• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Computer Audiophiles Are Anti-Computer

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course people can hear the artifacts, Tim - a standard whinge is that a recording has bad sibilance, they even have controls in mastering suites to "rid" the track of this "problem". This ... is ... an ... audible ... artifact - and you can make it go away by "fixing" the system - no EQ'ng and playing with tone controls; you just reduce the distortion that makes for that irritating quality in the playback.

Another goody are cymbals that sound like white noise, or people fooling with kitchenware - that ... is ... an ... audible ... artifact - and you can make it go away by "fixing" the system. No, it is not a dud recording; it's dud playback - which means it's fixable ...

Well, at least you put fixing in quotes. You've said these things you hear, these things you fix are immeasurable (which, by the way, is not the case with sibilance and cymbals that sound like white noise). And you're not running blind listening tests, so no, Frank, the audibility of your artifacts is not "established." There is nothing established about it but your sighted listening reports. And I think your post history recommends you as one of the most powerful self-bias creators ever. I'll need a bit more than your opinion of your own tweaks to call anything established.

Tim

fas42

Major Contributor
Well, at least you put fixing in quotes. You've said these things you hear, these things you fix are immeasurable (which, by the way, is not the case with sibilance and cymbals that sound like white noise). And you're not running blind listening tests, so no, Frank, the audibility of your artifacts is not "established." There is nothing established about it but your sighted listening reports. And I think your post history recommends you as one of the most powerful self-bias creators ever. I'll need a bit more than your opinion of your own tweaks to call anything established.

Tim
So, how does one measure disturbing sibilance, and white noise cymbals?

If you have two recordings, one with with excess sibilance, and poor quality cymbals; and one without - do you need a DBT or such to differentiate that? Personally, I don't.

I don't have opinions on my tweaks, I have opinions on the resultant sound - sometimes a particular tweak is strongly effective, other times not. I try something, and it's useful or not, or maybe it makes things worse; I'm not hooked on a particular set of techniques, I'm hooked on the technique of trying various medicines, until the patient fully recovers ... and I'm always learning ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So, how does one measure disturbing sibilance, and white noise cymbals?

If you have two recordings, one with with excess sibilance, and poor quality cymbals; and one without - do you need a DBT or such to differentiate that? Personally, I don't.

I don't have opinions on my tweaks, I have opinions on the resultant sound - sometimes a particular tweak is strongly effective, other times not. I try something, and it's useful or not, or maybe it makes things worse; I'm not hooked on a particular set of techniques, I'm hooked on the technique of trying various medicines, until the patient fully recovers ... and I'm always learning ...
The argument frank is a simple one, keeping to your analogy...,

The tools the doctor is using for diagnosis are flawed as are the tools being used to proclaim effective cure.

So just how 'valid' is your medicine?

fas42

Major Contributor
The tools the doctor is using for diagnosis are flawed as are the tools being used to proclaim effective cure.
The only thing that counts is that the patient feels better, and can get on with his life without feeling lousy, with full effectiveness - however that is achieved.

I wouldn't be this fussy, but for the fact that I experienced convincing playback, 30 years ago - so, I'm stuck with the memory, can't do much about that!! All the people screaming at me that B&W TV is as good as it possibly can get counts for nought, once I've glimped a burst of a full blown colour - end of story. So, if I only can see B&W, or I'm feeling lousy when the doctor tells me all the tests are positive, then I just might have to find me another doc ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The only thing that counts is that the patient feels better, and can get on with his life without feeling lousy, with full effectiveness - however that is achieved.

I wouldn't be this fussy, but for the fact that I experienced convincing playback, 30 years ago - so, I'm stuck with the memory, can't do much about that!! All the people screaming at me that B&W TV is as good as it possibly can get counts for nought, once I've glimped a burst of a full blown colour - end of story. So, if I only can see B&W, or I'm feeling lousy when the doctor tells me all the tests are positive, then I just might have to find me another doc ...
Dr spazmatron awaits ...:D

fas42

Major Contributor
Dr spazmatron awaits ...:D
I see ... when all else fails then check out "a person who is so unbelievably retarded there is no word for them"... :confused: :eek:

Anders V

I am negative on “computers” for audio too, but for entirely different reasons: not sound quality but the complexity of general-purpose machines. I think we will move to small, single-purpose devices. Of course they will have compute capability inside, but when everything is smart and connected, talking about “computers” will be as quaint as a hotel advertising “Color TV”. I have expanded on this perspective in the Roon forum:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/th...purpose-devices-wonkish/39644?u=andersvinberg

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I am negative on “computers” for audio too, but for entirely different reasons: not sound quality but the complexity of general-purpose machines. I think we will move to small, single-purpose devices. Of course they will have compute capability inside, but when everything is smart and connected, talking about “computers” will be as quaint as a hotel advertising “Color TV”. I have expanded on this perspective in the Roon forum:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/th...purpose-devices-wonkish/39644?u=andersvinberg
I kind of agree, but I think there's a barrier to this super-slick world of interconnected devices: engineers' own thought processes. The only people capable of creating this world (and that includes imagining it, specifying it, designing it) are engineers and technicians, and they don't have the same way of thinking as 'civilians'.

