• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DACs that better compensate for noise

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I did test them, not measure them. I just looked at the measurments on this site.

I expected the one that was smoother and that had better timbre, to be harsher in the treble and worse in timbre. That's what I was expecting.

Yet I got the exact opposite when I tested them. So obviously, as logic would tell, I didn't have any positive expectation for the cheaper DAC/amp.

So we can totally leave expectation-bias out of here.

Nope, we are going nowhere here. Look up double blind level matched testing. Look up expectation bias .

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I expected the one that was smoother and that had better timbre, to be harsher in the treble and worse in timbre. That's what I was expecting.
Yet I got the exact opposite when I tested them. So obviously, as logic would tell, I didn't have any positive expectation for the cheaper DAC/amp.

images (25).jpeg

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Too many clowns, not enough wisdom....just closed minded groupies that think they have all the answers. Pathetic.
To think they can put what God has created in a "bottle".

Let God know that there's something wrong with the DACs he designed: they apparently need better noise compensation. He'll know what to do.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I did test them, not measure them. I just looked at the measurments on this site.

This is not how expectation bias works. It's a subconscious process and cannot be controlled by yourself. Pity but this is how our brains are wired - all of them without exception.

100rounddrum

This is not how expectation bias works. It's a subconscious process and cannot be controlled by yourself. Pity but this is how our brains are wired - all of them without exception.
To clarify; the unit I thought was worse, I thought was worse in EVERY WAY based on outer appearance AND features.

It was a lot lighter physically, it only had one 3.5mm headphone jack opposed to the 2 headphone jacks on the Microstreamer. It felt cheaper in the hand than the Microstreamer.

It was cheaper in cash, cheaper in EVERYTHING, before I tested it. I thought the Microstreamer would be superior in EVERY WAY of the word.

Yet listening proved differently. How hard can that be to understand?

100rounddrum

I even level tested them through a 1khz tone. Granted, the Microstreamer was superior in separation of the sounds and did have more focused imaging, but the cheaper unit had a better timbre and smoother treble.

How could this be possible?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I even level tested them through a 1khz tone. Granted, the Microstreamer was superior in separation of the sounds and did have more focused imaging, but the cheaper unit had a better timbre and smoother treble.

How could this be possible?

Must be the jitter

100rounddrum

The more scientific question would be: where in the graphs can you make out the smoother treble and more natural texture of 1 DAC vs another?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The more scientific question would be: where in the graphs can you make out the smoother treble and more natural texture of 1 DAC vs another?

No, the better question is why do you believe there was smoother treble and better texture.

OP
W

wineandmusic

Let God know that there's something wrong with the DACs he designed: they apparently need better noise compensation. He'll know what to do.
I am talking about the general attitude here, not the "debatable" noise matters. Even though someone conceded that testing of dacs should include how well it compensates for isolation. And I believe upsampling is debatable as well if it is capable of making the analog output "more accurate" and allow for more processing outside of the audible range.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am talking about the general attitude here, not the "debatable" noise matters. Even though someone conceded that testing of dacs should include how well it compensates for isolation. And I believe upsampling is debatable as well if it is capable of making the analog output "more accurate" and allow for more processing outside of the audible range.

You're pretty much just copying and pasting audiophile jargon onto the page now. Occasionally in speech marks.

100rounddrum

No, the better question is why do you believe there was smoother treble and better texture.
Alright, so there's no possible way of knowing when you get smoother treble and better texture in measurements on 1 DAC vs another, except for THD, SINAD and frequency response?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To clarify; the unit I thought was worse, I thought was worse in EVERY WAY based on outer appearance AND features.

It was a lot lighter physically, it only had one 3.5mm headphone jack opposed to the 2 headphone jacks on the Microstreamer. It felt cheaper in the hand than the Microstreamer.

It was cheaper in cash, cheaper in EVERYTHING, before I tested it. I thought the Microstreamer would be superior in EVERY WAY of the word.
Read again what I wrote above.
Yet listening proved differently. How hard can that be to understand?
It's hard to understand that there is a proof without a level matched DBT.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright, so there's no possible way of knowing when you get smoother treble and better texture in measurements on 1 DAC vs another, except for THD, SINAD and frequency response?
And to reiterate. You are referring to DAC /amps.

Top Bottom