• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chinese Drivers

tiramisu

I've been looking at aliexpress and driver specs.
There are some pretty compelling graphs. You could design a very nice pair of passive 2-way bookshelf speakers for under $1K CAD.
Which is about 7 Benjamins in Freedom Bucks.

If you ask them to test them before sending can you get reference quality direct from manufacturers or is the QA shit?

MachOne

Aliexpress is really hit and miss for QA. Given you can get some great drivers for not a ton of money from reputable vendors close by, I'm not sure it's worth the risk. Also, unless you love building things, I'm not sure DIY makes much financial sense these days given what you can get off the shelf for the same money or less. Sorry to be a downer :D

OP
T

tiramisu

Aliexpress is really hit and miss for QA. Given you can get some great drivers for not a ton of money from reputable vendors close by, I'm not sure it's worth the risk. Also, unless you love building things, I'm not sure DIY makes much financial sense these days given what you can get off the shelf for the same money or less. Sorry to be a downer :D
No that was what I was looking for. Thanks. I want to build a pair of two-way passive crossover flat reference speakers from scratch. mid-woofer and tweeter. I might add a subwoofer for movie nights but mostly I want to use them for dialog.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Tangband drivers from Taiwan are great but no longer a bargain. But well within your budget. You don’t have to go to China in that budget. Madisound and others have kits for less than that using Scanspeak drivers.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say that in general it's best not to drive, over there. One of the few times I've been scared for my life was riding the backseat of a Toyota Crown (an upscale Toyota sedan not sold in the US). Mr. Huang had taken the wrong expressway entrance ramp, and instead of driving to the next off ramp and turning around, simply put the Crown in reverse, and backed up the in ramp. If it wasn't so nutz, it would have been funny. Cars entering the expressway ramp, navigating around our car, which was moving backwards up the ramp. Why we weren't killed by any number of large tractor trailers entering the expressway is something I can't begin to explain.

And let me tell you about the time there was no parking spot at the Guangdong Hot Springs resort (which I heartedly recommend for total relaxation). Huang just jumped the curb, parking on an extended sidewalk in front of the hotel. No one seemed to care, one way or the other.

It's really ride or die over there.

...um...er...wait a minute. Is that the topic, here?

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
haha, I thought the same thing when I read the thread title. Around these parts it's Maryland drivers vs DC drivers vs Virginia drivers

gene_stl

Forum Donor
Actually the Toyota Crown was imported to the USA briefly in late sixties or early seventies. I saw a few of them here in St. Louis and thought they were a rather interesting car.

I highly reccomend the experience of DIY speaker building. I wouldn't bother over a two way system because there are zillions of those available everywhere.
But you probably can manage to save some money and select some better drivers than you might get in an off the shelf product. I think it would make more sense if what you wanted was a three way or three way with a sub or a four way. Multi Amp it with a crossover that allows variations ( you could start as modestly as Parts Express stereo four way DSP crossover. You can buy lots of different drivers at Parts Express without having to risk much uncertainty. There are also other suppliers (mostly higher price and profit margin)

Look up rescueaudio llc on fleabay. He has lots of big powerful professional stuff price very reasonably and stands behind his sales. I have personally bought a lot of stuff from them. (Amps and Wooofers for my center channel)

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually the Toyota Crown was imported to the USA briefly in late sixties or early seventies. I saw a few of them here in St. Louis and thought they were a rather interesting car.
According C/D, the company is set to introduce a 'new' Crown to the North American market. Appearing to be some sort of quasi-electrified crossover of weird, almost indeterminate ovoid shape, not from the typical Japanese Jet Jaguar school of automotive design, but a bit more organic. Interior more minimalist, abandoning the hitherto 'JVC Boombox' style of cabin feng shui.

