• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone ever measured the effect of the different inserts?
I assume all measurements we see online are without any inserts. Is that correct?
I can't recall all measurements but I'm sure I've seen some stating which insert was in place

Blake

Has anyone ever measured the effect of the different inserts?
I assume all measurements we see online are without any inserts. Is that correct?

I'd like to know this, too. I often use mine (without inserts) with a variation on the Oratory EQ. I say "variation" because otherwise I think it sounds a bit bright. I lower the 2 KHz shelf filter to +4 dB (instead of Oratory's +7 dB). That could just be my tastes, though.

Daaadou

I ordered a pair of these yesterday.
The review is quite appealing!
I own a focal clear already, I dig them but they're open and I'd like to be able to go in stealth mode sometimes. And I'm quite excited to get my hands on some planar magnetic HP!
While not wanting to break the bank since I already own a decent pair of headphone, a good review and a sub 500€ price got me sold for this one.
I intent to drive it with my NX4 DSD, the same I use for the clear, I have read other people asking if the NX4 could handle the Aeon RT but have not read their feedback.
I'd like to know what you guys think about that.

RHO

Major Contributor
I ordered a pair of these yesterday.
The review is quite appealing!
I own a focal clear already, I dig them but they're open and I'd like to be able to go in stealth mode sometimes. And I'm quite excited to get my hands on some planar magnetic HP!
While not wanting to break the bank since I already own a decent pair of headphone, a good review and a sub 500€ price got me sold for this one.
I intent to drive it with my NX4 DSD, the same I use for the clear, I have read other people asking if the NX4 could handle the Aeon RT but have not read their feedback.
I'd like to know what you guys think about that.
Looking at the review I think you will have very limited headroom if any, using the NX4 DSD. Output voltage drops from 4.2V@300Ohm to 2.2V@33Ohm before clipping. With the very low impedance of the Aeon RT it could well drop even further than 2.2V and the Aeon RT is not an efficient headphone. You need 677mV to reach 94dBspl (@425Hz?). I think the NX4 DSD will struggle with some bass heavy tracks.

ririt

Thanks to a business trip in San Diego, I have been able to directly pick an Aeon RT up at the Dan Clark facility (Major savings avoiding shipping cost and VAT :p ). I am currently listening it in the San Diego Airport lounge waiting for my returning flight to France. As expected the sound quality is great when powered by a Qudelix 5k (balanced mode) and EQed using the Oratory profile.
Thanks ASR to allow me to discover all these devices which bring my music enjoyment to another level!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to a business trip in San Diego, I have been able to directly pick an Aeon RT up at the Dan Clark facility (Major savings avoiding shipping cost and VAT :p ). I am currently listening it in the San Diego Airport lounge waiting for my returning flight to France. As expected the sound quality is great when powered by a Qudelix 5k (balanced mode) and EQed using the Oratory profile.
Thanks ASR to allow me to discover all these devices which bring my music enjoyment to another level!
It's good to be you man, win win adventure!

Were you able to get a tour or shown around or something?

ririt

It's good to be you man, win win adventure!

Were you able to get a tour or shown around or something?
Yes it was! Unfortunately my agenda was tight and did not give me the time to ask for a tour.
Robbo99999, I introduced in my Qudelix the EQ set-up you established for the Drop Aeon version. It sounds pretty well. I did some quick comparison with the one provided either by Amir or by Oratory 1990. I slightly prefer either your version or the one of Amir. Based on the measurements done with the different versions of the Aeon headphones, can you please provide me with additional guidelines to further optimize it for the Aeon? Thanks in advance

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it was! Unfortunately my agenda was tight and did not give me the time to ask for a tour.
Robbo99999, I introduced in my Qudelix the EQ set-up you established for the Drop Aeon version. It sounds pretty well. I did some quick comparison with the one provided either by Amir or by Oratory 1990. I slightly prefer either your version or the one of Amir. Based on the measurements done with the different versions of the Aeon headphones, can you please provide me with additional guidelines to further optimize it for the Aeon? Thanks in advance
The thing is though, the DCA Closed X (which you're referring re my EQ) and the Aeon RT are two different headphones by all accounts, so reason would suggest that the EQ I did should not really be the best one for you to try with your Aeon RT, so I can't really advise you how to tweak that EQ as it really shouldn't be used for your headphone. But if you do continue to use it then you'd tweak the bass level using the 105Hz Low Shelf Filter and that would be your main tweak. Some people, including some of the people that work for DCA have said the Drop version is supposed to be the same as the Aeon RT, but measurements seem to suggest it is a different headphone.....if it really does sound better with my EQ that was made for the Drop version, then by all means keep using it. Based on my overall experience with headphones & EQ then I'd say that the Oratory version was probably your best bet for the most "accurate" sound as he often measures more than one unit and his process is really quite solid - and besides that would actually be the EQ that fits your headphone rather than using my EQ that was done for a supposedly slightly different headphone (pads are thought to be different).

