• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Just got them a few hours ago so here are my first impressions (set-up is Qobuz Lossless, Topping E30, THX789):

I think after the many headphones I've owned my favorites have always been my HD800 and my HD600. I'm used to how those two sound and have EQ'd them both so I know what kind of reference I should be shooting for. That being said, I think the AEON RT just might be my new favorite headphone.

Treble is just a bit tooooo bright, but it's no where near fatiguing or distracting like the stock HD800.
Mids are great, vocals both male and female are clear and engaging.
Bass... oh my god the BASS. Just the right amount. Everything is so clear. It doesn't boom like artificially bass boosted cans like Beats do, but it's just so well articulated!

Super comfy, luxurious... I'm not trying to repeat what everyone has said but I'm just concurring with what others have said about this can. It is one of the few headphones that I have trouble taking off because I enjoy listening to music on it so much.
I took out the pre-installed white foam inserts btw.

Migel83

Just got them a few hours ago so here are my first impressions (set-up is Qobuz Lossless, Topping E30, THX789):

I think after the many headphones I've owned my favorites have always been my HD800 and my HD600. I'm used to how those two sound and have EQ'd them both so I know what kind of reference I should be shooting for. That being said, I think the AEON RT just might be my new favorite headphone.

Treble is just a bit tooooo bright, but it's no where near fatiguing or distracting like the stock HD800.
Mids are great, vocals both male and female are clear and engaging.
Bass... oh my god the BASS. Just the right amount. Everything is so clear. It doesn't boom like artificially bass boosted cans like Beats do, but it's just so well articulated!

Super comfy, luxurious... I'm not trying to repeat what everyone has said but I'm just concurring with what others have said about this can. It is one of the few headphones that I have trouble taking off because I enjoy listening to music on it so much.
I took out the pre-installed white foam inserts btw.
I find it a little brighter than the Lcd2c and I think it looks good that way.

What can be a bit annoying in terms of fatigue is with the eating chip.
I've paired it with the Matrix Audio mini ipro 2S and the Little Dot 1+ and find it a little too sharp on top.
Unfortunately, the filters don't have the desired hope of being able to adjust something, otherwise it would be really great.

On the Akm 4490,Wolfson and Cs... which is in the Nuprime Hi mdac super relaxed ,fatigue free at the highest level.

Let's see if it becomes even more relaxed with the Matrix Audio Dac and other hybrid amplifiers.
The tube will be a 6SN7 where I hope for relaxation.

SilverWolf

Dare I say it lol but not bright at all when running off tasty balanced tubes, no filters need inserting and more spacious. How I'm enjoying them right now, I love this set of closed planars on everything.

RHO

Major Contributor
Surprising experiment: I'm running the Aeon RT's from an iBasso DC03 dongle from my phone. Works perfectly fine. It gets quite loud even. :)

imagidominc

Forum Donor
I find it a little brighter than the Lcd2c and I think it looks good that way.

What can be a bit annoying in terms of fatigue is with the eating chip.
I've paired it with the Matrix Audio mini ipro 2S and the Little Dot 1+ and find it a little too sharp on top.
Unfortunately, the filters don't have the desired hope of being able to adjust something, otherwise it would be really great.

On the Akm 4490,Wolfson and Cs... which is in the Nuprime Hi mdac super relaxed ,fatigue free at the highest level.

Let's see if it becomes even more relaxed with the Matrix Audio Dac and other hybrid amplifiers.
The tube will be a 6SN7 where I hope for relaxation.
Have fun experimenting with tubes!

Migel83

Have fun experimenting with tubes!
Thank you,
I talked to the developer again after I sent in the tubes.
We are in good spirits.
His suggestion was to go to two tubes instead of one.
That will bring small advantages in terms of sound.
As the Schiit Lyr 3 principle.
And the construction of the hybrid amplifier begins slowly.

I experimented a bit again.
In combination with the Matrix Audio Ipro 2S and Little Dot 1+ I had the hope that it could be a bit better with the Mullard tubes.
This was not the case, it became sharper again.
But, I changed the felt inserts from foam to black felt and lo and behold.
You could actually listen to it and enjoy it.