A typical example would be RDS radio. This was/is supposed to be a system to make FM radio more useful to all consumers yet it ended up an opaque, clunky system. Something meant to be for consumers resembles a half-built prototype in a workshop, with a few scattered buttons with arcane acronyms on Dymo labels. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Even a technically-minded person sometimes ends up with super-loud traffic announcements popping up in the middle of some quiet classical music. They press a button with 'T' in it a couple of times and the radio re-tunes to another station. Etc.

You only need to see how IT type people are comfortable working with networks: MAC address, IP address, gateway address, DNS, DHCP, TCP, UDP, port forwarding, tunneling, etc. etc. It is still a mystery to me how this knowledge gets into their brains - they just seem to know it, and it is not even something they are using as a means to an end: they literally find it interesting in its own right. As such, they become the only people capable of implementing the fridge that knows when to throw out the milk and order some fresh, and this is reflected in how clunky it will be to use.

The benefit of the general purpose computing device and operating system is that through sheer necessity, civilians have learned to work around engineering clunkiness, and the people who design the systems have been forced to fix the most clunky aspects of them. So there's a halfway house where ordinary, creative people become au fait with files, folders, deleting, installing programs and so on. It is the 'workaround' for the clunkiness of the engineering brain.

The average person will not believe that the fridge isn't going to order 1000 pints of milk by mistake, and would much rather connect a laptop to it and use the general purpose Windows type interface they are used to to set it up.

So I don't necessarily predict the end of the general purpose computer.

Anders V

I kind of agree, but I think there's a barrier to this super-slick world of interconnected devices: engineers' own thought processes. The only people capable of creating this world (and that includes imagining it, specifying it, designing it) are engineers and technicians, and they don't have the same way of thinking as 'civilians'.

A typical example would be RDS radio. This was/is supposed to be a system to make FM radio more useful to all consumers yet it ended up an opaque, clunky system. Something meant to be for consumers resembles a half-built prototype in a workshop, with a few scattered buttons with arcane acronyms on Dymo labels. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Even a technically-minded person sometimes ends up with super-loud traffic announcements popping up in the middle of some quiet classical music. They press a button with 'T' in it a couple of times and the radio re-tunes to another station. Etc.

You only need to see how IT type people are comfortable working with networks: MAC address, IP address, gateway address, DNS, DHCP, TCP, UDP, port forwarding, tunneling, etc. etc. It is still a mystery to me how this knowledge gets into their brains - they just seem to know it, and it is not even something they are using as a means to an end: they literally find it interesting in its own right. As such, they become the only people capable of implementing the fridge that knows when to throw out the milk and order some fresh, and this is reflected in how clunky it will be to use.

The benefit of the general purpose computing device and operating system is that through sheer necessity, civilians have learned to work around engineering clunkiness, and the people who design the systems have been forced to fix the most clunky aspects of them. So there's a halfway house where ordinary, creative people become au fait with files, folders, deleting, installing programs and so on. It is the 'workaround' for the clunkiness of the engineering brain.

The average person will not believe that the fridge isn't going to order 1000 pints of milk by mistake, and would much rather connect a laptop to it and use the general purpose Windows type interface they are used to to set it up.

So I don't necessarily predict the end of the general purpose computer.
Sure, the general purpose computer isn’t going away, but its growth is limited by the clunkiness.

My experience gives a hint of this future. I now use a Roon Nucleus which underneath the covers is a Linux box, and I have never logged on to configure or troubleshoot the platform, the OS or hardware. Same with the MicroRendu. As for the network, I now use an Eero mesh, and it doesn’t even have a configuration UI. Same as my FM tuner in the 70s.

Single purpose devices make it possible to solve the problems you talk about. Doesn’t mean all devices will be good. But it is at least possible.

We have order-of-magnitude a billion computers. By 2050 we will have tens of billions, hundreds of billions, a trillion smart and connected devices. They can’t all be “computers”.

I think this dominates the audio discussion. The reason I don’t recommend computer audio to friends and family (except co-workers) isn’t the sound quality foibles, it’s the techie clunkiness.

Tks

Major Contributor
From your post on the Roon board, I will reply to each section as I read it, so as to explain the natural opinions formed as one might read it, even if later portions explain things in more required context.

I was recently asked why I migrated from a NUC to a Nucleus. And I have taken positions on devices and on NAS that have been disconcerting to some. These views are rooted in a broader view of the future evolution of technology. So I’ll explain my reasoning here. It might be interesting for people who care about the tech field, and it might be useful for people thinking about setting up Roon. And if you don’t care about the technology, it might not interest you at all.

