• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cute new schiit speaker amps

Vini darko

Major Contributor
They are so tiny and adorable.
Screenshot_20230223-202036.png
Screenshot_20230223-202021.png

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did read it on head-fi just a few hours ago. I love how Jason is trying to sell the whole "less is more" pitch.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Matias In case you want to add these to your spreadsheet, the Gjallahorn has 0.005822% THD+N at 4Ω 5W, or 84.7dB SINAD AVGed across both channels:
Screenshot 2023-02-23 232839.png

Power at 1% is 18.04W:
Screenshot 2023-02-23 233216.png

The Rekkr on the other hand, doesn't even reach 5W so not sure if/how you'd want to add it.
It can output 3.78W at 1%:
Screenshot 2023-02-23 233811.png

Both graphs are from Schiit's measurement reports (also attached below).

Attachments

• Schiit Rekkr 4Ohm Stereo.png
    Schiit Rekkr 4Ohm Stereo.png
    121 KB · Views: 411
  • Schiit Gjallahorn 4Ohm Stereo.png
    Schiit Gjallahorn 4Ohm Stereo.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 429

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Matias In case you want to add these to your spreadsheet, the Gjallahorn has 0.005822% THD+N at 4Ω 5W, or 84.7dB SINAD AVGed across both channels:
View attachment 266959

Power at 1% is 18.04W:
View attachment 266961

The Rekkr on the other hand, doesn't even reach 5W so not sure if/how you'd want to add it.
It can output 3.78W at 1%:
View attachment 266962

Both graphs are from Schiit's measurement reports (also attached below).
Thanks. Rekkr breaks the rules so it is going to remain out of the list...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have to applaud the gall of a company selling a 2wpc "HiFi" power amplifier, but they are seriously very cute. I expect they will sell better than people would think, particularly to the desktop/mom's basement crowd.

And the performance in the crucial low level listening power area is pretty impressive- they should be virtually silent on a desktop, something larger, more capable amplifiers can't reliably achieve.

I really like the new Schiits, but if I want a truly miniature amplifier for my desk, I'll just pull out a real one like this:

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just read Jason's chapter on these amps. He is dismissing desktop class D amplifiers and active speakers because of hiss, and suggesting his amps into passive speakers are the cure? That is a lot of FUD he is spreading there. Maybe he could contextualize better with things like "for the price" or "in some cheap active monitors", but "oops" he forgot to mention those, how convenient...

Anyway Schiit has a passionate fanbase, I am sure they will sell tons of them.

Topping PA3s has higher SINAD at 5W (noise included), SNR of 112 dB (117dB on Gjallarhorn), a lot higher power and still 150 usd (300 usd on the Gjallarhorn). Though I am not sure this was one of the amps with lots of failures...

"...with our exclusive Continuity S™ output stage, as well as a fully linear power supply—including a toroidal transformer with stacked rails and 30,000uF of filter capacitance. No Class D, no switching supplies, no fans. Pick it up—it’s a heavyweight!"
Jeez, that is pure FUD and nostalgia there.

Last edited:

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I have to applaud the gall of a company selling a 2wpc "HiFi" power amplifier, but they are seriously very cute. I expect they will sell better than people would think, particularly to the desktop/mom's basement crowd.

And the performance in the crucial low level listening power area is pretty impressive- they should be virtually silent on a desktop, something larger, more capable amplifiers can't reliably achieve.

I really like the new Schiits, but if I want a truly miniature amplifier for my desk, I'll just pull out a real one like this:

Is the one, I think it's called the 'jellyhorn', is that a toroidial transformer in it? That's kind of impressive, isn't it?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I just read Jason's chapter on these amps. He is dismissing desktop class D amplifiers and active speakers because of hiss, and suggesting his amps into passive speakers are the cure? That is a lot of FUD he is spreading there. Maybe he could contextualize better with things like "for the price" or "in some cheap active monitors", but "oops" he forgot to mention those, how convenient...

Anyway Schiit has a passionate fanbase, I am sure they will sell tons of them.

Topping PA3s has higher SINAD at 5W (noise included), SNR of 112 dB (117dB on Gjallarhorn), a lot higher power and still 150 usd (300 usd on the Gjallarhorn). Though I am not sure this was one of the amps with lots of failures...

"...with our exclusive Continuity S™ output stage, as well as a fully linear power supply—including a toroidal transformer with stacked rails and 30,000uF of filter capacitance. No Class D, no switching supplies, no fans. Pick it up—it’s a heavyweight!"
Jeez, that is pure FUD and nostalgia there.

Well, after glancing at the ASR review for comparison I can see the Gjallarhorn has a cute tiny toroidal in lieu of a power-line wart that dwarfs the actual amp, so I'd go nostalgic myself.

Oh, ninja'd by @Steven Holt on that on, anyways ... I'm going to remember it as jellyhorn for sure. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
is that a toroidial transformer in it? That's kind of impressive, isn't it?

Which? The little Aiwa A-10 has a toroidal transformer inside, twin stereo (4) amps running in BTL to give around 15wpc, full tone, phono stage, can run (on any world voltage) and 12V (@12W/ch) and has a plenty of inputs, a headphone out.

beeface

I guess he gives himself a bit of an out here:

"Yeah, maybe there are some relatively quiet desktop monitors, but I haven’t found them. Either that, or I’m extraordinarily sensitive to hiss. Either way, they weren’t for me."

Of course, he's being a bit vague here. Maybe he only listened an LSR305 and another infamously hissy monitor? Who knows?

And he gives himself another bit of an out here:

"Aside: and yes, I know, there are pros that have legit uses for such monitors, and people who don’t have to worry about neighbors. Not dissing those. Just asking: do you really need it? Can you use it? Or is it just crazy numbers-for-sake-of-numbers, power-nervosa specsmanship?"

At least he's admitting the amps are squarely aimed for consumers.

IDK. I think Schiit have come a long way and have at least improved their engineering over the past couple of years.

There's still silly marketing posts on Head-Fi, but at least their products are relatively affordable. There are lots of brands that are far more egregious IMO

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Which? The little Aiwa A-10 has a toroidal transformer inside, twin stereo (4) amps running in BTL to give around 15wpc, full tone, phono stage, can run (on any world voltage) and 12V (@12W/ch) and has a plenty of inputs, a headphone out.

Also adorable. But (assuming I found the right amp) I have an adverse reaction to those old-timey speaker wire clampy things.

*trying to figure the speaker outputs on those little Schiits: banana sockets?

ocinn

From Rekkr FAQ Section:
"speaker efficiency is rated in terms of dB. A 95 dB efficient speaker will be 10x as loud as an 85dB efficient speaker for the same power input."

Which is a sort of misleading claim, considering the market audience will read that as "10x the perceived loudness" .

In reality 10db is approx. equivalent to a "doubling" of perceived volume, regardless of its objective acoustic intensity change.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to enjoy reading his book/thread, but I find it increasingly hard because of all the hand waiving, FUD spreading and hard selling...

To me it reads like this analogy: "Beware of these noisy computers and that horrible internet, full of hackers and unknown dangers! We just reinvented the type machine, with real paper, ink and lever keys. Lift it, feel the weight! Forget about everything else: this is the real deal!"

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the removal of eu banana plugs is a funny cost saving move

and yeh i get it... $150-$300 is pretty bonkers for the lack of power and features given what you expect from chinese gear

further these guys are perceving problems where there isnt one?

actives and conventional solutions are so bad we need this low powerrd Schiit?

lol

pretending to solve 'problems' with new products seems to be a pretty McGowan way of thinking...

Top Bottom