• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crapware

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In any case, plenty of issues with linux, and plenty of benefits. There are linux alternatives to Photoshop that are quite usable. I'm thinking if you are a pro maybe you just need the standard thing in photoshop. I have issues with all the main computer and phone OS's. So there are tradeoffs with all. I much prefer linux and it isn't nearly so much effort as it once was. In many ways it is less effort. I have to keep something else for a few edge cases. Mainly it seems like freedom.

I will have to say unequivocally there is nothing which runs native on Linux which even comes close to Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw. Stuff like Raw Therapee doesn't have anywhere near the features.

It would be very nice of you to find some data when you disagree with my 2% or any of the news articles I link to.
This took me 30 seconds to find: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide/ . OK, it's almost 3%. Big deal.

@Spocko First of all not everyone can get Lightroom/Photoshop running on Linux. I've read that a VM running Windows is the best way. No crapware, but it takes you right back to the "evil empire". Don't take for granted that everyone has the technical skills you posses. The issues go way beyond time is money. It's abut keeping one's sanity. Besides, it's not nice to berate professionals over how they do their workflow. The percentage of serious photographers pro or otherwise who use Adobe software is enormous, around 80 or 90%. I am a serious photographer. Please don't advise me on how to do my art when that advice is based solely on your choice of OS.

The failure of Linux to gain more than a sliver of the desktop market speaks for itself. Servers, the cloud and mobile devices, that's a whole different story. You can't have it all.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I went through the same thing with Nahimic on my MSI laptop. I was also unable to get rid of it.:mad:
The link I posted says disable the service and forget about it. MSI is the worst offender regarding Nahimic.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I will have to say unequivocally there is nothing which runs native on Linux which even comes close to Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw. Stuff like Raw Therapee doesn't have anywhere near the features.

It would be very nice of you to find some data when you disagree with my 2% or any of the news articles I link to.
This took me 30 seconds to find: https://gs.statcounter.co1.0m/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide/ . OK, it's almost 3%. Big deal.

@Spocko First of all not everyone can get Lightroom/Photoshop running on Linux. I've read that a VM running Windows is the best way. No crapware, but it takes you right back to the "evil empire". Don't take for granted that everyone has the technical skills you posses. The issues go way beyond time is money. It's abut keeping one's sanity. Besides, it's not nice to berate professionals over how they do their workflow. The percentage of serious photographers pro or otherwise who use Adobe software is enormous, around 80 or 90%. I am a serious photographer. Please don't advise me on how to do my art when that advice is based solely on your choice of OS.

The failure of Linux to gain more than a sliver of the desktop market speaks for itself. Servers, the cloud and mobile devices, that's a whole different story. You can't have it all.
I wasn't disputing much, just that I somehow run into more than 5% of people using linux personally. I think perhaps all the businesses using windows skews the number. Doesn't change that linux is 2 or 3% of total machines, but that linux is 2 or 3% of personal machines is where I think it might be in some error.

If you cannot get functionality then who am I to argue. I don't find anything in Adobe Raw or Lightroom I cannot do in other software, but I'm no pro or even advanced hobbiest. I complain about audio processing software capabilities that 99% of no one cares about. But if you cannot abide by Windows and you don't want Mac then what are you to do? To me Linux is easy, convenient and I'm free to use it as I wish. If not for proprietary issues, Linux would be by far the best for my purposes. Which is why I use it and keep a laptop with the other systems for those few times there is a barrier to Linux. Also as a result I switch between Linux, Mac and Windows using each for what it is good for and not worrying too much about the things I don't like about them.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if this fits your needs. I've got an ASUS ROG G14. From earlier this year. It does not have Nahimic on it. It does have a couple of other things which you can turn off. They also make them in other sizes. Gaming laptop. I don't game, but it works nicely for other things. Nahimic was once included with Armoury Crate, but best I can determine is not anymore. And you can definitely not run Armoury Crate.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And you can definitely not run Armoury Crate.
I recently uninstalled Armory Crate and gained ~double to ~triple the download speed. It was for sure a culprit of 2 culprits. The other being Nvidia Experience.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if this fits your needs. I've got an ASUS ROG G14. From earlier this year. It does not have Nahimic on it. It does have a couple of other things which you can turn off. They also make them in other sizes. Gaming laptop. I don't game, but it works nicely for other things. Nahimic was once included with Armoury Crate, but best I can determine is not anymore. And you can definitely not run Armoury Crate.
I was looking at laptops at Best Buy and Microcenter this morning and noticed the Asus gaming computers were the only gaming computers without Nahimic. However, gaming computers tend to be heavy and chunky. I have to have 16" because the warranty expired on my eyes and the smaller screens give me eyestrain. Asus has recently released a creator series with RTX graphics cards in slim and light cases. I believe the difference from the gaming computers is the GPU chips are limited to running at 40 watts.

My recent blow up with the Lenovo Legion has made me warry of repurposing a gaming computer for photography, but many people do it because gaming computers cost a lot less than workstations with similar performance.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking at laptops at Best Buy and Microcenter this morning and noticed the Asus gaming computers were the only gaming computers without Nahimic. However, gaming computers tend to be heavy and chunky. I have to have 16" because the warranty expired on my eyes and the smaller screens give me eyestrain. Asus has recently released a creator series with RTX graphics cards in slim and light cases. I believe the difference from the gaming computers is the GPU chips are limited to running at 40 watts.

