• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Hugo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 78 25.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 111 36.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 88 29.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 8.3%

• Total voters

JimFarrell29

Well, you could argue that 'tubers with more than a million subscribers are by definition irritating to the nearly 7 billion people who aren't subscribers.
I stand by my massive tit comment, though, unlike Axo, I bear no animus to people from Queensland. They run the risk of being eaten by a massive salt water crocodile every time they go to the shops, and therefore have my respect.

DonR

Major Contributor
Yeah my mistake, it is the original Hugo not the 2. His voice can be a bit grating, even worse when he has no cold, but he is an extremely well-regarded engineer in the industry and runs one of the largest engineering forums at EEVBlog. The ad hominem attacks were just what I expected from lay people who get their bubbles burst :p. Note that he consistently praised the engineering of the Hugo and said he would have no doubt it would perform well. I guess people take exception to his use of the terms audiofoolery and audio wankery but of course, again, he is spot on in his assessments. :D

the_brunx

Well, you could argue that 'tubers with more than a million subscribers are by definition irritating to the nearly 7 billion people who aren't subscribers.
I stand by my massive tit comment, though, unlike Axo, I bear no animus to people from Queensland. They run the risk of being eaten by a massive salt water crocodile every time they go to the shops, and therefore have my respect.
sure argument. its very irritating when they don't even understand/speak the language.

JimFarrell29

1 million subscribers disagree with you.
Yeah my mistake, it is the original Hugo not the 2. His voice can be a bit grating, even worse when he has no cold, but he is an extremely well-regarded engineer in the industry and runs one of the largest engineering forums at EEVBlog. The ad hominem attacks were just what I expected from lay people who get their bubbles burst :p. Note that he consistently praised the engineering of the Hugo and said he would have no doubt it would perform well. I guess people take exception to his use of the terms audiofoolery and audio wankery but of course, again, he is spot on in his assessments. :D
I just get pissed off with playground insults from adults who should know better. Personally I wouldn't buy a Hugo 2, but don't see the need to call people who do names.
I don't understand folks who spend 15 grand on a watch which won't tell time any better than a Casio, but don't dismiss them as fools. Their priorities are different from mine. I've bought some expensive gear in my time, and aside from it being well built and looking great it has lasted me 20 years. That seems good value to me.
Also his astonishment that a company might use their own proprietary DAC circuit betrays a degree of ignorance regarding the hifi world.
And if you don't know about a subject, I suggest avoiding generalised criticism. Also, he says "No Worries" way too much.

DonR

Major Contributor
I just get pissed off with playground insults from adults who should know better. Personally I wouldn't buy a Hugo 2, but don't see the need to call people who do names.
I don't understand folks who spend 15 grand on a watch which won't tell time any better than a Casio, but don't dismiss them as fools. Their priorities are different from mine. I've bought some expensive gear in my time, and aside from it being well built and looking great it has lasted me 20 years. That seems good value to me.
Also his astonishment that a company might use their own proprietary DAC circuit betrays a degree of ignorance regarding the hifi world.
And if you don't know about a subject, I suggest avoiding generalised criticism. Also, he says "No Worries" way too much.
The difference is people who buy expensive watches don't imbue them with magical properties. The fact that the Hugo's batteries are not user-replaceable indicates to me a lack of longevity. The case at first glance appears to be overbuilt but given its portable nature, I think that is the correct move from Chord.

JimFarrell29

"The difference is people who buy expensive watches don't imbue them with magical properties"
I'm not entirely sure that's true. Many of them feel wearing a fancy watch makes them a different person entirely.
I agree about the batteries. A poor choice in such an expensive product. I also think the colour coding interface in Chord products is insanely poor ergonomics.
Also he is on the money re cables, etc. Still, no excuse for incivility.

DonR

Major Contributor
"The difference is people who buy expensive watches don't imbue them with magical properties"
I'm not entirely sure that's true. Many of them feel wearing a fancy watch makes them a different person entirely.
It could very well be that wearing an expensive watch has strong psychological effects on a person and that certainly is not magical but I don't think they suspect the watch is a better keeper of time. I have never seen any premium watch company making that sort of claim.

JimFarrell29

Please keep in mind that "Chord Electronics" (the DAC people) ≠ "Chord Company" (the cable people).

They're different companies.

https://chord.co.uk/
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/
Indeed they are. I don't recall suggesting they were the same company, but thanks for pointing that out. It is confusing. I actually quite like Chord cables. Their budget ones are decently made and not too expensive, as is their speaker cable. I used to buy them years ago. Unfortunately the good budget US cable brands are generally not available in the UK.
Now I use Mogami interconnects and SKW speaker cable, because it looks great, is very well constructed with decent materials, and has fantastic interchangeable connectors. It doesn't sound any different to any other cable, however. At least to my ears. Others mileage may vary.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
What a massive tit. I hope his poor neighbour, who he has just dismissed as an idiot and a wanker, doesn't see this. Or does, and never lets him borrow his lawnmower again.

I mostly don't get why grown-ups do that either. The gratuitous and graceless wankery of his neighbour anecdote really was the fundamental for my dislike, his unfortunate vocal style/delivery added the non-euphonic harmonics. But see below on YT stylings.

Yes, I'm not one to use YT subscriber numbers as a metric/proxy for goodness vs thruthiness. Otherwise Amir < Darko < MKBHD < PewDiePie. Which is at least debatable. :)

Haha I'm from NSW so dissing Qld is less animus, more long-standing tradition. But I did complete my primary school years in Darwin, so that's a fair point re crocodile cred.

Yeah my mistake, it is the original Hugo not the 2. His voice can be a bit grating, even worse when he has no cold, but he is an extremely well-regarded engineer in the industry and runs one of the largest engineering forums at EEVBlog. The ad hominem attacks were just what I expected ...

I'm reacting to his YT persona, not his person. Who knows what he is like face to face (at least I don't, some of you might)? His disparaging banter may be a style choice, and the YouTube platform obviously rewards antagonism and hyperbole. I take YT in very small doses, accordingly.

Last edited:

Scrivs

Forum Donor
While I would have omitted the provenance of the Hugo, my inner child grinned a bit every time the word “wankery” was uttered. Well deserved in most cases. Isn’t that what ASR is partly about- exposing exploitative practice, misrepresentation, snake oil, etc?

Dave comes across sincerely and isn’t afraid to call bullshit it as he sees it. He’s my YT equivalent of Amir- he’s been especially helpful wrt providing me with info/data/qualified opinions as I zero in on my first “real” Oscilloscope. I find his narrated teardowns especially helpful/revealing.

And, my vocabulary has been enriched with phrases to include: “flappin’ in the breeze,” ”Bobby-Dazzla,” “cut-me-guts-up,” and, yes, “Wankery.”

Dave (and Amir) are rad!!

Axo1989

Major Contributor
And, my vocabulary has been enriched with phrases to include: “flappin’ in the breeze,” ”Bobby-Dazzla,” “cut-me-guts-up,” and, yes, “Wankery.”

I'm guessing if you aren't Australian yourself, all that can be novel and charming. For me it's more grating cliche and dad-jokery. But I do enjoy websites like The Betoota Advocate which deliver same as satire. I'm sure I'll mellow (aka suffer humour entropy) when I'm older. :)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hugo is getting married:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
dave jones lives in syd, north west now so...

i also saw the suzi and suzi pre and thought.... what is the utter lego nonsense???

Top Bottom