• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Internal or External

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly, Teac has started to produce their own chip and they are using it in Esoteric DACs either.
The name “Esoteric” should tell you all you need to know..

May I ask are there any benefits to have two or more chips instead of one chip in DAC?
Usually it’s a bit more SNR, maybe a tiny bit better distortion.

svosprey

I have the Schitt Modius and on a whim tried the SMSL D-6s and have enjoyed it. I like the remote. It has volume control as well as being able to switch input source without getting up. Balanced outputs as well. Reviewed well here too.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
May I ask are there any benefits to have two or more chips instead of one chip in DAC?
I think that depends on the chip. I know that with some early non oversampling DACs there was supposed to be some benefit, but I'm not so sure about modern chips; perhaps someone with more technical knowledge could answer that.

There was a thread about it: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/paralleling-dacs.2212/

1703844185308.jpeg

:oops:

gvl

Major Contributor
Paralleling 2 channels gives you 3dB noise improvement, so in theory this increases the SNR value.

OP
S

snowpix

Guys thank you for your all recommendation.
I was thinking less payment for DAC can help me to upgrade my almost useless music server, thank you for guiding me. I didn't even want to think about Chinese brands.

Do you think how much different should I expect from RCA connection of Topping E30 II Multi in compare of E70 Velvet and XLR connection on my Accuphase?

or think about SMSL D-6?

Last edited:

bachatero

That doesn't mean anything on its own. However, it might be a hint to better circuit design if they're spending more on two chips.

svosprey

Guys thank you for your all recommendation.
I was thinking less payment for DAC can help me to upgrade my almost useless music server, thank you for guiding me. I didn't even want to think about Chinese brands.

Do you think how much different should I expect from RCA connection of Topping E30 II Multi in compare of E70 Velvet and XLR connection on my Accuphase?

or think about SMSL D-6?
I purchased the SMSL D-6s from Apos for $179. I would give it a try before spending a lot more. It has XLR outputs and has DSD support. D-6 has RCA connections. D-6s has XLR and RCA.

Last edited:

PyramidElectric

I purchased the SMSL D-6s from Apos for $179. I would give it a try before spending a lot more. It has XLR outputs and has DSD support. D-6 has RCA connections. D-6s has XLR and RCA.
D-6 actually has TRS balanced connections as well as RCA, but yep if you want XLR-XLR then the D-6s is great. I think unless you have a particular reason for avoiding the ESS DSD implentation (and to get an idea re what's going on there, this blog post is excellent: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2022/06/review-smsl-do100-dac-part-iii-dsd.html ) then I think the D-6s represents the best price/performance in balanced DACs right now.

svosprey

D-6 actually has TRS balanced connections as well as RCA, but yep if you want XLR-XLR then the D-6s is great. I think unless you have a particular reason for avoiding the ESS DSD implentation (and to get an idea re what's going on there, this blog post is excellent: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2022/06/review-smsl-do100-dac-part-iii-dsd.html ) then I think the D-6s represents the best price/performance in balanced DACs right now.
True, I see no advantage unless your preamp also has TRS inputs. My plan was if I wasn't happy with the D-6s was to use it in my garage stereo set up. Until DAC's have some clear advance or features I am on hold as far as spending a lot for them. The price of the D-6s along with the ASR review is what drove my purchase.

svosprey

Good article. Thanks.

Top Bottom