My recent blow up with the Lenovo Legion has made me warry of repurposing a gaming computer for photography, but many people do it because gaming computers cost a lot less than workstations with similar performance.
Well I liked the screen, the keyboard and the touchpad which are all above average. Plus the performance for the price. Plus you can upgrade the internals later if you wish. It is pretty light, though yes a touch clunky. I have the AMD Ryzen CPU though you can get the latest Intels if that is your preference.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently uninstalled Armory Crate and gained ~double to ~triple the download speed. It was for sure a culprit of 2 culprits. The other being Nvidia Experience.
I couldn't tell a big difference with or without Amoury Crate, but don't see any benefit for sure. Mine downloads fast on sustained downloads, but it slow starting a download which is a strange thing for a gaming laptop. My understanding is that is the fault of the MedieTek Wifi card. Many suggest swapping it for an Intel Wifi card. A plug and play fix in any case.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I liked the screen, the keyboard and the touchpad which are all above average. Plus the performance for the price. Plus you can upgrade the internals later if you wish. It is pretty light, though yes a touch clunky. I have the AMD Ryzen CPU though you can get the latest Intels if that is your preference.
What I see is the gaming machines have a 4070 with a 140 watt TDP. The creator laptops limit power to 40 watts. That knocks a lo of weight off not only the machine but the power supply. 300 watt PSU's weigh as much bu themselves as a thin and light laptop.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What I see is the gaming machines have a 4070 with a 140 watt TDP. The creator laptops limit power to 40 watts. That knocks a lo of weight off not only the machine but the power supply. 300 watt PSU's weigh as much bu themselves as a thin and light laptop.
They have several versions. Mine has the Radeon RX6800 S video card which is okay, but not equal with the Nvidia 4070 for gaming (which I don't care about). It maxes out at 105 watts TDP. The power supply on it isn't huge, I just weighted the PS, with power cord it is one pound even. The version with the Nvidia and Intel CPUs are heavier on power usage. Looking at them in person though you'll figure out what you think of it.

Looks like the 2023 version (mine is 2022) is mostly using the Nvidia 4050 or 4090 at 125 watts TDP. You might find a different non-gaming variant to suit your needs. I was looking for a lot of performance for the money, and being able to upgrade the memory and drive.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Weren't computers suppose to make our lives easier?
Ehhh what? LoL... Back decades ago they where a lot of work keeping one up and in tip top operation. Reformatting was followed by a long duration installation and a even longer updates routine. Today we have it made for us all ready for action.

JRS

Major Contributor
If the machine was non returnable that's probably what I would have done. However, it's one thing for an IT department to work out how to do this efficiently and completely something else for an individual. I was able to do it for a Sony laptop a while back, but someone had written a guide for it. Just remember, not everyone has your skills. I'm not getting paid for this, so I will find another laptop.
Thats too bad. I just bought a Lenovo 14" 2 in 1 with an OLED screen, i7 16GB Ram for $900 that I love. Not much bloatware. BTW it's not unique to Lenovo, but unless you physically remove McAfee or other preinstalled antivirus software, the built in windows protection will not start. And that protection is no longer Defender but some watered down suite called Security. If you have a MS 365 subscription then Defender is free.

Now I get that conflicting antivirus software simultaneously installed and running is fraught, but there ought to be a warning that when McAfee expires, you are a babe in the woods vulnerable. Hell if I'm paying a subscription for software--I use Office Libre and most of the audio software using EXCEL spreadsheet programming works fine. YMMV.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Philbo King If you can live with Linux that's fine. However, LInux has only a 2% share of the desktop market. I guess it's because the Microsoft/Apple cartel has conspired to keep it that way. They probably paid off Adobe to not make native Linux versions of their software. LOL.
I'm very grateful no linux version of Adobe Flash ever appeared (as far as I know). But there are tools for working with .pdf files. Adobe seems to have the reverse Midas touch - everything they touch turns into a steaming brown pile. My wife uses Linux on her Acer laptop for email/browser/word processor/etc. and she is quite satisfied with it.

I don't use it in my recording studio (yet) because I get printer/multidisplay/USB wifi dongle issues that I don't have time to sort out, so it is staying on Win7 till that PC dies. It is currently 15 years old; great for recording/editing audio, but starts choking on video editing. Not too bad for a 3 core with 4GB ram. I probably will go to to Linux on my next system though; there is a huge wealth of Linux DAW/DSP plugins out there that few people are aware of.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'm very grateful no linux version of Adobe Flash ever appeared (as far as I know).
There used to be one. You must just have missed it. It was a requirement for many of the early tv catchup sites as it had DRM for video content before it was built into browsers.
This took me 30 seconds to find: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide/ . OK, it's almost 3%. Big deal.
I'm surprised it was that high. Valve's Steam survey data usually has it a little over 1% and neither the huge improvements in it running Windows games on linux nor the Steam Deck have moved it significantly.

Top Bottom