• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class A Aleph 3 clone Measurement

dumpingg

My test setup which is based on a Windows 10 laptop, REW software, Focusrite Solo 3rd Gen and DIY attenuation/connection box is described here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ement-setup-panasonic-xr57-avr-example.10589/

1577824427047.png

I recently purchased a China built Aleph 3 Class A power amplifier clone. It is a clone and it is based on a Class A amp that I knew in advance does not measure well and is definately not going to win any low noise/distortion awards. But, just for the heck of it, I wanted to try out the Class A amp with my bi-amped Magnepan 1.6 speakers. I am using the Class A amp on the tweeters and a second different Class-D based amp on the woofers. The Pass approach to amplifier design and management of distortion products (especially 2nd order) in the spectrum is described in a whitepaper about distortion in amplifiers here:
http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_dist_fdbk.pdf.

Here are some photos of the Clone unit:
1577824996174.png

1577825032098.png

Looking at the internal photo you can see that the signal cables are routed close to the power wires and transformer. I did try rerouting the signal wires but that did not seem to improve the my measured results.

Anyway, I must say that despite the fact that this amp does not measure well, it really sounds good on the tweeters of my magnepans. Especially on live vocal and jazz type music giving a live air type feeling to the music.

The real non-clone version of the amplifier was previously measured by stereophile here:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/pass-labs-aleph-3-power-amplifier-measurements
From my measurements, it appears that the clone is similar in performance (specifically figure 7 in the referenced link above but the y axis scales/ranges are different).

Here are my measurements: ***(UPDATED MEASUREMENTS later in this thread)
Pass A3 4ohm 5watts 1khz tone.jpg

Pass A3 4ohm 19k and 20k tone approx 30w.jpg

Attachments

• Pass A3 4ohm 19k and 20k HF IMD linear.jpg
    Pass A3 4ohm 19k and 20k HF IMD linear.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
OP
D

dumpingg

Well I also have a Behringer UCA202 USB sound device. the Focusrite is a balanced sound device that I use RCA to 1/4in adapters on. Measuring with the UCA gives better results. Looks like I have some setup debugging to do.

1577894102029.png

OP
D

dumpingg

Attached is an updated 19k/20k dual tone -4dBFS signal which was the maximum REW would allow me to set in the signal generator utility. I used a TOSLINK connected DAC as the source to try and remove some of the apparent ground issues. This is also with the input sensitivity raised to the max (@-5.49dBFS) on my soundcard before clipping made the measurements wacky. I think these measurements compare favorably to what was posted on the stereophile review linked above. As this is a dual tone signal, my voltmeter trueRMS did not sync to it and I don't know the exact wattage but I had the amp set at max volume.

Pass A3 19k 20k dual tone 2.jpg

OP
D

dumpingg

And just for completeness, attached are additional measurements taken with my Focusrite Solo but driven with the TOSLINK optical attached DAC generating the 1khz tone. While these measurements look worse than the 1khz one taken above with the UCA202, take a close look at the y axis and noise floor. The Focusrite is digging deeper into the noise floor to show lower level details. Also the Focusrite sound card allows me to adjust the input sensativity to pretty close to 0dBFS before clipping. Unlike the UCA202 that maxes out at -4dBFS.

1khz, 5watts at 4ohms
Pass A3 4ohm 5watts toslink 1khz source ffocusrite sound card.jpg

1khz, 5watts at 8ohms
Pass A3 8ohm 5watts toslink 1khz source ffocusrite sound card.jpg

pma

Major Contributor
Good, but please do not forget that you are still tuning measuring method errors rather than measuring amplifiers.

OP
D

dumpingg

Top Bottom