• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crapware

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a laptop, Lenovo brand. It was loaded with crapware. I clicked and uninstalled it. One program would not uninstall. It was some kind of audio enhancer which promised surround sound with only 2 channels. I wish that I had written the name down. It began with an "N". After some searching I found information on how to get rid of it, or I thought so. It would not go away. Then I noticed Equalizer APO wasn't working. No matter what I did the program would reinstall. There is only one reason for this behavior in a free program. It's collecting all sorts of data.

Finally, I reset the laptop. Equalizer APO was working. I uninstalled McAfee AV. Then I noticed Microsoft's Devender AV was gone. Lots of searches produced no working solution. The analysis was a policy had been installed to turn off the AV. It should have been uninstalled when McAfee was removed, but it persisted. The machine was new so I took it back.

A few years ago this kind of stuff did not happen. I'm annoyed.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Crapware has been going on for decades. PC companies get paid to install these things and so they do. My Lenovo is not too bad as I opted out of a bunch of stuff. Sad thing is that it has bled to Android phones where carriers force stuff that can't be uninstalled.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Crapware has been going on for decades. PC companies get paid to install these things and so they do. My Lenovo is not too bad as I opted out of a bunch of stuff. Sad thing is that it has bled to Android phones where carriers force stuff that can't be uninstalled.
This is the first time I ever had crapware that could not be removed. I have to assume it was phoning home big time for anyone to have designed it to be so persistent. There were also pop-ups on the Lenovo advising me of valuable offers. I can't turn on my TV without a page of advertising. I've been through the Android thing.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Can you do a "clean install" using the product key on the unit?

JSmith

Master Contributor
I uninstalled McAfee AV. Then I noticed Microsoft's Devender AV was gone
McAfee can be difficult to remove all components. If removed properly MS Defender should be available to take over.

Make sure McAfee is completely removed, so after uninstalling, restart the PC and run through these steps to make sure it's all gone;

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=T...

After uninstalling McAfee open Windows Defender settings and in Windows Defender Security Centre "fix" anything that's flagged.

JSmith

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some answers:
Win 11 home.
Since Win 10 each machine has a digital license making it possible to do an install without a serial number. I wasn't in the mood to do that when I could just return the machine.

Durnik

MS Edge, Cortana, Windows Store, Xbox software...
This is the first time I ever had crapware that could not be removed. I have to assume it was phoning home big time for anyone to have designed it to be so persistent. There were also pop-ups on the Lenovo advising me of valuable offers. I can't turn on my TV without a page of advertising. I've been through the Android thing.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
My Lenovo is not too bad as I opted out of a bunch of stuff.
You mean they actually learned from the Superfish scandal? Crapware that injected ads and violated privacy was bad enough, but using a UEFI mechanism to reinstall it if you ever removed it was worse. The icing on the cake was the security vulnerability it contained.

JSmith

Master Contributor
You be surprised actually... now it's Chromium based it's actually faster and better then Chrome.

Their market share in the browser space has increased to over 30%, compared to 6% and under for IE/Non-Chromium Edge.

JSmith

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
They may be auto-installed from the BIOS.

Tassin

Have bought hundreds of Lenovo ThinkPad for the company over the past 5-6 years. First bullet point in the SOP is to start with a clean ISO-install from MS.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You be surprised actually... now it's Chromium based it's actually faster and better then Chrome.

Their market share in the browser space has increased to over 30%, compared to 6% and under for IE/Non-Chromium Edge.

JSmith
Around here we use Edge exclusively. My favorite feature is the tracking cookie blocking.

Top Bottom