• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Computer Audiophiles Are Anti-Computer

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What is it I need data to verify, Amir:
- That sporadic high current draws cause noise injection on the ground plane of the motherboard?
- That MicroRendu SEEM to be addressing this?
Both. Do you have that?

Mivera

Major Contributor
I'm going to be releasing a micro computer just like the Microrendu soon on my website. The main difference will be that it runs Roonserver. So you won't need another computer in the system running Roonserver like you do with the microrendu. Plug the tiny little computer into the USB port of the DAC with an adapter rather than cable, and use a mobile device for the roon GUI. It has 1 USB 2.0 port for the DAC, and a USB 3.0 port for an external hard drive. It can also find files located anywhere on the network. NAS, computer, USB port on a router etc. It also doubles as an Hqplayer NAA and Airplay receiver. I'm willing to send one in to Amir to measure against the Microrendu. It can run off the IFI Ipower power supply just like the Microrendu, so it would be an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Oh I'm sure the audio kids can "hear" computer PS issues and Santa Claus. I think I've seen "high end" SATA cables fer chrissakes.
Only limit is the imagination, which is no limit at all.

John Kenny

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Both. Do you have that?
What do you think is the logic behind Keith Johnson's suggestion that you so assiduously cling to?
What might be the underlying reason why sporadic activity on a computer may be detrimental to the sound?
Any suggestions?

Mivera

Major Contributor
Have Frank listen to it via Youtube so we can tell how it sounds and whether it has those dreaded artifacts

Best to have Amir measure it. The best way would be using the USB to SPDIF/AES/EBU bridge I sent in. He can measure 3 setups

1: His server build connected to my bridge

2: His server combined with the Microrendu in roonbridge mode connected to my bridge

3: My server connected to my bridge.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What do you think is the logic behind Keith Johnson's suggestion that you so assiduously cling to?
What might be the underlying reason why sporadic activity on a computer may be detrimental to the sound?
Any suggestions?
This has nothing to do with the question you asked me. So I repeat: when you have a theory that this and that electronic tweak (as separate from architecture) needs to be accompanied with data.

Take Audioquest Regen. Lots of theory was put forward that it does this and that to clean up USB. Folks bought that argument with zero data. Then I and others measured and showed that the output of the DAC not only did not get cleaner but actually had more noise components. And that the person behind it which is also behind this latest streamer, didn't have the means to measure audio performance.

Measurements would have shown that what he thought he was fixing, he had not fixed. It is against this landscape that I ask for data.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Best to have Amir measure it. The best way would be using the USB to SPDIF/AES/EBU bridge I sent in. He can measure 3 setups

1: His server build connected to my bridge

2: His server combined with the Microrendu in roonbridge mode connected to my bridge

2: My server connected to my bridge.
My apology for being so far behind Mike. My son is getting married this week and I had to get the Entreq tested as that is on a short term fuse. Your setup requires a lot more set up and I just have not had time to do it.

Mivera

Major Contributor
My apology for being so far behind Mike. My son is getting married this week and I had to get the Entreq tested as that is on a short term fuse. Your setup requires a lot more set up and I just have not had time to do it.

That's okay. Maybe you could just skip ahead to this latest test instead. I think it would be the best comparison, and it would be simple. I know a guy in your area with a Microrendu he may be able to lend for the cause.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Best to have Amir measure it.
Science doesn't know everything, not everything can be measured, blah, blah.
OTOH, audiophiles can hear everything, especially the stuff science doesn't know about yet.
So record the "sound" of your widget via your cel phone, post to Youtube, have Frank clear it for artifacts.
Then, the final step to confirming audio greatness, is not controlled blind tests, but rather, sending it to Bruce Browne of Puget Sound. JKeny let me in on this little secret, so it's really no secret any more.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Science doesn't know everything blah, blah.
OTOH, audiophiles can hear everything, especially the stuff science doesn't know about yet.
So record the "sound" of your widget via your cel phone, post to Youtube, have Frank clear it for artifacts.
Then, the final step to confirming audio greatness, is not controlled blind tests, but rather, sending it to Bruce Browne of Puget Sound. JKeny let me in on this little secret, so it's really no secret any more.

I'm willing to send this in for the purpose of science. There will be plenty of people sharing subjective results already. It's also going to be only $350 so it's a great alternative to a full sized computer for those on a budget.

Mivera

Major Contributor

Mivera

Major Contributor
Oh you've turned into one of those deaf lab coat people. Ok.

On this forum subjective results don't matter. But suppose the measured results were exactly the same as the $350 laptop (Which I highly doubt) . My device still has the advantage that it requires absolutely no setup and can hide behind the DAC so you would never know it was even there. Just plug it into the USB port, power adapter and Ethernet port to a router/wireless extender, and the Roon app running on any mobile device or laptop will find it. Add as many devices you want to the network for unlimited zones. You can just assign 1 unit as the main library. Another bonus is it will seamlessly switch from Roon, Airplay and Hqplayer NAA. Whatever is sensed it will automatically turn on, and the other 2 will disable. No remotely logging into a browser panel to change modes.

Last edited:
OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
:DAmir, do you need anything else which can be donated in the name of Science? In case you didn't already know, your AP buyer agreement mandates that you dispel any internet audiophile rumor or supposition for free.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
your AP buyer agreement mandates that you dispel any internet audiophile rumor or supposition for free.
The AP agreement states you must don a lab coat and stuff putty in ears when measuring, not that Amir wasn't stone deaf already

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am shocked that Amir is old enough to have a child of marriageable age!
Keith.

Top Bottom