• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class 1 Measurement Microphone 1/2", 1/4" vs class 2 calibrated

B&K makes a 3mm pressure field microphone. In the documentation it says "Type 4138 can also be used for random-incidence measurements at audio frequencies, where its frequency response is less dependent on angle of incidence." On the product page they show the response at various incidences and indeed, it is much better than a 6mm mic with only ~1dB difference between the random incidence and 0 degrees. It also says "Manufacturing and Stability Due to its small dimensions, an 1/8-inch microphone should be treated more carefully than, for example, a robust, 1/2-inch microphone," so watch out!

4138.png

Last edited:

No. 5

Interesting! Thank you for sharing that, as that is the kind of high frequency performance that I was hoping for. There's one of those capsules on eBay right now for $750... if only I was made of money.

Looking around at earset microphones, since they often use 3mm omni capsules, and on DigiKey for 4mm and under capsules, and it looks very promising that a person could make a mic with that kind of high frequency (lack of) directivity if one was feeling ambitious.

ScottG

..really it should be "ripped apart" (modified) with a new shell on it to remove the reflection from the female jack.

I can envision doing this for a multi-mic setup for your verticals when doing full polars (where just the horizontal axis needs rotation).

I think the "Pro"/paid version of REW does multiple mic's each with their own calibration file, not sure about Arta.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the "Pro"/paid version of REW does multiple mic's each with their own calibration file,

Yep. The tricky bit (which I hadn’t anticipated) is getting the levels all the same for each mic.

Top Bottom