• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

GaryH

Major Contributor
From 66 to 97... that is a huge leap.

This is what Amir states in his review:

It has taken us a dozen or so headphone reviews to get us a stellar specimen in the form AEON RT. Tonality is almost good enough without any EQ for those of you who don't have access to EQ. With EQ, it rises another class and delights

So is 66/100 an acceptable preference rating @Robbo99999 or do you think Amir might have gotten a higher measurements with his rig and set up at the time of review without EQ?

A score of 66 barely scrapes into the 'Good' category (65-76) according to Dr Sean Olive's (who developed the scoring algorithm) studies and analysis based on double-blind listener preference. The gushing and raving over this headphone is utterly bizarre - it has a significant lack of pinna gain, resulting in a dark tonal balance (-1.06 slope as calculated by AutoEQ), as well as what seems to be acoustical cancellations in the bass around 150 Hz and treble around 8 kHz looking at the FR and group delay. At $500 this is not a good deal.

The score for this single unit (at just one particular positioning on the measurement rig) was calculated using Olive's algorithm earlier in this thread to be 62.6. With Amir's EQ the score actually decreases :D (not for the first time if I remember correctly). But by an insignificant 0.1 here, although still, effectively the original response will likely be equally preferred by the average listener compared to with this EQ (to be clear this does not mean they will sound the same). The difference to 97 (near the top of the 'Excellent' category according to Olive's research) however is large, and so for the majority of listeners, the science says Oratory's EQ will be significantly more preferred.

Last edited:

John B

Hello,

I made a small tweak to the Oratory EQ calcs. I now prefer these to the 800s after getting used to the more diffuse spatial character of the Aeon RT between the two.

Capture.JPG

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Such a super awesome explanation @Robbo99999 very much appreciate the detail you have gone into.

Thank you so much again!! :)

Huge thumbs up and high fives to the guys for their efforts. Without them us budding audiophiles would not really take EQ serious enough or do it blindly hoping to get the perfect output. With these approaches and measurements we get the best out of our equipment.

I know this has been posted before in this thread (i think) but look at the gain from applying the right EQ:

View attachment 141602

From 66 to 97... that is a huge leap.

This is what Amir states in his review:

It has taken us a dozen or so headphone reviews to get us a stellar specimen in the form AEON RT. Tonality is almost good enough without any EQ for those of you who don't have access to EQ. With EQ, it rises another class and delights

So is 66/100 an acceptable preference rating @Robbo99999 or do you think Amir might have gotten a higher measurements with his rig and set up at the time of review without EQ?
Hey, that's ok, it's fun to understand these things & then explain it to others. You're right about a few of these guys like Oratory & Amir giving us light in the form of proper measurements & EQ that (for most people) bring headphones into another level of quality. I wouldn't obsess too much about the Preference Rating numbers - really after EQ you want it in the 90's but beyond that you probably don't need to pay much attention to it. It's not like a 97 rated headphone is better than a 95 rated headphone....yeah you just want it in the 90's, I remember Oratory saying one time that if it's in the 90's that's all that matters re the score, but for sure in terms of headphones I've bought I've always endeavoured to get headphones with measured frequency responses that can be quite easily & accurately EQ'd to the Harman Curve......so even though I'm not interested in the Preference Rating as a number I like to see my EQ being able to hug the Harman Curve in most places.....it's debateable how important that is for a number of reasons, but I figure it doesn't hurt to be closer to it!

John B

Hello,

I made a small tweak to the Oratory EQ calcs. I now prefer these to the 800s after getting used to the more diffuse spatial character of the Aeon RT between the two.

View attachment 141624
Update on this post. Using the convolution filters recommended to correct to preference curve sounded much more natural than parametric settings above, at least in jriver.

EJH

The Drop headphone is very similar to the RT.

If there‘s interest we can send more units for review.

The AEON 2 Noire is closest to the Harman curve in our line, the open headphones all have more upper bass than the Harman curve, Amir’s reference for tone. But they are all pretty easy to EQ for anyone wanting that exact signature (it’s probably worth noting Olive says 25% of people want more bass than the curve and 25% want more treble). They will all share the low THD.
Sean Olive on AEON 2 Noire: "I like it quite a lot. Maybe the best magnetic planar headphone I've heard to date" https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-dan-clark-aeon2-noire.20329/#post-670849.

A potential customer has a question for Dan (or for anyone who cares to chime in): Excluding VOCE, which DCA headphone does @Dan Clark recommend you reach for when you want to listen to a Beethoven symphony?