This morning I took the Aeon R/T to the Singxer Dac and was shocked why it sounded so dull.
And that was because of the felt inserts.
I exchanged them for the white one notch filter and everything was fine.

So these inserts definitely make sense.
Don't throw them away, you will need them, especially if the Dac changes, you can flexibly exchange the inserts.

I wish there was something like this for other headphones too.
It would almost be compulsory with these damping inserts you can really quickly adjust everything to your ear preferences.

I then connected the Lcd2C to the Little Dot with the Mullard and the Matrix Audio Dac as a combination.
And that was really tiring for me.
After 2-4 minutes I had to unplug it - that was no longer possible.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Migel83 , just use headphone frequency response measurements and software EQ rather than messing about with tubes and various mechanical modifications to the headphone (eg foam inserts).....you don't know where you are otherwise when you do your listening testing. This conversation of tubes vs EQ / transparency, etc has been done to death many times so I'm not gonna strike it up again with an extended conversation, but felt I had to put down the point.

TheHighContemplator

Just ordered the Drop DCA Closed X based mostly on my ASR reading. Might take a while to get to Canada, but we'll see. I've been using Meze 99 Classics since 2017 with the original pads. Recently replaced the pads with the Brainwavz Hybrid pads. Then I purchased an E1DA 9038D to use with my laptop running Linux Mint, and PulseEffects for EQ. I then got a gift of the Topping E30 & L30 combo. Last change was running Oratory's EQ settings. The 99's in this configuration are honestly fun and pretty damn awesome. I look forward to comparing the two. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

TheHighContemplator

Seems like I should be getting my RT's on Monday, which is pretty quick. For those using Oratory1990's eq settings, do you prefer his Hifi settigns or the Harman Curve settings? On my Meze's, I definitely prefer the Harman settings. The Hifi settings are too bright for my ears and brain.

RHO

Major Contributor
Seems like I should be getting my RT's on Monday, which is pretty quick. For those using Oratory1990's eq settings, do you prefer his Hifi settigns or the Harman Curve settings? On my Meze's, I definitely prefer the Harman settings. The Hifi settings are too bright for my ears and brain.
I personally prefer Amir's EQ settings to those of Oratory. (for the Aon RT closed)

Migel83

I would listen to it like this before doing anything to it by EQ.
It's already pretty well tuned out of the box.
Furthermore, it needs at least 100 hours of play-in time, better 200 hours. I would also listen to it before playing with the EQ.

The Aeon is already a bit brighter than the Lcd 2.
And actually, everything else would be too bright for me personally.
Furthermore, depending on the Dac you have, you will probably have to play with the filters.
If it is too bright and sharp at the upper end.
You have to use the 2 notsch filter or the thick black one.
If it's too dark, you'll have to replace the standard one with the black foam or even take it out completely.

But this is also a matter of taste.

The first priority is the burn-in.
Funnily enough, that makes a lot of difference with these headphones.

Have fun with the headphones.✌️

TheHighContemplator

I personally prefer Amir's EQ settings to those of Oratory. (for the Aon RT closed)

Interesting. Out of pure excitement, I've already programmed all of the different EQ settings I can find online for them. Cheers for the input.

TheHighContemplator

I would listen to it like this before doing anything to it by EQ... Have fun with the headphones.✌️

I will definitely listen to them out of the box before applying any EQ settings, but in my 15 years in the hobby, almost no speaker or headphone didn't benefit from parametric help. I generally don't buy into burn in, thinking it has more to do with our brain acclimatising to the sound signature over physical changes to the device in question. That being said, a lot of people are consistently describing changes after a significant period of use, so I'll keep my ears open for it.

With regards to the tuning filters, I'll try them all, but I would rather remove all of them and use EQ after reading the reported increase in spatial qualities of the reflections in the housing. There will be a lot of experimenting for sure.

Cheers for the input and well wishes.