I think we are in the midst of a profound shift to ubiquitous, small, single-purpose devices. Not just a change in how computers are configured, from large general-purpose to small single-purpose. More fundamentally, small, single-purpose, intelligent and network-connected devices will be everywhere and will have a huge impact on the world, bigger than the past computer revolution. In the Roon context I favor Nucleus and MicroRendu and such devices over a Windows PC or a Mac or a NAS. But the observation applies much broader than audio. And the magnitude of the shift makes it long term: it is a prognosis for the next 50 years. But it has started.

All devices start as specific purpose, so your recollection of history isn't valid. With respect to computers, single-purpose devices are the things that are folded into general purpose computer feature-sets. This is all driven by the litmus test provided by objective economics of supply/demand. If a technology has mass appeal in terms of "mandatory" application, and makes sense to be a part of a computing stack, then the attempt to bring it to a computing "general purpose" device will be attempted (so as long as the cost isn't astronomical as it usually is when using the single-purpose version).

If after that there is a market that demands high-performance versions for such function, a single-purpose version will be refined or created (if computers already killed the single-purpose version prior to joining the fold of "computers").

Software driven devices are especially prone to never fulfilling your sort of reasoning simply because there aren't many people willing to pay a price premium for the Roon Nucleus that you have, compared to a NUC and network stack that at least fulfills the performance requirements (read/write speeds, as well as things like wireless performance perhaps, and things of that nature). Single-purpose devices will never overtake what ephemralization's effects are in the mass general market (empheralization is the concept of doing more with less, like CPU die density increasing while die size decreasing on the nanometer scale every generation, while also increasing performance AND at the same time decreasing power usage).

Unless you start seeing devices that can offer value higher than offered along with a "computer", this sort of paradigm shift you envision is not going to happen with the way the hardware and software sectors operate currently. Especially even more unlikely when you take a deep philosophical dive with how Intellectual Property stands to always continually stifle progress attempts in specific purpose devices, and the price premium that is paid because of close-source products.

At the end of the day, it ALL has to do with costs, and when you have industries the rely on one another (there isn't a single product out there that I know of that handles ALL of its hardware and software design for a computing device, which is why you will never see a device like a motherboard made FULLY in-house).

But recently, since the turn of the century, we have come to realize that systems management has become one limiting factor. And in my view, this is driven by the complexity of the general-purpose architecture.

I am particularly sensitive to this, I spent twenty years working on this problem. I saw studies by Gartner that showed the Total Cost of Ownership for a corporate PC was several thousand dollars per year, far beyond the cost of the machine. We strove to improve, but the fundamental complexity is irreducible because of the ambition to make the machines general purpose.

Roon is not corporate, management is not a cost, but the root problem remains: complexity makes it difficult to set things up and keep them running reliably and adjust and tune them. Computing complexity is the bane of our enjoyment. Just look at the forums.

Turn of the century, and turn of the last decade or two are totally different, and cannot be comparable in the slightest with respect to topics of contention. Cost of ownership of my workstation/performance PC is simply removing my fan filter, and cleaning them once per two weeks, and changing the thermal paste once per year just for good measure on the CPU/GPU. There is no other serious cost aside from electricity. Again, the demands of a few decades ago were nothing to what they are now (in the same way a general purpose iPhone 30 years ago wouldn't have been needed today, but good luck living without a smartphone today in any major metropolis).

Another reason why general purpose devices like computers today aren't going anywhere, is if they offer modularity, they can always be upgraded and made to fit the times. The Roon Nucleus device, will instantly be obsolete by relative comparison when a new version of it hits. That isn't to say we aren't seeing the destruction of the general purpose computer (by soldering all parts to it's motherboard for instance in laptops mainly), but this is just economics flexing and stabilizing with respect to entities seeing what they can get away with. So with respect to "general purpose devices going away", you may have a point, but without actual context, anything can be argued. You MUST give specific examples, because the economic aspect hasn't been spoken much from your side, and it needs to be.

As for complexity, this is a design/UI/UX issue that can always be honed, hardware or software regardless, so not a valid complaint. The argument you make with this claim can be logically argued in conclusion by someone like me saying "Okay so there is value in people not willing to take the time to learn something, yet be willing to pay astronomically for a simple single-purpose device". That's not how the general flow of human awareness unfolds. Compared to the general population of 500 years ago, we would be similar to gods with respect to understanding and insight.. same thing here, and dumping a NUC in favor of the Roon Nucleus will never be a mass-market thing simply due to the massive price difference if not anything else.

In parallel Moore’s law has upended the economics. We used to think of Moore as continual speed improvement, but it isn’t a technical “law”, it is an economic observation. As it is, we can’t make machines faster like we did because they melt, but they are cheap so we can have many of them. That’s the cloud model, and it is also the new device model.

It’s the Internet of Things model, the Ambient Computing model. We will be surrounded by smart, connected devices. They will have compute capability built in, but it will be quaint to refer to “computers”.