Last edited:

ririt

The thing is though, the DCA Closed X (which you're referring re my EQ) and the Aeon RT are two different headphones by all accounts, so reason would suggest that the EQ I did should not really be the best one for you to try with your Aeon RT, so I can't really advise you how to tweak that EQ as it really shouldn't be used for your headphone. But if you do continue to use it then you'd tweak the bass level using the 105Hz Low Shelf Filter and that would be your main tweak. Some people, including some of the people that work for DCA have said the Drop version is supposed to be the same as the Aeon RT, but measurements seem to suggest it is a different headphone.....if it really does sound better with my EQ that was made for the Drop version, then by all means keep using it. Based on my overall experience with headphones & EQ then I'd say that the Oratory version was probably your best bet for the most "accurate" sound as he often measures more than one unit and his process is really quite solid - and besides that would actually be the EQ that fits your headphone rather than using my EQ that was done for a supposedly slightly different headphone (pads are thought to be different).
Thanks for your feedback. I spent some time yesterday following your advice. I started again from the Oratory version, tuning it by progressively tweaking the 105Hz. I ended up with a slighly increased the gain (1.5 dB) I should be like Amir, I like bass!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your feedback. I spent some time yesterday following your advice. I started again from the Oratory version, tuning it by progressively tweaking the 105Hz. I ended up with a slighly increased the gain (1.5 dB) I should be like Amir, I like bass!
Cool, I think you've taken the best approach there.

Xenio

So is there a comparison between the open and closed version ?

I currently have a HD 600 / 650 btw

I'm currently torn between the HD 800 and Aeon RT open (I can EQ the HD 800).
The Dan Clark is just plain better objectively HOWEVER everyone agrees that the HD800 has "something" to it, like the way the drivers are angled, their size etc that produces a good "soundstage". This is very appealing, especially knowing that I'm a huge gamer. Also I'm pretty sure they will be more comfortable (and this is REALLY important to me).
Finally I think it will be easy to test the HD 800 where I live while the Aeon RT will be harder to find

Price is not (really) a problem, I plan to find the HD 800 used anyway if I take them.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The Dan Clark is just plain better objectively HOWEVER everyone agrees that the HD800 has "something" to it, like the way the drivers are angled, their size etc that produces a good "soundstage". This is very appealing, especially knowing that I'm a huge gamer. Also I'm pretty sure they will be more comfortable (and this is REALLY important to me).
Finally I think it will be easy to test the HD 800 where I live while the Aeon RT will be harder to find

Price is not (really) a problem, I plan to find the HD 800 used anyway if I take them.

I have the HD 800 and the Aeon RT open. The HD800 is a superior headphone to my ears - its definitely more comfortable and after EQ sounds great with the spatial effects it brings.

The Aeon are comfy but that little bit too small for my ears , sound is fine before and after EQ but its a very limited staging. I am happy with both but the HD800 is the one I would rescue from a fire.

The Aeon is probably a better listen without EQ, certainly better bass.

EDIT- for clarity, I have the HD800 (non S revision) but would agree with @solderdude, a second hand EQd 800 will be sufficiently similar to a new 800S to make it a no brainer financially. A used 800S will likely be a few $00 more than a used 800 as well.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

HD800s is probably gonna be better for you if you're a gamer due to the soundstage. Don't forget the "s", so the HD800s and not the HD800.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

For gaming the HD800 is fine and often found cheaper than the 800S.
The extra 6kHz the HD800 has over the HD800S is actually good for gaming as it emphasizes spatial clues.
For music enjoyment I would also advice HD800 over the HD800S as with proper EQ they sound the same.

Xenio

I was more looking at a comparison between HD800 and the Dan Clark but thanks anyway

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD800 is leaner in the bass, sharper in the treble, wider sound stage, pads are large in diameter and most find it comfy.
DCA Closed has deeper lows and no treble peak. Both have somewhat lower 2-4kHz range. Pads are small and fit snug around the ears. Not everyone is charmed by these pads.
Without EQ DCA AEON closed is the best choice perhaps, with EQ the HD800(S) are the better one(s)
AEON Closed with EQ is also very good.
AEON open has kind of a midbass hump, a bit like the HD650 hump. Can be EQ'ed also.

Xenio

Okay

And the distorsion in both case is inaudible ? I still don't know at what values THD / SINAD etc become inaudible
From what I saw Solderdude you have a HD 800 as your main headphone right ?

Also thanks @Robbo99999 I didn't see your answer, yeah gaming is important.

I'll look for a used HD 800(S or no); I'll EQ them anyway

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay

And the distorsion in both case is inaudible ? I still don't know at what values THD / SINAD etc become inaudible
From what I saw Solderdude you have a HD 800 as your main headphone right ?

Also thanks @Robbo99999 I didn't see your answer, yeah gaming is important.

I'll look for a used HD 800(S or no); I'll EQ them anyway
When I replied earlier about making sure you got an "s", I had incorrectly thought the HD800 was closed back and the HD800s was open backed, but now I know they're both open back and it's the HD820 that's closed back - so yeah you'll be good with either the HD800 or HD800s & with some EQ. If you don't want to spend that much money for a good gaming headphone, then consider getting the HD560s, it's my favourite headphone for gaming due to it's soundstage (along with my K702, but I won't recommend that one as it has too many issues).
HD560s Owners Thread & measurement post: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...heiser-hd560s-owners-thread.27208/post-973901

Xenio

Well as I said I already have some HD 600, 650 (for my Gf this one) and akg Q701

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well as I said I already have some HD 600, 650 (for my Gf this one) and akg Q701
I was recommending the HD560s, it's really quite a different headphone to the HD600/650 - HD600 is my worst gaming headphone & HD560s is my best gaming headphone - soundstage related. I'm helping to derail this thread, I shouldn't post anymore non-related stuff to DCA Aeon RT.

Top Bottom