• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: do you use EQ/DSP, and if so what kind of system is it used on.

Do you use EQ or DSP in your system.

• Yes

Votes: 120 85.1%
  • No

Votes: 21 14.9%

• Total voters

billyjoebob

This is a question generated from another thread on this forum, and on that thread, it was implied that the majority of users here implement some type of equalization in their systems.
For me the answer is no.
It has been years since I moved off a desktop system foobar & EQ, to an AVR (audyssey), then to a traditional component system.
For me, I prefer the audio when I dont mess with it and let it play as it should.
It also appears that this may be my frustration with some things that are said on this site regarding "tailoring" the sound to ones specific desire.
Example. Stay away from vinyl, stream your music and add the distortion with your EQ. Or
Tube amps suck. Get a class D amp and add the distortion with EQ.

Neither of these statements make any sense to me.
Sorry, just my .02c

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Most of us don't use or advocate EQ for "tailoring" the sound. We use it to try and help minimize damage caused by our rooms/or issues with our speakers. Myself, I just do basic measurements using pink noise and make adjustments with mathaudio in Foobar. As far as I'm concerned, it's the folks using vinyl, tube amps, etc that are tailoring their sound. We aren't "adding distortion" (in fact, we're trying to further minimize distortions.) When we suggest using EQ to tailor one's sound (if that's what they want to do for whatever reason) we mean that that's a way that at least gives them some sort of control over the tailoring rather than having it "hard-wired" into their system and then un-ambiguously applied to every single piece of music they play through that system whether or not that "tailoring" is in any way desirable for that music.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of us don't use or advocate EQ for "tailoring" the sound. We use it to try and help minimize damage caused by our rooms. Myself, I just do basic measurements using pink noise and make adjustments with mathaudio in Foobar. As far as I'm concerned, it's the folks using vinyl, tube amps, etc that are tailoring their sound. We aren't "adding distortion." When we suggest using EQ to tailor one's sound (if that's what they want to do for whatever reason) we mean that that's a way that at least gives them some sort of control over the tailoring rather than having it "hard-wired" into their system and then un-ambiguously applied to every single piece of music they play through that system whether or not that "tailoring" is in any way desirable for that music.

Pretty much this I agree that this way is the most correct way of maximizing audio reproduction to ensure that the sound is closest to the source file.

Example. Stay away from vinyl, stream your music and add the distortion with your EQ. Or

That is incorrect where EQ adds distortion unless you boosted more than 0 dBFS and induce clipping. The tube amp sucks statement is IMO because the goal is to reproduce the sound closest to the original source file when tube amps inherently add some distortion to the signal. Subjectively for some people, it's more like IDGAF and would rather hear the "hard-wired" sound trait of the system on that specific room rather than minimal distortion with digital EQ to correct the dips and peaks measured in the room.

In my case, I listen less than 2 feet away from my HS7's tweeter so I don't use EQ whatsoever to correct for room reflections. Also, I subjectively like some tube distortion to it as I've grown accustomed to its sound characteristics growing up. I still like to spin CDs and stream solely for music discovery.

capture2.JPG

OP
B

billyjoebob

Most of us don't use or advocate EQ for "tailoring" the sound. We use it to try and help minimize damage caused by our rooms/or issues with our speakers. Myself, I just do basic measurements using pink noise and make adjustments with mathaudio in Foobar. As far as I'm concerned, it's the folks using vinyl, tube amps, etc that are tailoring their sound. We aren't "adding distortion." When we suggest using EQ to tailor one's sound (if that's what they want to do for whatever reason) we mean that that's a way that at least gives them some sort of control over the tailoring rather than having it "hard-wired" into their system and then un-ambiguously applied to every single piece of music they play through that system whether or not that "tailoring" is in any way desirable for that music.
I have no tube equipment, so I have nothing to say about that camp.
But how, how can the simple use of vinyl claim to be tailoring the sound.
That makes absolutely no sense as vinyl is a format.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Currently I don’t use EQ but not because I think I’m better off without. On the contrary. My next audio upgrade will 100% certainly involve EQ/DSP.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I have no tube equipment, so I have nothing to say about that camp.
But how, how can the simple use of vinyl claim to be tailoring the sound.

Vinyl has some pretty specific characteristics that are implicit in the physical nature of the medium that are not contained within the recording itself.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah but the printing process is lossy. and the playback process is also lossy.

It's like trying to copy an analogue photo with a copy machine, it will never look as good as the original.

OP
B

billyjoebob

That is incorrect where EQ adds distortion unless you boosted more than 0 dBFS and induce clipping. The tube amp sucks statement is IMO because the goal is to reproduce the sound closest to the original source file when tube amps inherently add some distortion to the signal. Subjectively for some people, it's more like IDGAF and would rather hear the "hard-wired" sound trait of the system on that specific room rather than minimal distortion with digital EQ to correct the dips and peaks measured in the room.

In my case, I listen less than 2 feet away from my HS7's tweeter so I don't use EQ whatsoever to correct for room reflections. Also, I subjectively like some tube distortion to it as I've grown accustomed to its sound characteristics growing up. I still like to spin CDs and stream solely for music discovery.
Not trying to beat you up, but in the 1st paragraph you you state that I am incorrect, and in the 2nd paragraph state that you do the very thing.

F

freemansteve

No - I never use it.
I try to ensure my speakers suit the room.
The problem is, I have tons of music, and some tracks need more/less bass and some need more/less treble or other room-relevant adjustments.
So, I go for a happy medium, and listen contentedly rather than fiddle all the time - those people are more interested in listening to the HiFi than listening to the music!

