• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Changes at Parasound

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At one time my stereo system was a Parasound Halo P 3 preamp, A 21 amplifier, and a D 3 disc player. I thought they made made good stuff. Of course that was in my audiophile days when I also had PS Audio xStream Power Plus power cables and PS Audio xStream Resolution Transcendent silver interconnects and speaker cables so what the hell did I know.

Martin

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The amplifier is not solved. If it is solved, you tell me what to buy HERE AND NOW.
If you've not too difficult to drive loudspeakers (minimum impedance > 3 ohm), just look at Amir's amplifier chart, from the blue or green, pick one that has the power you need, with the features/look/price or any other non-sonic attributes that you want (country of origin, manufacturer's reputation, etc.).

Best stereo amplifier review.png

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, there are new ways and technologies in the future only our grandchildren could hope to understand.
Did I say anything counter to that? Did anyone? But what does that have to do with amplifiers technology? What we have already surpasses our ability to distinguish aurally. We can refine, widen the arena where that “straight wire with gain” works well, miniaturize, make things more cost efficient, but we know everything we need to know to do those things, even if we don’t know exactly ”how“ to do them (as in the materials might not be available yet). This is compared to areas of knowledge where we have clear areas where we just don’t even know how something actually works, even though we can describe its effects pretty damn well.

You seem to be taking ”solved” as meaning no more improvement at all. That isn’t how it is being used in the science.

No I never have. I like plenty of things that don't measure well, like my valves and vinyl, but I have never found anything that measured well, but I didn't like. I actually think that 'boring' equipment is a Good Thing. I don't want excitement in my playback equipment, I want that only in the music. If something measured well but I didn't like it, I would consider that my fault, not that of the equipment, and I should jolly well get to like it.

S.
Ok, that's the most reasonable thing I've heard all day..."I don't want excitement in my playback equipment". I get that for sure. If there's anything added or taken away, it's by classical definition, distortion. That said, I'm familiar with the Harman curve and why that curve might make sense in a human, psychoacoustic way. I prefer a more prominent lower region personally, but it's not for all, I get it

If you've not too difficult to drive loudspeakers (minimum impedance > 3 ohm), just look at Amir's amplifier chart, from the blue or green, pick one that has the power you need, with the features/look/price or any other non-sonic attributes that you want (country of origin, manufacturer's reputation, etc.).

View attachment 285323
No, I'm sorry I need help because there's more than one. Can you help tell me which one solves all my problems?

Did I say anything counter to that? Did anyone? But what does that have to do with amplifiers technology? What we have already surpasses our ability to distinguish aurally. We can refine, widen the arena where that “straight wire with gain” works well, miniaturize, make things more cost efficient, but we know everything we need to know to do those things, even if we don’t know exactly ”how“ to do them (as in the materials might not be available yet). This is compared to areas of knowledge where we have clear areas where we just don’t even know how something actually works, even though we can describe its effects pretty damn well.

You seem to be taking ”solved” as meaning no more improvement at all. That isn’t how it is being used in the sci

If this is not trolling, I don't know what is. Bye.
Good Lord.

Ok, that's the most reasonable thing I've heard all day..."I don't want excitement in my playback equipment". I get that for sure. If there's anything added or taken away, it's by classical definition, distortion. That said, I'm familiar with the Harman curve and why that curve might make sense in a human, psychoacoustic way. I prefer a more prominent lower region personally, but it's not for all, I ge
Good Lord.
I'm not trolling, but I'll I agree I suck on here. I'm sorry.

You seem to be taking ”solved” as meaning no more improvement at all. That isn’t how it is being used in the science.
Yes, maybe I'm focusing too much on one word. I'm not a troll so please forgive.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
How do you like its sound? I've heard they're very good with lots of detail.
Like any good amp it doesn't have "a sound". They were used in many recording studios. Powerful, clean, transparent and bullet proof, with a 25 year warranty where they send you replacement parts if you don't want to send it to a shop.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
No, I'm sorry I need help because there's more than one. Can you help tell me which one solves all my problems?
That depends on what you call "all of your problems." From a standpoint of audibility, it's just a matter of choosing something with adequate power and operating area for your speakers, room, and desired volume. For non-auditory purposes (looks, feel, features, brand loyalty), you're on your own.

In my case, the JC 5 worked very well. But I don't really feel the need for something that physically large with a concomitant price tag. I just want similar power capability, and the amps I'm using at the moment exceed that, are 10% of the price and size, have lower distortion (which, to be fair isn't audible), and run cooler and more efficiently. But for sure, they don't look as impressive and aren't branded with Curl's name. That stuff isn't important to me, but if it is to you, then be happy with what you have.

As others have noted, the "advances" in power amplifier are in size, efficiency, and cost, not actual sound, but we're pretty close to the limit there as well. John's niche is recycling his 1978 designs into different form factors and branding, but that's commercial work, not actually technology.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
John's niche is recycling his 1978 designs into different form factors and branding, but that's commercial work, not actually technology.
I have observed something similar in the turntable segment, for example, with parts from OEM supplier Hanpin. For decades now, many new models of turntables have been rolled out, but in the end they only contain cosmetic changes to the surface and carry different company labels, the basic components, the technical performance or data does not improve, although it would be very easy to make, it would cost very little to do so, but it does not happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIY
Top Bottom