• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap preamp (100 euros)

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a behringer control 2 usb which is a monitor control with a phonostage usb in and many output's for multple active speakers or amplifers, each channel can be level matched so no surprise in gain.volume when switching from my turntable to a cd

It has the down side that it's pretty quickly gets noisy do to dust, i once cleaned it and it worked, i also have antother one little problem with it, the increments are not stepless, and sometimes going up just one notch can be to much.

I want a noise free peramp wqith atleast 4 inputs and 1 out

Here are 3 audiophonics preamps but what are the difference ? Only the power circuit ?

Anther option an audio source selector and a passive volume knob, it's just don't have enough gain the way i have adjusted my active studio monitors

Using a tube preamp the sound changes to much (have one)

Any other sugestion for around 100 eurso,4 inputs 1 out, stepless volume knob (no just 2 buttons) and preferable in black from a european store

(update it's more an attenuator than a preamp so the voulme is most likely to be to low in gain,output)

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
for $100 usd or whatever its basically chinese gear in this case, rebranded

douk is the original china brand???

as amir keeps saying, the case with chinese gear is that for $100 usd, how can they make this thing... it has a display, metal case, the BT, the pcb. the psu, the remote and the packaging... and its $100???

may as well chance it

i personally havent seen anything i like or would trust

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I have a behringer control 2 usb which is a monitor control with a phonostage usb in and many output's for multple active speakers or amplifers, each channel can be level matched so no surprise in gain.volume when switching from my turntable to a cd

It has the down side that it's pretty quickly gets noisy do to dust, i once cleaned it and it worked, i also have antother one little problem with it, the increments are not stepless, and sometimes going up just one notch can be to much.

Here are 3 audiophonics preamps but what are the difference ? Only the power circuit ?

Anther option an audio source selector and a passive volume knob, it's just don't have enough gain the way i have adjusted my active studio monitors

Any other sugestion for around 100 eurso,4 inputs 1 out, stepless volume knob (no just 2 buttons) and preferable in black from a european store

(update it's more an attenuator than a preamp so the voulme is most likely to be to low in gain,output)
Functionally those are amazing for the price. As @TonyJZX pointed out, chinese rebrands. It would be nice to get one measured.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
if you got to ebay and plug in the preamp chipset, pga2310, njw1194, you get the usual clown shoe party of brands... weilang, brz, nobsound

of course if youre in europe and audiofonics is carrying the warranty and the price is the same, patronise the french

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

My behringer works fine for what it is and it's has alot more for not alot more than the expensive one from audiophonics (except for the flaws,cons im mentioning),if it only had what i needed it would be alot cheaper

Those few times in a year i use my Fosi audio bt20a im very happy with it and it has alot of power

My problems is when i use my non powered option theres not enough gain

Last edited:

Piere

I have the Audiophonics with the PGA2310 used for the kitchen. Pretty good low noise and low distortion. But switching the coffee mill on/off did explode my speakers with loud shots! Moved it to the study where it is more happy.

Regarding safety, it is only China Export compliant and does not comply to the other world standards. I.e. isolation distances and a cheap low level toggler for the mains.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i have a few bits of china hifi like smsl and sabaj and more traditional staples like Jungson and they dont seem to have any kind of interference or any bad behavior on 240v

i think audiofonics is doing a straight rebrand of their name and they're doing no C=tick or whatver the hell they have in europe for mains testing?

if you're going more downmarket than topping smsl sabaj ie. companies that can afford proper testnig (for the most part) then the risk is there... i mean this is douk and nobsound we are talking about

Piere

Yes, sure the Audiophonics stuff is rebrandended China stuff. I was talking about this particular one. Have seen the internals of Douk and the BRZHFi look alikes with the PPA2310 chip and those are all quite different builds. Seems the Chinese also happily copycat each other ;)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think breeze weilang nobsound douk are all brands of the same conglomo

you're choosing based on aesthethics... do you want a white led or red? black of silver case... how many inputs? 3 or 5?

if you can see the board that's better than nothing

at this price, $100 is worth a gamble IMO

Kimbrough Xu

The audiophonics preamps are just input selector, do they have tone controls?

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

no tone controls i think

Piere

No, I have not seen those cheap Chinese ones with standard high/low controls. It is a pity, can be sometimes quite handy. But I must admit that I rarely used it with my old Quad33 pre amp.

egellings

Major Contributor
for $100 usd or whatever its basically chinese gear in this case, rebranded

douk is the original china brand???

as amir keeps saying, the case with chinese gear is that for $100 usd, how can they make this thing... it has a display, metal case, the BT, the pcb. the psu, the remote and the packaging... and its $100???

may as well chance it

i personally havent seen anything i like or would trust
Cheap labor is a big contributor to the low pricing.

Talisman

Forum Donor

I have the relay version, but it's rebranded as nobsound, but it's exactly the same product. It's great for the price, the RCA inputs and outputs work well, I hear absolutely no coloration to the music by ear.
The Bluetooth seemed to distort a bit so I ended up not using it, but the remote and volume control with relays are great.
unfortunately some of the segments of the display went out after about a year (almost always on) but I would buy it again 100 times)

burkm

The units 1 and 3 are no longer sold by Audiophonics, they are discontinued. So the only remaining "choice" is no. 2 :)

Top Bottom