• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rotel RCD-12 (2012-2016) - Experiences using it as a CD transport?

DTTOM37

As the title says, I am looking at Rotel RCD-12 for a good price at the hi-fi repair shop I trust.

Somehow I am considering trying again some of my recently bought CDs (Discogs pre-loudness war mainly), just because my 15 year old cheapo DVD player (Pioneer, about 79 Euros back then), sounded to my ears better over SPDIF/COAX than UPNP/DLNA streaming of the ripped version and on par with a local usb source. I had abandoned CD playing as a source in the music chain some 15 years ago and ripped actually all of my cd's.

However, this experience created the idea that looking for a transport could be an option again, and I looked at SONY CD/SACD/BD players around 250 Euros at Amazon, however I doubt that their anti-resonance strategy for this entry level products will produce any excitement. Then I saw the Rotel today, which looks solid built with a slot-in mechanism and some scratches on the top (whhich I don't mind at all for a worek horse) and was wondering who can tell me about the experience of this device as a transport only.?

Thanks in advance, Tom

Owl

I can certainly understand you renewed interest in cd's, to me, they still sound great and I enjoy the liner notes. I don't have any experience with that particular model, but I have used several players as transports with complete success. I have noticed that the DVD and blu-ray players have noisy drives, even while playing regular cd's. If you pass on the Rotel make sure you test drive any universal players before purchase.

OP
DTTOM37

DTTOM37

Thank you @Owl
Last time I looked at the offer of our loacl library I had seen about 300 SACDs for lending. That was 5 years ago or so, but empting back then.
However, I have stopped buying any physical media as daily driver for music / video around 2010 and don't own any BR or SACD. So it's just an audiophile itch to cope with.
The Sony CD/SACD/BRD would be from Amazon and sit eems to be very lightweight.
I would expect from Rotel a much lower noise drive, even I know that the medium consumer models from a decade ago aren't best at that task.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @Owl
Last time I looked at the offer of our loacl library I had seen about 300 SACDs for lending. That was 5 years ago or so, but empting back then.
However, I have stopped buying any physical media as daily driver for music / video around 2010 and don't own any BR or SACD. So it's just an audiophile itch to cope with.
The Sony CD/SACD/BRD would be from Amazon and sit eems to be very lightweight.
I would expect from Rotel a much lower noise drive, even I know that the medium consumer models from a decade ago aren't best at that task.
Noisy CD drives/servos is not uncommon. If it is very hissy, chirpy and clicky sounding then ask the tech if he may calibrate the servos as they may be calibrated a little hot. Well calibrated servos still make noise but they are usually a bit quieter than a hot setup.

OP
DTTOM37

DTTOM37

Noisy CD drives/servos is not uncommon. If it is very hissy, chirpy and clicky sounding then ask the tech if he may calibrate the servos as they may be calibrated a little hot. Well calibrated servos still make noise but they are usually a bit quieter than a hot setup.
Thank you @Doodski Would you suggestion be valid for slot in drives (as with the Rotel), too ?

Top Bottom