• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows USB to 'Digital' Amp (Denon PMA-60) - No Windows Volume or EQ

Mark S.

The only USB driver I've found that works with this amp is bundled into Denon's XMDriver setup (Denon_DriverSetup_v3.0.0.exe).

Problem - although this allows the volume control in some programs that use their own to work (media players like MPC-BE and of course Foobar) the Windows volume control and Equaliser APO are bypassed.

It doesn't completely ignore the Windows mixer, the bit-depth/sample rate selected in Sounds > PMA-60 are applied (seen on the PMA-60's display).

This means that Kodi (which I use exclusively for video/movies and for casual browsing and playing of music) has no volume control, and Equaliser APO isn't applied with any media player (the PMA60 is a selectable device in the APO 'configurator').

The owners manual makes this passing reference; "You can also control volume and equalizer on your computer. Enjoy Playing muisc at the desired volume".

Anyone know if there is a compatible, generic USB driver that would work with these Denon amps (that would allow uninstalling and dispensing with the Denon setup package)?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The owners manual makes this passing reference; "You can also control volume and equalizer on your computer. Enjoy Playing muisc at the desired volume".
I would understand that to mean that those features are built-into a Denon app, or the driver itself. So you'd open a Denon app or driver to adjust the volume or EQ.

OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

I would understand that to mean that those features are built-into a Denon app, or the driver itself. So you'd open a Denon app or driver to adjust the volume or EQ.
No app, no control panel, the only settings available are in Sounds > Playback Devices.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Mark S. Have you tried using Microsoft's Generic Audio device driver instead of the one provided by Denon?

Usually, audio devices will automatically revert to this generic driver once you uninstall the manufacturer provided one.

You can check which driver your device is currently using by opening the Device Manager->Sound, video and game controllers->Your device ->Properties->"Manufacturer: xxx"

If it says Microsoft, then the generic driver is being used.
If it says anything else, then the other one is in use.

OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

@Mark S. Have you tried using Microsoft's Generic Audio device driver instead of the one provided by Denon?

Usually, audio devices will automatically revert to this generic driver once you uninstall the manufacturer provided one.

You can check which driver your device is currently using by opening the Device Manager->Sound, video and game controllers->Your device ->Properties->"Manufacturer: xxx"

If it says Microsoft, then the generic driver is being used.
If it says anything else, then the other one is in use.
I've tried a couple of other drivers (the Denon download page for the PMA-60 includes a generic driver for the PMA-50 (!?) but it doesn't work). Windows 10 can't find one for it.
Denon USB.jpg

This is the Denon install, I'm wondering if something in there could be tweaked;

Last edited:

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Wonder what is going on.
Looks like this is an older device as it say you don't need to install drivers on OSX but do need them on Win. From 2012 on OSX supported UAC2 (USB AUdio Class 2) and this is what you need to play > 96 kHz. Before 2017 Win only supported UAC1.
Looking at the manual https://assets.denon.com/documentmaster/eng/pma-60e2_eng_pdf_im_v00a.pdf page 10, you need to install UAC2 in case of Win (TheSycon USB audio driver). From 2017 on, Win supports UAC2 natively. Makes me wonder if you need to install any driver at all.

OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Noticed that in Kodi the SU-1 DAC is listed as;
DIRECTSOUND: Speakers (SMSL USB DAC)

the PMA-60 is;
DIRECTSOUND: Digital Passthrough - Digital Audio Interface (PMA-60)

Wasapi is an option for both, also "Speakers" and "Digital Passthrough" for the SU-1 and PMA-60 respectively.

OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Wonder what is going on.
Looks like this is an older device as it say you don't need to install drivers on OSX but do need them on Win. From 2012 on OSX supported UAC2 (USB AUdio Class 2) and this is what you need to play > 96 kHz. Before 2017 Win only supported UAC1.
Looking at the manual https://assets.denon.com/documentmaster/eng/pma-60e2_eng_pdf_im_v00a.pdf page 10, you need to install UAC2 in case of Win (TheSycon USB audio driver). From 2017 on, Win supports UAC2 natively. Makes me wonder if you need to install any driver at all.
Without running the Denon installer Windows lists it in 'Other USB Devices' with no drivers installed, and can't then find any for it.

OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Probably something by Kodi preventing volume control etc.
Try "Speakers"
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough;

the SU-1 is listed as 'Speakers' for both Directsound and Wasapi, the Denon as "Digital Passthrough / Digital Audio Interface" for both.

OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Pretty sure there's no getting around the issues (probably "features" if you ask Denon), they're just baked in.

(BTW, had a look at the .ini, .inf and .xml's and they all date to 2015, Windows 8.1 the latest OS mentioned in them.)

Sigh. Well, I'd already decided buying the PMA-60 was a mistake - no line-out (idiotic), no 'true' pre-amp section, the line-in goes into a DSP chip - definitely going to try another approach and sell it on.

Top Bottom