I do however have a support request/ improvent idea out with Cambridge Audio for my modest Mid-Fi Evo 75, which is to allow tone control preferences to be set and "pinned" for each of - headphones or speaker outputs. Not hard to follow what I'm asking for. This is because all headphones I've tried (dozens), except IEMs, are always too bright. I blame Harman - it's just wrong!

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I EQ my headphones. I don't see any downsides.

Haven't had a speaker setup in a while, but if I ever get around to getting a setup again, I'll probably do some EQ'ing below Schroeder in case I get some bothersome room modes that can't be dealt with in other ways.

I've often said that I don't understand why you would do vinyl or tubes just for the effects that can be emulated with DSP. Seems cumbersome to me.

By that I mean that if you proclaim that those are the factors that make vinyl and tubes worthwhile, I don't believe you're being honest with yourself.

But I've never told people to stay away from vinyl and tubes. You can't emulate the feeling of dropping the needle or the look of glowing tubes using DSP. When I point out the things that most likely can be done just as well in the "filthy" digital domain, it's just to make it clear that if something feels magical and unique, it doesn't necessary mean that it is so. It shouldn't stop you from enjoying those things though.

Last edited:

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
No - I never use it.
I try to ensure my speakers suit the room.
The problem is, I have tons of music, and some tracks need more/less bass and some need more/less treble or other room-relevant adjustments.
So, I go for a happy medium, and listen contentedly rather than fiddle all the time - those people are more interested in listening to the HiFi than listening to the music!

I do however have a support request/ improvent idea out with Cambridge Audio for my modest Mid-Fi Evo 75, which is to allow tone control preferences to be set and "pinned" for each of - headphones or speaker outputs. Not hard to follow what I'm asking for. This is because all headphones I've tried (dozens), except IEMs, are always too bright. I blame Harman - it's just wrong!

I'm sorry, but you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how most of us use EQ. We aren't "fiddling all the time." We set it and forget it. Once it's done, you no longer fiddle at all. No adjusting bass for different tracks. You say yourself you "settle for a happy medium." Well, we settle for a happy place that is based on eliminating as many issues as possible and then enjoying our music.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Headphone/ IEM user exclusively so yes, definitely DSP is needed.

EAPO on my desktop rig via PC

Toneboosters plugin for UAPP on Android for mobile/ IEM.

Usually something near to but not quite Harman target (lower bass than Harman, avoid some of the larger peak/ dip adjustments for more wayward HP/ IEM.

OP
B

billyjoebob

Just to clarify.
I am not suggesting that there is anything inherently wrong with DSP.
I think it is a fantastic tool to help room corrections.
My issue here is tailoring the sound with it.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Don't agree in the slightest!
Both my vinyl and CD playback are quite fantastic.
They are far more alike than different.

You can disagree all you want, but there is no possible way you can deny that there are physical limitations wrt vinyl. It's baked into the medium for goodness sakes. That doesn't mean vinyl can't sound quite fantastic.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Most of us don't use or advocate EQ for "tailoring" the sound. We use it to try and help minimize damage caused by our rooms/or issues with our speakers. Myself, I just do basic measurements using pink noise and make adjustments with mathaudio in Foobar. As far as I'm concerned, it's the folks using vinyl, tube amps, etc that are tailoring their sound. We aren't "adding distortion" (in fact, we're trying to further minimize distortions.) When we suggest using EQ to tailor one's sound (if that's what they want to do for whatever reason) we mean that that's a way that at least gives them some sort of control over the tailoring rather than having it "hard-wired" into their system and then un-ambiguously applied to every single piece of music they play through that system whether or not that "tailoring" is in any way desirable for that music.
Well, i got a tube amp, a set of class A monoblocks, a class D amp of high quality and a class AB amp, and i still prefer the tube and class A over the class D that is clean. But that is personal preference. If you like it otherwise, you should not bother tubes or class A. And that freedom should exist. What bothers me sometimes on this site is that some don't want that freedom and want to push their taste to everyone. But that botheration is minimal (and i ignore it largely). And i'm more bothered by the subjective and snake oil reviews on most other sites that don't tell what the device actually does, it just tell who paid the most money to the reviewers...

Reactions: ftv

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
You may want to use EQ to compensate for hearing loss especially for higher frequencies. When I do use it this is what I try to achieve - with mixed results.

F

freemansteve

I'm sorry, but you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how most of us use EQ. We aren't "fiddling all the time." We set it and forget it. Once it's done, you no longer fiddle at all. No adjusting bass for different tracks. You say yourself you "settle for a happy medium." Well, we settle for a happy place that is based on eliminating as many issues as possible and then enjoying our music.

I'm being patronized again.
Let's reverse it.
You need a better sounding system! Probably down to nasty speakers!
If you have room issues, then I get the need for detailed EQ with DSPs etc.... But that is more involved that just some EQ...

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Well, i got a tube amp, a set of class A monoblocks, a class D amp of high quality and a class AB amp, and i still prefer the tube and class A over the class D that is clean. But that is personal preference. If you like it otherwise, you should not bother tubes or class A. And that freedom should exist. What bothers me sometimes on this site is that some don't want that freedom and want to push their taste to everyone. But that botheration is minimal (and i ignore it largely). And i'm more bothered by the subjective and snake oil reviews on most other sites that don't tell what the device actually does, it just tell who paid the most money to the reviewers...
Nobody is telling you not to use tube amps. Nobody is telling you not to prefer tube amps.

Top Bottom