RHO

Major Contributor
Anyone have an overlay of the Frequency graph of the Aeon RT closed and the Aeon 2 Noire?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

RHO

Major Contributor
Oh, I didn't know he had a comparison tool! Thanks for that link. Exactly what I was looking for.

John B

Switched to the 5 volt output on the D90SE into the THX789. Its worth experimenting with if you have these devices. This was the missing ingredient to make the oratory filters land perfectly (for my taste) without adding another EQ layer.

Jumbotron

i can only buy "aeon closed" in china, no RT version. is there any difference?
The RT (Re-Tuned) version can only be bought directly from the manufacturer's website (danclarkaudio.com).

I bought mine from there. As I live in Spain (Europe), I had to pay the corresponding import fees.

The Aeon RT Closed are absolutely fantastic by the way, especially after being properly equalized.

Galke6

I'm interested in this headphones, is a step above to a Hifiman Sundaras?
Between the emu teak, this ones are better?
Because I want a closed headphones but I can't decide between this two headphones, I've seen the Emu Teak are great without EQ too

GaryH

Major Contributor
No, the hyperbolic praise bestowed on this headphone is not warranted. See the first part of my earlier post for why.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because I want a closed headphones but I can't decide between this two headphones, I've seen the Emu Teak are great without EQ too
Even the Emu teak?

The Emu Teak doesn't really count as "closed". It has almost no isolation and leaks a lot of sound as well.

Riaz-Ahmed

Hi all

I have shared my thoughts here and here on the DCA AEON RT Closed headphones using the following equipment:

- SMSL SU-9 DAC
- Topping EX5 as HPA and DAC
- IFI Zen CAN as HPA
- Bluesound Node 2i as DAC

Hope this is useful for someone.

Cheers!

ErenAU

Okay so went out of my way to register to this forum to share my experiences with these bizarrely highly rated headphones, just like one of the previous commentors here said.

Spending this very late night writing this review, so others don’t do the same mistake.

TL;DR: I can’t wrap my head around paying $500 for these headphones. Value is a complicated conversation but from the points below you will see what i mean. I unfortunately did spend that money and contemplating returning them. Just a lot of effort as i ordered overseas. Don’t get me wrong they are good but nowhere near as good as the measurements would suggest. I have DT770s (250ohms) and with a simple highpass shelf to take the edge off the highs (or few Specific EQ tweaks), DT770 Pro’s sound same Or even better than DCA’s through my Zen DAC V2’s. That’s a $150 rrp headphone….

I am a mechanical engineer, so very well know the value of measurements in context of evaluating things, especially to make things objective. However, I believe problem here is we just don’t have all values quantified. Freq response, THD, Phase response etc. sounds like don’t cover the whole listening experience. I unfortunately don’t know about audio enough to point what’s missing obviously but here to say my experience does not match what Amir is suggesting here.

Let me also give you some references so you know my start point and you can try to gauge yourself to it. Natural sounding - to me- is my JBL LSR305 speaker in an untreated, mid sized room. I know it’s not a good reference point, it’s not a studio environment, but thats what i have. Unless you were sitting next to the mixing engineer when the music you are listening to was being mixed, or you own a unechoic chamber with some perfectly flat speakers or a perfectly treated room with room compansated speakers, i am here to tell you your reference point isn‘t perfectly flat either. Outside of my studio monitors I have as
main gear:
HD6XX, 58X, X2HR, Hifiman HE-X4, DT770 Pro, iFi Zen Dac V2
and the others category:
Creative Aurvana Live, HD280, Bose QC25, XM4’s, AirPods Pro, PowerBeats Pro, Shure Se-215, Koss portapro.

With all that context here are my thoughts:

First listen, they are not bad. Nothing vowed me, they were… alright. Nothing special. I did hear a lot about `lifeless` sound of these so i was expecting a worse sound i guess so i was a bit relieved. But that’s hardly good, basically happy they weren’t terrible lol.

