot.

They don't provide any certification to go with the claims it's truly a CAT8 cable. But that's not the egregious part of it.

It's the fact that he's a clueless dipshit talking about something and being completely wrong in his understanding about how Ethernet works.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's his claims that are no good.

Is the cable no good?? Curious question. Let us suppose it meets all the requirements to be a good Cat8 cable like something properly vetted like Belden. If it then costs such a large amount of money to equal Belden results I would declare for practical purposes it is no good.

He does seem to be using a Lewitt mike with a wireless attachment on it. I like the Lewitt condensers I have, but I use wire. I wonder why he didn't use that chance to showcase some of his own xlr cabling on the microphone?

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound on sound recently had an article on ethernet audio in the July issue.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ethernet-audio
This only shows part of the article, I bought the full article and am still working my way through it. I'm familiar with ethernet from an IT/data perspective but not audio.

I do routing and switching and AES67/Dante/AVB are all just protocols like HTTP, FTP, STUN, RTSP, SIP, it's packet data.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I do routing and switching and AES67/Dante/AVB are all just protocols like HTTP, FTP, STUN, RTSP, SIP, it's packet data.
Yes, bits are bits. Audiophiles have managed to create a meme where anyone who utters those words must be an ignorant philistine, but the reality is that audio packets are indistinguishable from other packets.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, bits are bits. Audiophiles have managed to create a meme where anyone who utters those words must be an ignorant philistine, but the reality is that audio packets are indistinguishable from other packets.

I don't know how those guys ever listen to streaming, with all those dirty internet pipes, random routes, and resend / retry attempts.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It's all cleaned up by the last (audiophile) cable to their component, of course.

Top Bottom