And the changing economics will change our attitude about what resources we leverage. An anecdote that illustrates the product design consequences of price-performance shifts: in the eighties somebody invented a general-purpose kitchen appliance, by inserting an electric motor in the kitchen counter, and you would have blenders and food processors and can openers that would snap onto that motor. It failed in the market, in my view because it tried to reuse the electric motor which is no longer an expensive component. There were practical disadvantages with a single motor fixed in one location, and the economic shifts allowed us to solve that by having lots of small electric motors built into single-purpose devices like blenders and food processors and can openers.

Similarly, we will have less incentive to reuse computers for multiple purposes because they are cheap, we can have many of them. But this works only if the many are so simple that managing the swarm of single-purpose devices is in the aggregate less work that managing the single multi-purpose device.

Incorrect, while proponents of Moore's Law said it would continue with exponential pace (like the idiots that they are), the ever progressing pace of technology is a natural law in the same way something like natural selection is. So as long as the conditions for it to be fostered exist, machines are always improving in general. Not just machines, but technology in totality. While we can't take along with us, all improvements and have them applied in the newest revision of a product (like the odd kitchen appliance product failure you spoke about) we still take the lessons and scientific reasoning with us, and apply the base tenants with respect to goals in mind. There are no "economics" that will ever prevent the attempts technology makes in doing more with less (the ephemeralization I talked about prior), otherwise we would still be using rocks instead of pneumatic hammers. So while some products will utterly fail the test of economics (like plasma televisions did with their non-ability to scale with resolution, and instead ballooning power requirements as size and resolution demands rose), the lessons and few principles we take from them doesn't mean "general purpose devices are failing to have a place". Two totally different observational inferences..

The other problem arises when you compare computers, to mechanical devices meant to do something a computer can never do, but you attribute prior the raise of "Cloud Computing" (this isn't really rising, and will be essentially vaporware for the forseeable future in consumer applications of serious scale until costs, and ethics issues pertaining to privacy and ownership are dealt with, but this is a broad topic that must be discussed with specificity, cloud computing doesn't actually mean anything tangible currently). Yet the same cloud computing is driven by general purpose devices like computers.

Also the reason we have less incentive to resuse computers, is because better versions are constantly being released. The same will happen to the Roon Nucleus the moment the next-gen version is released. Likewise with single purpose devices like Amps.. eventually they will fall out of favor, and not be reused. This has NOTHING to do with "general" vs "specific" purpose devices, and has everything to do with economics and the paradigm of planned and intrinsic obsolescence that is upheld by closed source tech development, and non-modular thinking/product offerings.

This is profound: computers are cheap so we can have many of them. And with many cheap computers the complexity-driven management problem is a gating factor.

So this is the heart of my observation: we can have a lot of inexpensive compute power, and we will revolutionize our world, if we can solve the management problem, if we can reduce complexity, which requires single-purpose devices.

And I think this will drive a revolution that will dwarf what computers achieved so far, with vast quantities of single-purpose computers, building on but inverting the general-purpose machine revolution of the past 50 years.

The complexity with cheap computers is due to new features and standard evolving, while companies try to create products that adhere to new standards (as selling points), while also retaining backwards compatibility/legacy support for older systems. Single purpose devices like an AMP/DAC can suffer this just as easily by not offering support for older tech and interfaces. So the "complexity" is self inflicted by not letting go of older pieces that should have been retired ages ago in favor of better modern standards.

When you conclude with the middle sentence about "which requires single-purpose devices" if we are to reduce complexity, this is simply preposterous. Because I can easily take this down a ridiculous path with respect to computers and create an enclosure nightmare where it will be a daisy chain of parts all just doing one singular thing. A simple motherboard would have at least like 10 different devices that can be hooked up enclosure to enclosure. PCI-E interfaces, storage, PCH, CPU socket, temperature probes, sound portion, graphics, fans, I/O hubs for each, power delivery, volatile memory interfaces. And all things like this is before I even mention the software stack required to make this work (unless you're proposing a single company provide all of these parts in-house).

We don't actually need one device to do just ONE thing. As long as the device meets the needs of purpose, and other parts we don't use don't impede on user-case or cost. General purpose devices will never cease. That isn't to say single-purpose are dying or anything, because with single purpose, you have singluar focus to refine such product. So if you need generally higher quality, or UX needs, then that option is there for you at usually much higher cost for little return (which is why you see devices like the DX3 Pro from Topping, while a multi-purpose device, it still mops the floor with some incredibly expensive and niche "single purpose" products). Complexity can be reduced when you have an effort to do so. And when the cost to do so is lower than simply making a single purpose product that is equally as complex, that single purpose product ceases to be relevant.

It should be obvious that I am primarily talking about the software stack. The hardware is often general purpose, with a specific device purpose we can simplify and optimize it, but the challenges I discuss are primarily in the software.

And it isn’t that Windows or MacOS are poorly designed. They are well suited to the purpose. But that general purpose makes them complex, which makes them ill suited to the purposes we have now.