RHO

Major Contributor
I generally don't buy into burn in, thinking it has more to do with our brain acclimatising to the sound signature over physical changes to the device in question. That being said, a lot of people are consistently describing changes after a significant period of use, so I'll keep my ears open for it.
Yeah, I never experienced any burn in phenomenon with any headphones ... except the DCA Aeon RT closed.:oops:
It is my first planar magnetic HP so it could be that. It could also be the pads that got a bit softer and so created a better seal. It could be brain-burn-in.
I doubt it's the driver. I've never seen any measurements pointing in that direction. Quite the opposite. And if it was the drivers, these effect should be clearly measurable.
Initially I couldn't hear the bass and mid-bass. They sounded very lean and bright. Over the next few weeks the bass seemed to increase and I started to enjoy the deep extension and mid-bass.Now I think the bass is just great.
Never happened, with any other headphones. Only these.

TheHighContemplator

Yeah, I never experienced any burn in phenomenon with any headphones ... except the DCA Aeon RT closed.:oops:
It is my first planar magnetic HP so it could be that. It could also be the pads that got a bit softer and so created a better seal. It could be brain-burn-in.
I doubt it's the driver. I've never seen any measurements pointing in that direction. Quite the opposite. And if it was the drivers, these effect should be clearly measurable.
Initially I couldn't hear the bass and mid-bass. They sounded very lean and bright. Over the next few weeks the bass seemed to increase and I started to enjoy the deep extension and mid-bass.Now I think the bass is just great.
Never happened, with any other headphones. Only these.

Fascinating! Your hypothesis seems logical. I'll definitely pay attention to this. Kind of makes me sad that I may have to wait for a couple of weeks for things to balance out. I'll try letting them run when I'm not listening to them with bass heavy music to see if that accelerates the process.
Cheers for sharing.

ziddy76

Ordered pair, thanks for the feedback from all here and the measurements and review from Amir.

I'll probably be returning the Elegia after receiving and testing these. Big huge plus for me it seems Dan Clark provides 100% better customer service since it seems Focal CS doesn't exist. And of course, $59 for pad replacement is more reasonable than $150.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered pair, thanks for the feedback from all here and the measurements and review from Amir.

I'll probably be returning the Elegia after receiving and testing these. Big huge plus for me it seems Dan Clark provides 100% better customer service since it seems Focal CS doesn't exist. And of course, $59 for pad replacement is more reasonable than $150.
Nice, well do a comparison of the two after EQ and see which you like the best. (would be interesting to hear your result)

ziddy76

Nice, well do a comparison of the two after EQ and see which you like the best. (would be interesting to hear your result)

Well I'll be returning the Elegia for sure regardless of how they compare, it will just be whether I keep the Aeon or not. I haven't used a closed headphone in a very long time, I have an A990z but to say I have is more akin to it's more display object no one can see somewhere.

I don't think I can give my money to a company that has shown utter disrespect to to their customers.

Last edited:

TheHighContemplator

Received my Drop DCA ARTC yesterday evening and spent at least 4 hours listening to them. I tried them without EQ, with and without the white 1 notch filter, and then I finally applied EQ.

Without EQ and with the white one notch filter, they do sound bright, and I could not listen to them too loud because of it. I didn't even try to listen without the one notch white filter in place with the raw frequency response. Maybe the reports of a two week period of "burn-in" for whatever reason will change that, but for now, EQ is a must. That being said, once I applied Oratory1990's Harman Target EQ settings, all of the subjective reviews and objective measurements made the world of sense. Distortion is so low, I really didn't notice how loud I was listening to them, something I haven't succumbed to since my days in the big speaker arena. These take EQ across the spectrum with ease and never sound distorted. Texture of notes and voices is most immediately apparent across the audible range. I used to feel like I got good texture from my Meze 99 Classics w/ Brainwavz Hybrid pads and Oratory EQ, but the RT's trump the Meze's on that front. Perhaps this has to do with the Plannar vs Dynamic driver differences. Something I'm guessing effects the impulse response on the RT's, which, based on the excellent subjective decay characteristics, is freaking amazing. Notes just start and stop in ways I don't get from my Meze's. I still love my Meze's in their best configuration, and I will still use them for background and casual listening while I write and edit literature, but they are outclassed by the RT's. If 100% is the goal for aural perfection, I'd say the Meze's are around 90% there, while the RT's are 97%. Build and comfort is top grade. Maybe I have a narrow head compared to the average person, but I could use a bit more clamping force. The Dummer cable (3.5mm to 1/4") feels great and I like the spring loaded connectors that attach to the cups. I haven't noticed any annoying microphonics with the provided 6' cable.

