• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DACs that better compensate for noise

wineandmusic

Are there any DACS that sound as good hooked up to a daily use pc as being hooked up to a streamer?
I understand the concept of the streamer to isolate the noisy pc, but my thinking is that at a certain price point that a dac may be able to compensate for a noisy pc?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's not price, it's engineering. By and large, "noisy PCs" don't present much of an issue for engineered DACs. Sometimes there's noises from stuff like moving the mouse, but you're not doing that during critical listening...

OP
W

wineandmusic

It's not price, it's engineering. By and large, "noisy PCs" don't present much of an issue for engineered DACs. Sometimes there's noises from stuff like moving the mouse, but you're not doing that during critical listening...

Kind of funny. the two extremes between objective and subjective....I guess audiophile style chased out all the objectivists...I consider myself more objective than subjective, but I know I can hear differences (for the better) when comparing music played from the network vs from usb.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Not necessarily true; anyway, choose the right DAC and it's still not a problem.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there no one on this site that believes music via the network or from a separate specialized computer can sound better than from your daily use windows pc given the same dac?
I'll speak for myself and say I don't. Not with any of the DACs I've used.

Do you have even a theory as to why that would be so?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
We tend to not drink the coloured Kool Aid. There are things that can make audible differences, but not the things that you are asking about. Unless there is a fault with the computer.

OP
W

wineandmusic

I'll speak for myself and say I don't. Not with any of the DACs I've used.

Do you have even a theory as to why that would be so?

What DACS have you tried? And you have tried them by using something like an SOTM and heard no differences?
No I don't have a theory, I am not an Audio engineer, all i can do is quote what others have said.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
So what is the "right" DAC? In theory, they should all sound the same.
All well designed and implemented DACs will sound the same unless the designers have intentionally coloured the output. If you want to save yourself some money so that you can invest it where it matters, speakers and headphones, and even then there are diminishing returns, do yourself a favour and actually participate in some well done blind listening tests. You may be annoyed by us now, but you'll thank us later when your wallet has more money in it.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
What DACS have you tried? And you have tried them by using something like an SOTM and heard no differences?
No I don't have a theory, I am not an Audio engineer, all i can do is quote what others have said.
That is the problem, listening to what others have said and believing untested claims versus science.

gvl

Major Contributor
Is this about the noise that you can actually hear or the audiophile noise that you can't hear but afraid of?

OP
W

wineandmusic

We tend to not drink the coloured Kool Aid. There are things that can make audible differences, but not the things that you are asking about. Unless there is a fault with the computer.

Who is "we"? I don't land in any camp, but am somewhat in the middle... but do lean more towards measurements and logic than subjective opinions.

Maybe Amir can do some measurements comparing input and output of a dac connected directly to his regular use windows pc, and then on the other side of an sotm with a fancy power supply?

My hunch is that he will see some differences.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
You really think that this would reveal audible differences?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a number of DACs, and I've not used a SOTM.

Amir has done the measurements of which you speak. Even using his lab grade B&K power supply. When I've time later maybe I post links to them, but you can find them here with a little looking.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
So what dacs have you used, and what other solutions have your tried using network?
I will have to assume that you have invested a bunch of money in such solutions or you are trying to convince yourself that you should so you are looking for more people to tell you that spending money on such things is a good investment.

OP
W

wineandmusic

I've had a number of DACs, and I've not used a SOTM.

Amir has done the measurements of which you speak. Even using his lab grade B&K power supply. When I've time later maybe I post links to them, but you can find them here with a little looking.

Did he personally compared using his everyday (non optimized in any way) windows computer connected directly to a dac to same system with an SOTM in between and was not able to hear any differences either subjective or objective? I would love to see such a study.
If true, i will likely buy whatever dac he was using.

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
So what dacs have you used, and what other solutions have your tried using network?
I have spent enough on DACs before. Please don't try that old slight of hand trick. If the person tells you they don't believe in your claims, you find out what they have spent and tell them that they can't hear the differences because they didn't spend enough money to get the really competent designs.

Top Bottom