So i started playing around with EQ to get them to be flat to Harman curve. Well since the measurements come so close, there really isn’t that much to EQ but i could not get them to work with EQ’s i tried doing myself. Then came here to use Amir’s settings. They did marginally help make a difference, but honestly hard to tell and can’t even tell you if it was for the better either. After a while i sorta started hearing what people meant by lifeless. (Not as bad as they make it sound to be, if i dind’t have other gear around, i would not call them lifeless by any stretch.) My best guess was somehow missing base - another context i do EQ all my headphones to Harman curve, and generally happy with how they sound that way. However these still felt like they were missing bass?? Even tho they are tuned to the same target? Not sure how that’s possible…

Anyway long story short adding a high bass-low mid lift between 25hz and 650hz of 3-4db did bring `life` back to these. And the iFi’s TrueBass just makes them fun. Luckly they take EQ well, i suspect due to low distortion.

But so here is the problem: these don’t sound right without these seemingly non-Harman EQ’s to my ears, with all the reference points i have above, most of which are Harman tuned. Hence the reason i say measurement don’t sound like they really reflect how these cans sound… Once those extra adjustments are there, i could call them really good. But again these are $500 cans (down from $800???), and DCA’s with EQ barely match DT770 Pro’s($150) also with EQ?

Here are quick comparisons for people who have these other cans:

DT770: closest to DCA’s, with a high freq shelf to take DT770s edge down a 3-4dB. (And 7dB peak at 3,5kHz + 3dB at 5,5kHz, and a -10dB dip at 9kHz) Bass is very close between the two, mids sound better on Beyers with no adjustments needed.

HD6XX: No EQ hands down 6XX wins, just sounds… more organic? realistic? more like the JBL monitors? with a tiny bit of a bass shelf for 6XXs (to 50Hz), no contest overall 6XX sound much better. But closed back vs open back so there is that.

58X: same as 6XX Tonality wise.

X2HR: no EQ, I’d take DCA Aeon’s, if many wasn’t a thing… They are just better on low mids and highs. But again, not saying much X2HRs are like $150. Not sure if i got a lucky and got a pair with super low distortion, but once i EQ X2HR’s to Harman curve from Rtings measurements, boy they are head and shoulders better than DCA’s, on par with 6XX if not better.

Hifiman HE-X4: these are pretty much only good for light jazz and classical without EQ. Almost as good as DCA’s with EQ but very genre dependent. However these headphones take EQ like nothing i ever heard and the bass SLAM is another level. (Yes i did demo Audeze LCD 2 and X’s) Not sure how but DCA’s, even though they have the same tech, and approx same size driver, they just can’t punch that hard even with a bit bass shelf. Mids/highs are a wash… with a $130 headphone lol.

For the over all value for the money conversation, that’s a bit hard as to some this is chump change, to some it’s not much but they don’t value audio to spend as much and to some they value the hobby but they just are limited from their income and this is their yearly splurge. So my advice is to hear them if you can. And if you can’t, just avoid these and buy something you CAN demo before buying.

So there you are. Obviously everything i said is subjective, but that sorta the point. I really don’t think subjective data used in measuring headphones today isn’t enough to describe and quantify the sound we hear and the way our brain process‘ the sounds we receive.

I wanted to hear these because they were on Tyles’ wall. I followed him when he was first stating out on Youtube and he was THE ONE. Mainly because he measured headphones. So i suspect both Tyle and Amir might have some bias from measurements? Maybe not. These are my opinions…

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
Well, I do own the Beyerdynamic DT770 (250Ohm) too and I can't agree with you on the sound in any way. They do not sound anything like the DCA Aeon RT. Specifically in the mids, the Aeons are way better. Much more neutral and balanced with the bass and treble. On the Beyers the mids sound muffles and too for back.
The HD6XX sound completely different from the DCA. The HD6XX sound warmer with more mid-bass and less sub-bass. Treble on the DCA is better in my opinion. Overall they are equally good, just very different.
The build on the DCA is way better than both the DT770 and HD6XX. It's much more a luxurious.

someguyontheinternet

So i suspect both Tyle and Amir might have some bias from measurements? Maybe not. These are my opinions…

Mostly subjective opinion:

I don't consider myself to have a strong bias in regards to subjective enjoyment when it comes to measurements. One of the headphones I like the most are the Meze 99 Classics which measure terribly. Would I objectively recommend that headphone to people looking for fidelity? Probably not, but some people just subjectively like the absolutely overdone basstilt for the music they listen to.

I would personally consider the Aeon RT an upgrade over the HD650/6XX.

But then I also find the iFi Zen DAC to sound off/weird. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it is, but I much prefer the Magni/Modi stack I used to use and the RME ADI2-DAC I use now. Maybe it's just my imagination or psychoacoutics from knowing that I get noise on high sensitivity headphones with the Zen DAC.

Top Bottom