• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Chord Hugo M Scaler - Stereophile Review (measurements also)

Purité Audio

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
My eyebrows raised, I kept reading. Referring to the figure reprinted here, the text states that "The Hugo M Scaler takes a rough stairstep CD quality waveform and transforms it into a smooth analog-like waveform. That quantum leap in sampling brings a breathtaking leap in detail, accuracy and realism to your music."

Cant really argue with that!
Keith

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My eyebrows raised, I kept reading. Referring to the figure reprinted here, the text states that "The Hugo M Scaler takes a rough stairstep CD quality waveform and transforms it into a smooth analog-like waveform. That quantum leap in sampling brings a breathtaking leap in detail, accuracy and realism to your music."

Cant really argue with that!
Keith
Ah, the old 'stairstep' fallacy!
Oh, and a 'Quantum Leap' is the smallest possible change, (by one Quantum of energy) not a big one, so maybe 'quantum leap' is right.

Purité Audio

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If I see ‘staircase’ anywhere except in a Busby Berkeley musical...
But seriously as a competent designer wouldn’t a statement like that , presumably dreamt up by the marketing department vex?
Keith

Jimbob54

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally, someone else who realises this.
Clearly neither of you ever watched either Quantum Leap (which actually ran forever) or the shittest of the modern Bond films, Quantum of Solace, which merely felt like it did.

KSTR

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ah, the old 'stairstep' fallacy!
Now if the customer has one of those true NOS DACs (or runs an AK449x-based DAC with filter set to NOS), the M-Scaler actually does improve the output from the "rough stairstep" to a nice sinc-filtered one (if that DAC acceepts the high sample rates, that is), haha!
Marketing is BS as usual but that's the inevitable ugly face of marketing to the masses.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
. I have yet to see anyone who has heard it say that they did not hear a difference, including JA's review and some who have commented on this thread, and one would hope that they cannot all be wrong (although it remains a possibility, as is me winning the lottery - life is full of possibilities).
That’s the rub of our disagreement right there. The probability that it DOES make an audible difference in a controlled test is the one that is as small as the lottery. The probability that it doesn’t make a difference is closer to a certainty.
Sorry you were silenced, I guess we are boring everyone. For my own part, I like to get these things articulated better, and this idea-that we need to run out and try things because someone’s primed expectations were fulfilled-is an omnipresent audiofallacy, much like the “market success=proof of audible improvement” fallacy, on which I wrote at length here.

Double blind test? Serious? You understand that test is subjective, therefore doesn't belong on this forum.

Again, the mathematics back up the M-Scaler.
I like this forum, I learn a lot, and I'm a scientist. But double blind randomised trials are most certainly OBJECTIVE and scientific.

In contrast you can take all the measurements you want as accurate as possible, but if you can't explain what those measurements mean to the human experience, perception or emotional state, well they are just measurements without meaning.

It's like the issue of finding that an experiment is statistically significant at 0.05 without knowing the power of the test, the effect size and the probability of a type 2 error.

Mnyb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Now if the customer has one of those true NOS DACs (or runs an AK449x-based DAC with filter set to NOS), the M-Scaler actually does improve the output from the "rough stairstep" to a nice sinc-filtered one (if that DAC acceepts the high sample rates, that is), haha!
Marketing is BS as usual but that's the inevitable ugly face of marketing to the masses.
That's the real twist , many of the owners of such NOS dac do roll their own filters and up sampling in software and of course the coveted NOS DAC has such a high "resolution" that you can hear the difference of the filters :D

icenine

I am an owner. The BIGGEST difference I've listened to are CD's upsampled to max. Many sound stellar to me. SACD, DFF, DSD not so much but probably my total ownership of those is maybe 7% of all my music. To me much of the playback has more more and a bigger soundstage.