It's a Toyota, so in America it'll probably sell like chocolate chip pancakes at the 'kids eat free' day at IHOP. Even at it's less than proletarian MSRP. JBL is said to be providing the tunes. At the price point, and for something stylish and different, I'd go for the Arteon. Both me and one other person, possibly.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I've built DIY speakers and I feel you can get more for your money up to a point. I don't know what that point is, but a speaker manufacturer can do more advanced testing, tweak the design, try different drivers, etc. It also depends on what you do for a cabinet & finishing. Solid hardwood with a nice finish can be expensive as well as time consuming. My standard-cheap solution is to wrap the speaker in leather-look viny (like a guitar amp/speaker). Brown "blends-in" with wood furniture, but used white once, with black grill cloth.

If you don't mind a larger cabinet that can be a DIY advantage. Manufactures often compromise and make a more compact cabinet which is cheaper to built, ship, and stock, and many customers want smaller speakers, especially for multichannel setups. A larger cabinet isn't always better, but it's one constraint that you can eliminate.

I would NOT buy from Aliexpress, eBay, or unknown 3rd party Amazon suppliers, etc. Try to find drivers from reputable manufactures where you can go to their manufacture's website for specifications. It's really the manufacturer that's important. Parts Express, MadiSound, and maybe Simply Speakers are good places to start.

For the mid-woofer get the Theile-Small Parameters and then use speaker design software (such as WinISD) to optimize cabinet design and predict performance.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
And let me tell you about the time there was no parking spot at the Guangdong Hot Springs resort (which I heartedly recommend for total relaxation). Huang just jumped the curb, parking on an extended sidewalk in front of the hotel. No one seemed to care, one way or the other.

It's really ride or die over there.

...um...er...wait a minute. Is that the topic, here?
Sounds like almost total relaxation to me... you know, absent that first part.
:cool:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what I thought of when I read this thread title.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
This is what I thought of when I read this thread title.

1658688593565.png

The splash photo for the second YT video above reminds me of the the stop sign at the bottom of the Expressway ramp to the Callahan Tunnel (and, thence, to Logan Airport) in Boston, pre-BigDig. :) (not nearly enough vehicles, though)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With all due respect to the Chinese the Indians I think reign supreme with their "rocks and sand" driving philosophy. Mario andretti is not qualified to drive in India.

MinMan

View attachment 220260
The splash photo for the second YT video above reminds me of the the stop sign at the bottom of the Expressway ramp to the Callahan Tunnel (and, thence, to Logan Airport) in Boston, pre-BigDig. :) (not nearly enough vehicles, though)
There are un-regulated 5-way intersections about suburban Boston including one in So. Weymouth where only one blinking yellow light hanging 15 Ft. above warns of oncoming vehicles from 4 directions other than the one you are on. Not something to be attempted with an auto-rickshaw.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There are un-regulated 5-way intersections about suburban Boston including one in So. Weymouth where only aone blinking yellow light hanging 15 Ft. above warns of oncoming vehicles from 4 directions other than the one you are on. Not something to be attempted with an auto-rickshaw.
I lived in the Boston area for over 22 years, and I still make my way down from northern NH to teach a grad-level course "in town" one day a week in the fall semesters. I am way familair with the vagaries of roads, traffic, and drivers in the metro area. :)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like almost total relaxation to me... you know, absent that first part.
Word of advice when planning your vacation, and for those who have never been there. Hotel beds are rock hard. Probably better for your back, but not what Westerners are probably used to.

Below is the Crown. Nice car. I've masked faces, to protect the innocent. Also, although traffic signs are often ignored, one learn to obey the sidewalk signs. Everything in its place and a place for everything... :cool:

toyota.jpg

tourist.jpg

kipman725

Try SB acoustics drivers they are very good value and have good quality control. There may be good drivers on aliexpress but you have no way of knowing, it dosen't seem worthwhile unless your going to be ordering pallets of drivers and can afford the cost of buying and testing samples. Also the shipping quite often makes them nowhere near as good a deal.

Top Bottom