• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DALI Oberon Vokal Center Speaker Review

Rate this center speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 52 32.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
I’m sure I am not the only one who has noticed the trend of recommending speakers and headphones but only with EQ. I think this is a bit misleading because probably most people don’t use EQ.
The majority of people on ASR uses EQ:

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can this speaker do a better job with an EQ?

Score is 3.2 which is not too bad for a small MTM. With an EQ it goes up to 5.7.
If you add a large subwoofer, the score would be 5.8 and with both EQ and Sub 7.7

The EQ is adding some bass and trying to flatten the PIR as expected.

filters_eq.jpg

Code:
EQ for Dali Oberon Vokal computed from ASR data
Preference Score 3.18 with EQ 5.73
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.26
Dated: 2023-12-21-13:06:31

Preamp: -3.0 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc    51 Hz Gain +3.00 dB Q 0.57
Filter  2: ON PK Fc   579 Hz Gain +2.98 dB Q 2.85
Filter  3: ON PK Fc   739 Hz Gain -1.70 dB Q 2.96
Filter  4: ON PK Fc  2862 Hz Gain +2.95 dB Q 2.99
Filter  5: ON PK Fc  3650 Hz Gain +1.79 dB Q 2.46
Filter  6: ON PK Fc  6818 Hz Gain -3.18 dB Q 0.33
Filter  7: ON PK Fc 12301 Hz Gain +1.86 dB Q 2.64

Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AaronJ

The majority of people on ASR uses EQ:
The majority of people who responded to that poll use EQ but I sincerely doubt it applies to the majority of all people who visit ASR.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I found 21 passive center channel speakers that were announced in 2023. Link to my thread.

Most of those are MTM centers, which just goes to show what speaker manufacturers are making these days! :facepalm:

Of those, the center channels that are not MTM, of most interest are:

ManufacturerModelPrice USDDesignTypeWoofer SizeMidrange SizeMfg
KefR2 Meta1.4k/each3-way
coaxial
centerDual 5.25"5"Link
KefR6 Meta2k/each3-way
coaxial
centerDual 6.5"5"Link
PhilharmonicHT Center1.2k/each3-way
center
Dual 6.5"4"Link

Excluding overpriced 3-ways...

I would like to see any of these centers measured! :D
You can include the Perlisten centers, both R and S. They are not MTM (strictly speaking at least) either.

I found 21 passive center channel speakers that were announced in 2023. Link to my thread.

Most of those are MTM centers, which just goes to show what speaker manufacturers are making these days! :facepalm:

KefR2 Meta1.4k/each3-way
coaxial
centerDual 5.25"5"Link
KefR6 Meta2k/each3-way
coaxial
centerDual 6.5"5"Link
center
Dual 6.5"4"Link

Martin Logan uses an MTM with their new MotionXT C100, but it’s interesting in that it’s a 2.5 way design to avoid comb filtering, I’d be interested in seeing how that works out in measurements.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
There is an active version of this speaker. It would be quite cool to compare to the passive version to see what has been changed.

AVKS

I’m sure I am not the only one who has noticed the trend of recommending speakers and headphones but only with EQ. I think this is a bit misleading because probably most people don’t use EQ. Perhaps it might be better to not recommend a product based on the measurements, but summarize that it took well to EQ? People can then look back to the review for the specifics.

Such recommendations have been made for many years, and the natural corollary of the caveat is that it is not recommended without EQ. Not sure where the issue lies.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The majority of people who responded to that poll use EQ but I sincerely doubt it applies to the majority of all people who visit ASR.
I therefore hope part of the education the "majority" people learn here at ASR is to learn how to apply EQ (and tone control). More importantly, IMHO, is to encourage gear manufacturers to put the functionality into their devices, like what Wiim is doing.

dzerig

I debated not doing it but ultimately sitting on-axis from this speaker, it really sounds good with that bit of EQ.
Well I was impressed the review allowed subjective impressions to weigh in. I find subjective impressions very useful so long as the reviewer is consistent in their biases.

Dalprad

Thanks to the sender member and Amir.
I am surprised to see good results from inexpensive model range. It is lowest model in range, if I remember correctly.
Can we extrapolate these results to Oberon bookshelves and floorstanding ones?
I have the Oberon 1 bookshelves and they are a bit bright. I like the intelligibility of lyrics and vocals that comes along with that, but on some music it's a little much. Overall I like them. I also own the Revel M 106, which are NOT bright, but have a very nice sound across the whole frequency range.

rynberg

Forum Donor

KefR2 Meta1.4k/each3-way
coaxial
centerDual 5.25"5"Link
KefR6 Meta2k/each3-way
coaxial
centerDual 6.5"5"Link
center
Dual 6.5"4"Link

Erin has measured the R2c (not Meta)...it's a bit meh. https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r2c/

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Erin has measured the R2c (not Meta)...it's a bit meh. https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r2c/
Let’s compare the Kef vs Dali then:

Dali Oberon Vokal:
  • Directivity
    • Horizontal directivity is (-20.0°, 20.0°) between 1kHz and 10kHz. Angle computed for +/-6dB.
    • Vertical directivity is (-40.0°, 50.0°) between 1kHz and 10kHz. Angle computed for +/-6dB.
Kef R2C:
  • Directivity
    • Horizontal directivity is (-50.0°, 50.0°) between 1kHz and 10kHz. Angle computed for +/-6dB.
    • Vertical directivity is (-50.0°, 50.0°) between 1kHz and 10kHz. Angle computed for +/-6dB.

Which is better for a center channel?
Ignoring price of course.

Brab

I believe centre speakers are primarily for dialogue. Would the treble brightness you refer to aid speech intelligibility and be deliberate?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I believe centre speakers are primarily for dialogue. Would the treble brightness you refer to aid speech intelligibility and be deliberate?
Not for home theater. The center anchors the sound to the screen so gets everything pushed into it including effects. As such, it needs to be even more capable than left and right.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just can't really get by the fact that MTM creates such poor horizontal directivity. I think other types of speaker would be better suited to a centre channel.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice! I've got a bug to buy a set of Dali Oberon 9 because I'm a sucker for big floor standers, so can somebody send Amir a set to measure?:D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just can't really get by the fact that MTM creates such poor horizontal directivity. I think other types of speaker would be better suited to a centre channel.
Needs to be three-way which raises costs in this category that is very cost sensitive.

Top Bottom