These single-purpose devices are typically based on Linux, but the point is not that Linux is easier to manage when used as a general-purpose system. Its advantage is that it can be fitted to a specific purpose, because of a modular architecture but more importantly because the open licensing model. So while Linux as a whole is complex, Roon Labs can build a simple Nucleus based on Linux.

Ah I am glad you now went into software side of things. The thing with software, is it's "general purposness" can be constantly pin-pointed, or generalized at whim. I explained prior the problem with Mac/Windows, and by extension the reason you hold such beliefs, is because they are failures in the natural order of prosperous economic and technological advancement. The stupidity of closed-source, and the hoarding of ideas under "trade secrets" is what staggers progress. Linux can be more general purpose than either, yet be as specific as any custom software solution essentially. The reason is because open-source can share ideas, and Linux is built on a foundation of being modular. So complexity that you spoke of prior, can be instantly trimmed away at will and with relative ease. Don't use the blunders of the idiotic closed-source product community and it's pitfalls and technology stagnating effects and relate them to "general vs specific purpose" devices.

Software stands to make many things obsolete in the hardware realm given enough computing power (heck we even have emulators of devices that are only found in landfills these days). And just like that, as you yourself agree, the issue can be solved with the proper outlook and open-sharing of ideas. Not simply "purpose built" under all circumstances.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end you speak a bit about setting up Roon and such, and how your purchase made sense because it didn't allow the complexity of having the ability to install Office or Photoshop (I don't understand how the ability to do so increased the complexity of you installing what you wanted but alright).

Most of your ideas are grounded in a soft of bias based on conflicting ideas in the sense. While you do save yourself when you speak about software. You're unwilling to go to the finish line to realize that "purpose built" has almost nothing to do with viability in reality with respect to the general trend. You attribute the idea that computing devices of general purpose will fade, but that is only because of artificial economic push/demand of general public. Yet don't mention the only reason this can happen is due to the democratization of technological progress, and the end of wasteful/bloated software stacks and hardware builds by people looking to maximize profit at all stages of product creation.

Also, when you have a general public (due to economic realities) that still requires NEEDS be met first, the trend to go and buy a Nucleus over a NUC and such are far smaller than those that would do the opposite. Also you've tried to hit on many points, but argue with ambiguous terms, like "complexity" not actually being contextualized in all aspects where you use such term, or "general purpose". Otherwise, we would be seeing strictly e-mail devices being offered on the market that simply just handle e-mail (which we don't).

Good post, but could do with further elaborations I would say.

Anders V

From your post on the Roon board, I will reply to each section as I read it, so as to explain the natural opinions formed as one might read it, even if later portions explain things in more required context.

All devices start as specific purpose, so your recollection of history isn't valid. With respect to computers, single-purpose devices are the things that are folded into general purpose computer feature-sets. This is all driven by the litmus test provided by objective economics of supply/demand. If a technology has mass appeal in terms of "mandatory" application, and makes sense to be a part of a computing stack, then the attempt to bring it to a computing "general purpose" device will be attempted (so as long as the cost isn't astronomical as it usually is when using the single-purpose version).

If after that there is a market that demands high-performance versions for such function, a single-purpose version will be refined or created (if computers already killed the single-purpose version prior to joining the fold of "computers").

Software driven devices are especially prone to never fulfilling your sort of reasoning simply because there aren't many people willing to pay a price premium for the Roon Nucleus that you have, compared to a NUC and network stack that at least fulfills the performance requirements (read/write speeds, as well as things like wireless performance perhaps, and things of that nature). Single-purpose devices will never overtake what ephemralization's effects are in the mass general market (empheralization is the concept of doing more with less, like CPU die density increasing while die size decreasing on the nanometer scale every generation, while also increasing performance AND at the same time decreasing power usage).

Unless you start seeing devices that can offer value higher than offered along with a "computer", this sort of paradigm shift you envision is not going to happen with the way the hardware and software sectors operate currently. Especially even more unlikely when you take a deep philosophical dive with how Intellectual Property stands to always continually stifle progress attempts in specific purpose devices, and the price premium that is paid because of close-source products.

At the end of the day, it ALL has to do with costs, and when you have industries the rely on one another (there isn't a single product out there that I know of that handles ALL of its hardware and software design for a computing device, which is why you will never see a device like a motherboard made FULLY in-house).

Turn of the century, and turn of the last decade or two are totally different, and cannot be comparable in the slightest with respect to topics of contention. Cost of ownership of my workstation/performance PC is simply removing my fan filter, and cleaning them once per two weeks, and changing the thermal paste once per year just for good measure on the CPU/GPU. There is no other serious cost aside from electricity. Again, the demands of a few decades ago were nothing to what they are now (in the same way a general purpose iPhone 30 years ago wouldn't have been needed today, but good luck living without a smartphone today in any major metropolis).

