• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Creative Super X-Fi

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I found this device on Facebook and I didn't see any mention of it on here, I thought I make a new thread for it. Basically this new DAC/amp dongle from Creative is said to able to make headphones sound like speakers, creating "holographic soundstage" and neutral sound like the real world. Apparently you have to take some pics of your ears and face, upload them to its own app on your phone and the AI inside the dongle will do its "magic". For now it can only be ordered in Singapore and will be available worldwide some time in the future.

Tech description
https://www.sxfi.com/tech/

Dongle product page
https://www.sxfi.com/amp/

Veri

Master Contributor
Seems like a whole lot of fairy magic.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's an HRTF DSP.

The intent is to make headphones sound like speakers by simulating the acoustic interactions which are bypassed when the transducers are strapped to the side of your head.

They idea of generating an algorithm by analyzing pictures of a person's head/ears is pretty cool but it neads to calibrate to the headphone too and I didn't see anything about that.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Makes me want to send a picture of my tongue to the folks at Mr Coffee...

but it neads to calibrate to the headphone too and I didn't see anything about that.

https://www.sxfi.com/tech/

SUPER X-FI CERTIFIED HEADPHONES
Although you may use any headphone, we recommend that you use headphones that have been certified for use with Super X-Fi for the best possible experience. Super X-Fi processing with certified headphones accounts and compensates for changes in audio output caused by the headphones to ensure audio reaches your ears as intended.

logo_super_xfi_certified.jpg

garbulky

Major Contributor
Pics of the ears and face?! Oh my. What is this supposed to do?!
Over the years I've seen a few things claiming to do the headphone is a speaker tranformation. Doesn't work out. I think my Audigy 2 had that option too. That implementation muddied things up.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Wow! Look at this uh tech wizzardry.
1538403408996.png

Actual image of their AI. Looks legit!

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SUPER X-FI CERTIFIED HEADPHONES
Although you may use any headphone, we recommend that you use headphones that have been certified for use with Super X-Fi for the best possible experience. Super X-Fi processing with certified headphones accounts and compensates for changes in audio output caused by the headphones to ensure audio reaches your ears as intended.

Missed that in their $DEITY forsaken website....

I don't see it being much use unless "certified" means they Sonarworks-esque average calibration for that model.

Pics of the ears and face?! Oh my. What is this supposed to do?!
Over the years I've seen a few things claiming to do the headphone is a speaker tranformation. Doesn't work out. I think my Audigy 2 had that option too. That implementation muddied things up.

It's supposed to turn a 2D picture into 3D geometry and simulate the various interactions of of the sound waves with one's head.

The generic ones are never really any good since everyone has a different HRTF. Ones that can be calibrated have potential. I've had good luck with TB Isone, but it really depends on how well your HFTF matches the model. If it's too far off then even that kind of calibration won't help. You may need full on measurement and convolution to get good results, but it gets expensive.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would like to see Lightning cable input on the amp. They're cutting out a big chunk of the market by ignoring iOS.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
They're getting a handle on HRTF by "simply taking three photos of your face and ears with your phone"? That sounds interesting. No, it won't be competition for the Realiser, how would you do headtracking after all? The device itself appears to be a USB DAC/HPA with some DSP capabilities built-in, similar to other things Creative has done in the past.

This AK4377 DAC they use is just nuts - 128 dB S/N (-129 dBV output noise @ 0.9 Vrms) and -109 dB THD+N in a 60 mW power budget running from a +1.8 V analog supply, with some decent headphone driving capabilities (and a PGA) built-in? Mind = blown. Granted, the ES9028 does 129 dB S/N and -120 dB THD+N on 83 mW (without a headphone driver), so maybe the A part with just 2-3 dB worse specs at 37 mW would be the more impressive feat (not to mention they've got the AK4331 that'll do 109 dB S/N / 100 dB THD+N on a paltry 5 mW - somebody wanna do a rockboxable Clip killer?). Maybe I'm just too used to "traditional" DAC performance levels still. I do have to wonder whether there might be any quirks à la ESS, and when this tech might eventually trickle down to the realm of basic USB audio interfaces (100-104 dB dynamic range typical right now).

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Head tracking is just a gimmick anyway so if the pictures got actually got good results I sure wouldn't worry.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These are supposed to be on sale now. Anyone ordering one. If they can do what they claim this is a pretty big deal I think. I don't see why it isn't possible in principle, just don't know if they've managed it in practice.

pwjazz

Forum Donor
Would like to see Lightning cable input on the amp. They're cutting out a big chunk of the market by ignoring iOS.

They're not completely ignoring iOS. They explain that as long as you have an Android device to do the calibration, you can theoretically do playback from iOS. Also, they're coming out with a bluetooth headset that will supposedly work with iOS.

bravomail

I'm not sure about device but the topic of equalizing own ears is very good. It can be done. And I've seen people do it in a proper way - they measure subjective loudness of different freqs vs test tone of 1KHz (for example). Then you combine headphone and ear equalization and get an ideal sound! :)

Tene

Some early measurements with RMAA: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/117428833-post2.html
They show pretty bad noise levels and abysmal crosstalk amounts.

For the effect, you should try before buying if you can. Some people like it, some do not.
From reviews it doesn't seem to work well for everything, some samples are more adequate than others.
Of course during the CES demo they chose the perfect samples and played sweep tones with in-ear mics instead of a generating a mapping from pics.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some early measurements with RMAA: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/117428833-post2.html
They show pretty bad noise levels and abysmal crosstalk amounts.

For the effect, you should try before buying if you can. Some people like it, some do not.
From reviews it doesn't seem to work well for everything, some samples are more adequate than others.
Of course during the CES demo they chose the perfect samples and played sweep tones with in-ear mics instead of a generating a mapping from pics.
Well that is dirty pool. Promoting a product based upon AI analyzing pictures and they demo with custom ear measurements using in ear mikes. Bad, bad, bad.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure about device but the topic of equalizing own ears is very good. It can be done. And I've seen people do it in a proper way - they measure subjective loudness of different freqs vs test tone of 1KHz (for example). Then you combine headphone and ear equalization and get an ideal sound! :)
I've read this claim before and it makes no sense to me. You're chasing your tail without a reference.

erhm

I must admit to being interested in the Creative Super X-Fi. I'm wondering if will be a Smyth Realiser on the cheap?

Anyone planning to purchase?

i got it and its amazing. i have tried atmos, thx spatial and hesuvi and nothing comes remotely close in terms of out of your head, concert-like sound. you need to hear it. everyone needs to hear it.

Top Bottom