• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intentionally doing it wrong

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was curious how much difference I could hear with a "bad" setup.

I'm listening to Qobuz's Best of Classical 2023 playlist. Qobuz says it is playing Hi-Res 96.0k. The only streaming device is my Asus Chromebox (ASUS Chromebox 5 with Intel® Core i5-1240P Processor, 16GB ram, 2tb ssd) running the latest version of the android Qobuz app. Output is with Bluetooth from the Chromebox to Sennheiser Momentum 4 headphones.

No extra dac. Just whatever is in the Chromebox. I know it shouldn't, but it actually sounds good. I know it is not lossless.

Why doesn't this combination sound "bad"? No buffering. No dropouts until I was 65 feet away from my office. I expected worse.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would ask this the other way round:- Why would you not expect this to sound good?
If you measure frequency response, noise and distortion, you will most probably find that all are well below audibility, so nothing to make it sound bad.

S

Top Bottom