Another reason why general purpose devices like computers today aren't going anywhere, is if they offer modularity, they can always be upgraded and made to fit the times. The Roon Nucleus device, will instantly be obsolete by relative comparison when a new version of it hits. That isn't to say we aren't seeing the destruction of the general purpose computer (by soldering all parts to it's motherboard for instance in laptops mainly), but this is just economics flexing and stabilizing with respect to entities seeing what they can get away with. So with respect to "general purpose devices going away", you may have a point, but without actual context, anything can be argued. You MUST give specific examples, because the economic aspect hasn't been spoken much from your side, and it needs to be.

As for complexity, this is a design/UI/UX issue that can always be honed, hardware or software regardless, so not a valid complaint. The argument you make with this claim can be logically argued in conclusion by someone like me saying "Okay so there is value in people not willing to take the time to learn something, yet be willing to pay astronomically for a simple single-purpose device". That's not how the general flow of human awareness unfolds. Compared to the general population of 500 years ago, we would be similar to gods with respect to understanding and insight.. same thing here, and dumping a NUC in favor of the Roon Nucleus will never be a mass-market thing simply due to the massive price difference if not anything else.

Incorrect, while proponents of Moore's Law said it would continue with exponential pace (like the idiots that they are), the ever progressing pace of technology is a natural law in the same way something like natural selection is. So as long as the conditions for it to be fostered exist, machines are always improving in general. Not just machines, but technology in totality. While we can't take along with us, all improvements and have them applied in the newest revision of a product (like the odd kitchen appliance product failure you spoke about) we still take the lessons and scientific reasoning with us, and apply the base tenants with respect to goals in mind. There are no "economics" that will ever prevent the attempts technology makes in doing more with less (the ephemeralization I talked about prior), otherwise we would still be using rocks instead of pneumatic hammers. So while some products will utterly fail the test of economics (like plasma televisions did with their non-ability to scale with resolution, and instead ballooning power requirements as size and resolution demands rose), the lessons and few principles we take from them doesn't mean "general purpose devices are failing to have a place". Two totally different observational inferences..

The other problem arises when you compare computers, to mechanical devices meant to do something a computer can never do, but you attribute prior the raise of "Cloud Computing" (this isn't really rising, and will be essentially vaporware for the forseeable future in consumer applications of serious scale until costs, and ethics issues pertaining to privacy and ownership are dealt with, but this is a broad topic that must be discussed with specificity, cloud computing doesn't actually mean anything tangible currently). Yet the same cloud computing is driven by general purpose devices like computers.

Also the reason we have less incentive to resuse computers, is because better versions are constantly being released. The same will happen to the Roon Nucleus the moment the next-gen version is released. Likewise with single purpose devices like Amps.. eventually they will fall out of favor, and not be reused. This has NOTHING to do with "general" vs "specific" purpose devices, and has everything to do with economics and the paradigm of planned and intrinsic obsolescence that is upheld by closed source tech development, and non-modular thinking/product offerings.

The complexity with cheap computers is due to new features and standard evolving, while companies try to create products that adhere to new standards (as selling points), while also retaining backwards compatibility/legacy support for older systems. Single purpose devices like an AMP/DAC can suffer this just as easily by not offering support for older tech and interfaces. So the "complexity" is self inflicted by not letting go of older pieces that should have been retired ages ago in favor of better modern standards.

When you conclude with the middle sentence about "which requires single-purpose devices" if we are to reduce complexity, this is simply preposterous. Because I can easily take this down a ridiculous path with respect to computers and create an enclosure nightmare where it will be a daisy chain of parts all just doing one singular thing. A simple motherboard would have at least like 10 different devices that can be hooked up enclosure to enclosure. PCI-E interfaces, storage, PCH, CPU socket, temperature probes, sound portion, graphics, fans, I/O hubs for each, power delivery, volatile memory interfaces. And all things like this is before I even mention the software stack required to make this work (unless you're proposing a single company provide all of these parts in-house).

We don't actually need one device to do just ONE thing. As long as the device meets the needs of purpose, and other parts we don't use don't impede on user-case or cost. General purpose devices will never cease. That isn't to say single-purpose are dying or anything, because with single purpose, you have singluar focus to refine such product. So if you need generally higher quality, or UX needs, then that option is there for you at usually much higher cost for little return (which is why you see devices like the DX3 Pro from Topping, while a multi-purpose device, it still mops the floor with some incredibly expensive and niche "single purpose" products). Complexity can be reduced when you have an effort to do so. And when the cost to do so is lower than simply making a single purpose product that is equally as complex, that single purpose product ceases to be relevant.

Ah I am glad you now went into software side of things. The thing with software, is it's "general purposness" can be constantly pin-pointed, or generalized at whim. I explained prior the problem with Mac/Windows, and by extension the reason you hold such beliefs, is because they are failures in the natural order of prosperous economic and technological advancement. The stupidity of closed-source, and the hoarding of ideas under "trade secrets" is what staggers progress. Linux can be more general purpose than either, yet be as specific as any custom software solution essentially. The reason is because open-source can share ideas, and Linux is built on a foundation of being modular. So complexity that you spoke of prior, can be instantly trimmed away at will and with relative ease. Don't use the blunders of the idiotic closed-source product community and it's pitfalls and technology stagnating effects and relate them to "general vs specific purpose" devices.