I used music from Beethoven, Bach, Gustav Holst, Nils Lofgren, Norah Jones, Santana, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Phil Collins, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, AC/DC, Michael Jackson, and others. My laptop runs Linux Mint, with EQ handled by PulseEffects, and played through DeadBeef. My DAC and amplifier are the Topping E30 and L30 respectively.

These are my EQ settings:
Type Freq. Gain Q-Factor
Filter 1: PK 70 Hz -4.4 dB 0.25
Filter 2: LS 105 Hz 5.5 dB 0.71
Filter 3: PK 152 Hz 5.0 dB 2.0
Filter 4: PK 510 Hz 1.5 dB 1.4
Filter 5: HS 2000 Hz 7.0 dB 0.71
Filter 6: PK 2250 Hz 2.5 dB 3.0
Filter 7: PK 3200 Hz -1.8 dB 5.0
Filter 8: PK 4620 Hz -2.2 dB 5.0
Filter 9: PK 5800 Hz -7.5 dB 3.0
Filter 10: HS 11000 Hz -10.0 dB 0.71
Filter 11: LS 100 Hz 6.0 dB 0.5
Filter 12: HS 7000 Hz -2.0 dB 1.0
Filter 13: HP 20 Hz 0.0 dB 1.0

First thing to note is that I don't listen to music at high SPL levels. In general, if I remove the headphones while music is still playing, you can barely hear it from 30cm away. This is why I boosted the bass with filter 11 to provide a more tactile sensation. I removed the white one notch filter, which opened up the soundstage, and applied Filter 12 to reduce the excess energy. The last filter, the High Pass filter at 20hz, was put in because I was experiencing the negative pressure or vacuuming effect on my ears that @Maes Hughes commented on much earlier in the thread. I gets pretty painful, feeling like you're going too deep in water. That filter, which I kept playing with to find the lowest frequency I could, alleviated the problem completely. I was a swimmer in high school, and would feel the same sensation when I went below 8' in any pool for longer than 10 seconds. Hopefully this helps anyone who feels this pain when using the RT's. There is very little content below 20hz outside of electronic and organ music, so I don't think you're losing much applying my proposed filter.

DCA ARTC EQ Settings.png

With this EQ in place, on a fresh pair or RT's, the sound is addictive. The soundstage is quite large. Much larger than my Meze's and as large as a number of lesser openback designs. The bass is textured and intense, with all the slam I could want, while never mucking up any other part of the spectrum. Mids and highs sound "right". Can't give more praise than that. Even though these cost just over $800 CDN with import duties and taxes, and as they are now fresh, I could not be happier with Dan Clark and Co.'s design. Thank you, @Dan Clark and thank you @amirm for the platform, reviews and the personal recommendation. If this is the last pair of HP's I ever own, I can die a happy man. Sure I'd love to own a pair of your Stealth headphones, but the extra 3% to perfection is only a dream as things stand. Right now, I really don't feel like I'm missing anything, which is a great feeling.

Attachments

• Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed RT.pdf
    427 KB · Views: 84

Resolve

Reviewer
Just ordered the Drop DCA Closed X

At the moment I'm not sure if they're the same as the RT, but here is what I was able to measure with the Closed X:
DCA Aeon X Closed.jpg

I definitely prefer it to the open so far, but the open has smoother treble. For reference, here's the Original Aeon Closed:
DCA Aeon original.jpg

And the Open X:

DCA Aeon Open X.jpg

I think it's also important to keep in mind that the way these pads are designed, they may result in some unit variation.

Top Bottom