• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing USB connector

NewbieAC

Hi, I am a newbie to streaming digital sound. I have bought an Okto8 Stereo DAC, a Sonore Ultra Rendu player, and a Sonore sonic transporter. I am wondering what USB cable I should purchase to connect the units. I've been suggested that In Akustik cable for about $400. Any thoughts on these cables or cheaper options?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hi, I am a newbie to streaming digital sound. I have bought an Okto8 Stereo DAC, a Sonore Ultra Rendu player, and a Sonore sonic transporter. I am wondering what USB cable I should purchase to connect the units. I've been suggested that In Akustik cable for about $400. Any thoughts on these cables or cheaper options?

Welcome!

Do you have any normal USB printer cables around?

No need to spend extra on cables in general, particularly digital cables. Save your money.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd suggest an Amazon basics cable. It's probably more like $10.

staticV3

Master Contributor
A cable like this will give you the best possible sound quality: https://www.delock.com/produkt/84895/merkmale.html

You'd think that precious metals like gold and silver, extravagant wiring schemes, or fancy connectors would improve the sound.
However, that's just not the case. USB was designed to work at its full potential even with basic cable construction.

Any money spent on fancy USB cables that cost more than $10-15 is a literal waste of money.

RF Air

Forum Donor
I have found great results with cables from Blue Jean Cable. I learned about their products here is ASR and have purchased HDMI and Network Cables. Looking to purchase Short Speaker Cables (Banana to Spade). They sell USB 2.0 here: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/data-cables/index.htm

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
As USB audio uses high speed, any USB2 certified cable will do. True printer cables (the USB1 one's using low speed) might fail you.
If you love the emperors new cloth, buy a audiophile grade USB cable.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As USB audio uses high speed, any USB2 certified cable will do. True printer cables (the USB1 one's using low speed) might fail you.
If you love the emperors new cloth, buy a audiophile grade USB cable.
And if you have spare cash falling out of your pockets, that you feel must be given to con men.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I don't mind spending a few more quid on a posher looking cable (and I mean JUST a few pounds more) as if it's on show it pleases the eyes (we use 'UnbreaKable' USB leads for charging our phones (and data transfer) as they look rugged to the eyes and seem to withstand regular connect-disconnect cycles. Same with HDMI cables, as some just off the cheapest level can appear more substantial with gold-trimmed plugs, but PLEASE, never ever an 'audiophile type' costing loads (with often 60%+ dealer profit margin!) as it's all about deliberately screwing the unsuspecting out of a lot of money!

Plenty of articles here and elsewhere about data transfer (not music transfer in the digital domain) and how modern dacs take and sort that data into a stream that can be converted back to analogue. It's all old knowledge now and nothing fancy or 'secret' abut it.

OP
N

NewbieAC

Welcome!

Do you have any normal USB printer cables around?

No need to spend extra on cables in general, particularly digital cables. Save your money.
Thank you all for your responses. It's super clear what I need to do. Thanks for the very specific suggestions.

Top Bottom