Software stands to make many things obsolete in the hardware realm given enough computing power (heck we even have emulators of devices that are only found in landfills these days). And just like that, as you yourself agree, the issue can be solved with the proper outlook and open-sharing of ideas. Not simply "purpose built" under all circumstances.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end you speak a bit about setting up Roon and such, and how your purchase made sense because it didn't allow the complexity of having the ability to install Office or Photoshop (I don't understand how the ability to do so increased the complexity of you installing what you wanted but alright).

Most of your ideas are grounded in a soft of bias based on conflicting ideas in the sense. While you do save yourself when you speak about software. You're unwilling to go to the finish line to realize that "purpose built" has almost nothing to do with viability in reality with respect to the general trend. You attribute the idea that computing devices of general purpose will fade, but that is only because of artificial economic push/demand of general public. Yet don't mention the only reason this can happen is due to the democratization of technological progress, and the end of wasteful/bloated software stacks and hardware builds by people looking to maximize profit at all stages of product creation.

Also, when you have a general public (due to economic realities) that still requires NEEDS be met first, the trend to go and buy a Nucleus over a NUC and such are far smaller than those that would do the opposite. Also you've tried to hit on many points, but argue with ambiguous terms, like "complexity" not actually being contextualized in all aspects where you use such term, or "general purpose". Otherwise, we would be seeing strictly e-mail devices being offered on the market that simply just handle e-mail (which we don't).

Good post, but could do with further elaborations I would say.
We are obviously so far apart that debating is meaningless.
Instead, let’s make a bet.
I bet that in 2050 there will be 100s of billions of smart and connected devices, billions of them “computers” in the classical sense (desktops and laptops and servers including cloud), tens of billions personal handhelds, and the rest “ambient”, and that the median bill-of-materials cost will be below $1.
You state your bet.
And we meet up here in 2050 to compare.

Shadrach

I have carefully followed the latest trends in computer to DAC playback for many years. And those trends are really a reflection of a philosophy by a small number of zealots who populate one or two forums. The trend in digital playback is to eliminate the computer as much as possible. Of course, the computer is needed and it can never be totally removed from the playback chain. But that's the goal.

IMO, computers offer many advantages to digital playback. Those advantages range from building a better digital attenuation method to utilizing computer power to build better digital reconstruction filters to make DACs work better and offer great possibilities for multi channel playback. Finally, powerful computers can even improve the acoustics at seated position. All of these improvements are easily measured objectively and subjectively.

But the computer Audiophile zealots don't like the computer's power. They don't like to use technology in the above described way. They only want a low power and low function computer which can only do one thing: playback 2CH music. There isn't even a theory. Some say the computer is noisy and therefore the noise must be stopped. What noise are they talking about? I've never heard any computer noise associated with playback. When I had a TT, I sure could hear noise associated with vinyl playback. But modern DACs are so well designed, there's no way computer "noise" could even be audible, if it exists at all.

What about the evidence or measurements that powerful and useful computing power degrades playback? I've seen no such evidence.

So I ask, has the so called "computer audiophile" become the new neurotic audiophile? Are these people clamboring for the next micro rendering Linux box or whatever totally insane? IOW, is this another USB hub hysterical circle jerk. It all seems to repeat over and over again like the Audioquest jitterbug or the embarrassingly designed Regen.

Here's the latest mass hysteria thread:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-fact-or-fiction-28490/index2.html#post539581
I think things are changing, at least with some of the FBA people I know.
On the question of power, well, it doesn't take much to cope with redbook, so why bother with more than you need.
Unfortunately, imo, many who use FBA have gone down the 'hi rez' route and this does require more CPU power. Eventually the advocates of DSD and 24/192 may acknowledge that you can't actually hear any improvement and that Shannon and Nyquist had it about right.
Then there is the thorny issue of the current fad in digital room correction..........the few system I've heard utilizing this haven't sounded any better to my ears than a thoughtfully planned out room with 'stuff' that is domestically acceptable placed in strategic positions. Sure, they measure nicely at the points the measurements were taken but those I have heard seemed to suck the life out of the sound. It may be accurate, but I haven't liked it.
Then there is the strange business of 'streaming'. I've never been to sure exactly what this means. For many it seems this is files acquired over the Internet and transfered without wires to a receiver, or acquired from a NAS drive and received in various parts of the home; musak in every room.
I built a couple of 'music servers' when they were the hot thing to have. They worked okay. Another nice looking box on the tea trolly but then not having a mobile phone or tablet I really needed a screen to view the album art and choose tracks. Basically I was back to having a computer but a rather expensive and fiddly computer for what I wanted it for.
I went the trackball route instead of a phone and large print on the screen.:)
There was still a problem though and it was called the Internet. I've never actually seen one but I got told by every computer expert I came accross that I should have a firewall and an anti virus and an add blocker and loads of other stuff running if my computer was to be running around the globe. All that stuff chews up CPU like nobodies business and if you've got a Microshite distribution on your hrdware it seems every time you turn the computer on it wants to bugger off on the Internet, play with it's mates and tell everyone your business.
'I just want to play tunes man' just isn't in the computer on Internet vocabulary.
I sold the servers and bought a cheap laptop. They come with a screen attached so that was good and after ripping out the hard drive and replacing it with a small SSD and a bit of tinkering with the fan in the BIOS I ended up with a very quiet COMPUTER!
Now there's thing called Linux. It doesn't have nearly as many 'friends' on the Internet as Microshite and best of all, it doesn't gossip about the stuff you do when you're trying to listen to tunes.
Now I did think I might want to use the laptop for the internet, but I really didn't want the bad guys stealing my files or infiltrating my hard drive; you just don't know what appalling taste in music they might have for a start.
A partition with another Linux OS seemed to sort this; one for the big bad world and one stay at home softie.
Oh arr, I kept the trackball and chose even bigger type face.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Forty pages of what?

