• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Internal or External

snowpix

Hope I didn't make a mistake to open a new thread.

I have plan to buy Teac DAC for my integrated amplifier which is Accuphase E-280. But also I can add internal DAC card to it.
Which one do you recommend? Both are about the same price.

Generally in higher class which one is prior internal or external DAC?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Hope I didn't make a mistake to open a new thread.

I have plan to buy Teac DAC for my integrated amplifier which is Accuphase E-280. But also I can add internal DAC card to it.
Which one do you recommend? Both are about the same price.

Generally in higher class which one is prior internal or external DAC?
Either option can measure well if implemented with care. I vote for adding an internal DAC card.

gvl

Major Contributor
Looking around those Accuphase DAC cards aren’t exactly cheap at $600-800, for not much more I’d be tempted to pick a used RME ADI-2 DAC that has interesting features such as PEQ and being a dedicated and optimized device likely to perform better.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
In Europa this card sets you back 1200 euro.
A RME ADI-2 DAC FS cost the same.
This gives you far more flexibility as you can use it with any source e.g. PC, mobile and any amp.
Would be surprised if Accuphase can top this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...version-2-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.13379/

You might decide to combine the RME with a power amp instead of something integrated.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
€ 1200 for an AK4490 board :oops: That’s insane.

As for the Teac: it also contains a pre-amp. You don’t need that for your accuphase.

You don’t need a € 1200 DAC to get good performance. If you buy, buy it for the looks to match the Accuphase. Otherwise, there may be cheaper solutions out there. Check the review index!

OP
S

snowpix

Looking around those Accuphase DAC cards aren’t exactly cheap at $600-800, for not much more I’d be tempted to pick a used RME ADI-2 DAC that has interesting features such as PEQ and being a dedicated and optimized device likely to perform better.
A RME ADI-2 DAC FS cost the same.
This gives you far more flexibility as you can use it with any source e.g. PC, mobile and any amp.
Would be surprised if Accuphase can top this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...version-2-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.13379/

You might decide to combine the RME with a power amp instead of something integrated.

Thank you everyone. Actually I don't want to spend more than $700 for DAC although at beginning I wanted to spend just $500. But the reason is now I can buy Accuphase DAC-60 card for $600 and Teac 505 for $700. So as voodooless told I don't need Teac headphone amp option so maybe I need to find another one.

Do you still recommand an external DAC for this price?

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
If money is object by all means get an external DAC. Looks like your amp has balanced inputs, if they are unused look for a DAC with balanced outputs.

gvl

Major Contributor
Schiit Modius should be a good fit for this application and won’t break the bank. Support a domestic manufacturer if you care and are located in the US.

OP
S

snowpix

If money is object by all means get an external DAC. Looks like your amp has balanced inputs, if they are unused look for a DAC with balanced outputs.
Schiit Modius should be a good fit for this application and won’t break the bank. Support a domestic manufacturer if you care and are located in the US.

Thank you actually I made my decision to buy an external one, thank you for you recommendation. I didn't know about Schiit.
I also thinking about Bifrost model but there is a thing that this brand doesn't support DSD files.

I found this on their manual:

dsd.png

Do you believe in this (1 and 3)? Is this right?

OP
S

snowpix

€ 1200 for an AK4490 board :oops: That’s insane.

As for the Teac: it also contains a pre-amp. You don’t need that for your accuphase.

You don’t need a € 1200 DAC to get good performance. If you buy, buy it for the looks to match the Accuphase. Otherwise, there may be cheaper solutions out there. Check the review index!

Today I tried to find pure DAC! (without headphone amp) with XLR (balanced) output and DSD support.
But it's really hard to find.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Today I tried to find pure DAC! (without headphone amp) with XLR (balanced) output and DSD support.
But it's really hard to find.

gvl

Major Contributor
Thank you actually I made my decision to buy an external one, thank you for you recommendation. I didn't know about Schiit.
I also thinking about Bifrost model but there is a thing that this brand doesn't support DSD files.

I found this on their manual:

View attachment 337402

Schiit doesn’t do DSD so you’ll need to look at other brands. DSD doesn’t really offer more than hi-res PCM, and unless you have a collection of DSD files already you don’t really need it.

The Bifrost and the Yggdrasil are their multi bit DACs, despite all the claims Schiit makes about multibit DACs superiority they didn’t have a good showing here. It appears the latest top of the line Yggdrasil model fixed some of the issues, but there are DACs at 1/10 of its price that perform better.

Last edited:

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
Schiit always excelled in guerrilla style marketing.
1 is a nice example (it bashes DSD but doesn't talk sense but is controversial anyway).
3 there might be something in it.
DSD is single bit. In principe this simplifies things as your DAC can be single bit as well. However, most DACs are multibit so what is the point of playing single bit audio on a multi bit DAC?
DSD is not an editable format. This has been solved by DXD. Convert your DSD to DXD, do your edits and convert back to DSD.
DXD is 24 bit 382 kHz PCM audio.
Don't be surprised if your precious DSD recording is simply a DSD recording converted to PCM audio for post processing and converted back to DSD for distribution and converted back to PCM again by either your media player or your DAC.
Happy listening.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
wanted to spend just $500.
My AVR was less than $500 USD! :p It's got a DAC (of course), multiple analog & digital inputs with decoding for all the DVD & Blu-Ray formats, 5 channels at 80W each, a line output for an active subwoofer (with a built-in crossover & bass management), remote control, etc.

TurtlePaul

DSD is single bit. In principe this simplifies things as your DAC can be single bit as well. However, most DACs are multibit so what is the point of playing single bit audio on a multi bit DAC?
Like 99% of DACs sold in 2023 must be delta-sigma (single bit), right?

PyramidElectric

Re the Schiit manual:
1. Even if this is true (and probably is) it conveniently sidesteps the issue that a lot of SACD/DSD files are unique masterings of certain recordings, if you want to listen to those then DSD is the way to do it, inaudiable rising HF noise or not.
2. including the ability to process DSD files in a DAC doesn't make it any less optimised for the job of processing PCM files, look at all the best measuring DACs Amir has tested for proof of this.
3. If you want a DAC where DSD is processed as simply as possible, get one with an AKM chip, there is no conversion to PCM. ESS chips apparently do not convert DSD to PCM either, but there is some additional processing to enable volume control with DSD files (fwiw this works very well).

DAC suggestions: any of the D or E series here with balanced ouputs (there's a few): https://www.tpdz.net/dac
or the SMSL stuff: D-6S, DO100, etc etc

Last edited:
OP
S

snowpix

Like 99% of DACs sold in 2023 must be delta-sigma (single bit), right?
They are DS but use several bits. A true 1-bit decoder is more of a theoretical concept there days.

Teac support told me UD-701N even can convert PCM signals to 1-bit or multi-bit signals while DSD signals remain unchanged (1-bit), but its expensive! :confused:

Top Bottom