First time I am seeing this thread and going by the topic, if a streaming service like Tidal -

1. Allows me to upload my local music library (I have a lot of content not on Tidal)
2. Lets me apply DSP at the server end
3. Streams directly to a Roon endpoint (which is already here I suppose)

I will throw away my computer, external HDD and subscribe to said streaming service. At least 1 & 3 should do it for me. I have a miniDsp device doing the DSP for me now. Running a headless computer is a pain in ass.

suttondesign

Forum Donor
I can't say that I understand all of this discussion, but I've long been running music server macs since 1998 or so, and, for the last ten years, mac minis for the same purpose because they're so wonderfully compact. So, for over 20 years, I've always taken the digital output from the macs into a nearby DAC and then into a regular audio system. It has afforded me wonderful flexibility in selecting from a huge library of digitized music stored on hard drives.

Most recently, using Roon running on the mac mini, I can have additional tiny DAC's in other rooms, next to an airport express. I can control everything headless, via an iPad running Roon, or even Splashtop to control the mac mini's roon interface directly. I barely access the hard drives any more since Tidal has almost everything anyway, but in any event, my collection + Tidal is all easily managed via Roon.

My point is, I've never paid any attention to what I get from the digital output of the mac. I always just figured bits was bits and that all that mattered was using a good-quality DAC thereafter. At present, I have the best-sounding systems I have ever had, by far, using mac minis followed by RME and Topping DACs. With good heaphones, amps, and speakers, the sound is so far beyond any conception of what was possible in 1978, when I started out in audio, that I cannot imagine bothering with trying to tweak the data itself. Why is that even a thing? All I want is great sound with as little complexity possible, and with my current rigs, I feel like I've really nailed it. Not cheaply, mind you -- the heaphones, amps, and speakers are far from cheap, but that's old tech, and I don't change those things out until they blow up.

Tks

Major Contributor
We are obviously so far apart that debating is meaningless.
Instead, let’s make a bet.
I bet that in 2050 there will be 100s of billions of smart and connected devices, billions of them “computers” in the classical sense (desktops and laptops and servers including cloud), tens of billions personal handhelds, and the rest “ambient”, and that the median bill-of-materials cost will be below $1.
You state your bet.
And we meet up here in 2050 to compare.

Far apart? The only thing we're far apart is precise diction with respect to what defines "general purpose" vs "specific purpose" devices. You shift the meaning of each implication as often as you start talking new sections of your post. What you're saying is to ambiguous, and because of such, it doesn't mean anything. My points were made to illustrate that you aren't actually making validly consistent points. What you are doing is giving a take on the justification for buying a Roon device costing multitudes more than, and a supplimental device with it that costs around $500, (both of which far out-price a NUC or an SBC which could be used to do the same thing while still retaining capability to run some form of an operating system that isn't gutted for example).

Again, I don't disagree with your choice, I disagree with if you are implying that because you did this, the world is going to shift suddenly to this sort of paradigm, and what my argument was is, the economics is what dictates shifts of that caliber, not much else. All things held equal, there is no way the majority would do what you did when price points are currently what they are. Sure you get all the fat trimmed from your User Experience with having to deal with annoying issues on general purpose devices that you try to run in the Roon ecosystem, but as I said... This will only make sense for the majority, when it makes economic sense.

No one is disagreeing that there will be far more interconnected devices in the future, that is the natural progression of things. So I don't know why you proposed this bet to me.

I understand my post was extremely long, but I have a tendency to be comprehensive and fully understood as much as I can. I don't like to leave room for interpretation. I understand what's why you maybe wanted to cut the talk short because of that. But this wager doesn't even make sense to me is all considering "cloud" services are already existing, they're just called "cloud" now as a hip investor luring lingo for new initiatives in industries that are boring otherwise in terms of sales pitches. For instance, this website is run on "the cloud", so as long as computing needs are proliferating, the "cloud" is constantly growing as well. There is no disagreement here on that strict statement.

Top Bottom